The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i wounder if it's possible to keep a cap and ball revolver loaded in a safe way, with no risk for accidential discharges?

Is there any safety option avaible? Of course i could just skip putting on the caps, but it would take long time to put them on one by one, could i put on all at once, or something like that?

Any ideas?

Another though, i can just find revolvers with a 6-shot capacity cylinder, i would like more shots, is there any cylinders avaible with more shots that fit these 6 shot revolvers?

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
I haven't had a cap and ball revolver in 30 years but I seem to remember a little notch between each chamber in the cylinder. If so, can't you set the hammer in one of those notches?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i havent got any revolver yet, it will be my first BP revolver, so i seek information about them, so i really don't know about those notches.

But the problem with the caps is that they easy can be discharged, if i for example would drop the cylinder/revolver it could go off, so the hammer isn't the only problem..

I belive i would have to keep the caps apart from the main charge, it seem to be the only safe way to keep it loaded, but would there be any way i could put those caps on all at once?

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
would there be any way i could put those caps on all at once?
The answer to that question is basically NO! There is no such thing s a "speed loader" for a black powder revolver, or at least not that I have ever seen or heard of.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
There isn't any way to cap all six at once, you have to do them one at a time, and yes there are notches on the Remington repos that will let you rest the hammer between the cylinders safely and Colts have a raised pin on the cylinder that corresponds to a recess in the hammer that holds the gun in between cylinders although it's not as positive a stop as the Remington.

The nipples are inside of a recess in the cylinder and are fairly well protected from getting hit with anything that's bigger than the nose of the hammer.

If you are at the range, don't load it until you plan on shooting it, if you are carrying it while hunting load and cap five and rest the hammer on the empty cylinder.

As to more than six shots the only repo that I'm aware of is the Le Mat revolver, it holds 9 .44 cal rounds in the cylinder and the cylinder's arbor is a 20 gauge smooth bore for firing shot.

Reactions: Firpo

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
No sir, cylinders with more than 5 or 6 rounds are not available. It isn't as simple as just changing cylinders.

SA's have been carried for 180 years safely just as Griz described. Safety isn't in the firearm, it's between your ears.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I carry with six loaded with the hammer between chambers either in the Remington notches or on Colt pins but I use period correct holsters that don't leave the hammer spur exposed.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The answer to that question is basically NO! There is no such thing s a "speed loader" for a black powder revolver, or at least not that I have ever seen or heard of.
Actually...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts