The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when it comes to my father's hunting rifles, I must confess I know very little about them individually. I typically only laid eyes on them as I was following him through the woods at 5am freezing my butt off, and he had about a dozen rifles that all seemed to me to look identical.

Fortunately, I do have his personal inventory notes for most of his hunting rifles. The record for this Sako includes:
".243 Winchester"
"24in Bull Barrel"
"Blued Steel / Walnut stock w Rubber Butt Plate"
"Woven leather strap"

The scope is a Leupold 12x, but I was not able to locate a model. The scope serial is 394113 if that's helpful. I know he wasn't shy about shelling out cash for high-end scopes, but I can't say if this is one of them.

Lastly, many of his rifles (including this one) appear to be magazine fed. So far, I have not found any rifle magazines in his house.

IMG_9257.JPG
IMG_9258.JPG
IMG_9259.JPG
IMG_9260.JPG
IMG_9261.JPG
IMG_9266.JPG
IMG_9267.JPG
IMG_9268.JPG
IMG_9270.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
This is the nicest rifle you have posted so far. It uses no detachable magazine but is loaded through the top. It is often termed as a Varmint Rifle due to the heavy barrel and light caliber. The scope is a good match to the gun. The wood looks a bit fancy. If the gun is very clean and nice it is in the 1000 plus range. Some ask a lot more but have a hard time getting it.

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
Ye sir, that one is the "creme' de la creme'"of all you've posted so far.

I believe the scope is the typical Leopold target Scope with adjustable objective lens. If the cross hairs are very fine I suspect that is exactly what it is. Very good scope, I had one. I wouldn't speculate on a value. Being fixed power it isn't going to be as desirable today because everyone thinks they need variables.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
And I might add that instead of a "detachable" magazine your gun utilizes what is called a "Hinged floor plate" The spring steel pushes the cartages up, and the latch on the trigger guard dumps them out.

·
Super Moderator
39,084 Posts
To add to what ysacres said, that thing you got hanging out of the rifle in the third picture IS the magazine.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
The magazine is the storage space for the ammunition not in use. The parts showing are the Follower and Follower Spring attached to a Hinged Floorplate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts