SAFN-49 Questions

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Moskovskyya
    (1/18/02 9:49:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All SAFN-49 Questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now that we've verified that I shinned the poor pawn shop guy, I'd like to report that I dis assembled and cleaned, and fired 40 or 50 rounds this aftenoon, man this rifle is really acccurate. I was a little worried at first, the bore is somewhat frosty, and rifleing is "shallow" looking, not deep and sharp. It looks like the Garands and other american pieces, and it shoots great. I got just over 2" groups @100 with LC M2 ball. Now for the questions! I have another one, thats an Egyptian 8mm, and its painted, this one is blue, old and somewhat thin in the usual wear spots on the edges, is this the correct finish? I posted the 1969 with the the original post, thinking this was the date, but stupid me, that's the SN, when do ya'll think it was made with sn 1969? The bolt and carrier are white on this one, while my Egyptian is painted black, are either, or both correct? Last question, were flash suppressors standard or optional? I had previusly thought they were removed for import purposes, but neither of these have one. The Egyptian is a Century import, but the LUX is not import marked.

As a bonus, when I cleaned it up, I found 6 rounds of French (I think) M2 ball head stamped 7.62 MOD.49 in the cleaning kit hole under the trap door.

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/19/02 9:12:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SAFN-49 Questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The FN49s were originally blued rifles - the Egyptian ones were mostly arsenal rebuilds imported by century that have been black painted. A lot of these rifles were originally issued with a nut cap over the threaded end - I believe only the Venezuelan 7mm contract came standard with a flash hider. Most of the FN49 contracts were small delivery orders of a few thousand here or there, such as about 3,000 for Luxembourg, 2,500 for Columbia, etc. The Egyptian contract was about the largest with about 40,000. (These numbers are only approximate, drug up out of a dim memory of something I read). My Columbian 30-06 is 0519, my Luxemborg is 1902, I have four Venezuelans in 7mm ranging in serial numbers from 1139 to 6086, and three Egyptians ranging from 11833 to 30797. Most of the FN49s were made from the early to the late 1950s, eventually replaced by the newer "Black Gun" FALs.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Moskovskyya
    (1/19/02 9:53:32 pm)
    BiSL, thanks a bunch, I was somewhat worried about the blue finish, all I have seen were painted. The blue on this one IS expertly done ond obviously old! I think via your info its original, my deal is looking better all the time, thanks again!

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/02 6:04:27 pm)
    I was off today playing around with my camera and computer.
    Don't get nervous now, I don't think I did too much damage!
    I think I have a picture of the $200 Luxembourg FN-49, try this link to have a look!
    www.alltel.net/~kcsys/luxfn49.jpg

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/26/02 7:30:27 am)
    It looks pretty - but I do kind of wonder if it has been refinished. If I remember right, there is a cartouche in the right side of the butt portion of the stock on mine. Anyway, you really got a deal at $200!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Cabinetman
    (2/2/02 10:37:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del You paid WHAT!!??
    $200!! You better go to church tomorrow and put some bucks in the plate to ease your concience!

It's a real beauty and sounds like it's in really nice condition. All the SAFNs are hard to find, today, so you not only got a great price but a rare and getting rarer rifle to boot.

My Egyptian is all blued and shoots very tight groups. It think it's one of the most handsome rifle in my collection, besides the M1.

Rome

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (2/3/02 2:22:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: You paid WHAT!!??
    I don't know how I missed this thread before, but just got done taking a peek at the picture and you made out like a bandit on this one. WTG!!!!

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum