The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone familiar with yopon tea? Made from the leaves of a shrub that grows on the NC outer banks islands. The European settlers learned to drink it from the natives who inhabited the area. My FIL was born and raised in Manteo on Roanoak Island and would talk about the "ol timers" making and drinking it.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Very interesting thread Carver!
Before we knew how to make it and didnt do any research on how to do
it, we went out and got the bark. Boild it and added some suger and
drank it down. (wasnt that bad at all) Plenty of sassafras tree's in this area.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,914 Posts
Sassafras tea is one of the treats I look forward to when I get over to visit family and friends. I managed to bring back some liquid concentrate called Pappy's; it's a little like the difference between instant coffee and fresh ground coffee, but it still has the flavor.
I've been rationing it out.

The other treat I look forward to is sorghum.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
Sassafras trees are indigenious to south east Alabama. When I was a boy out in the bush, I ran across them often. I would just break off a twig and chew it, I enjoyed the taste. Some of the family would dig up the roots and make tea. I don't believe it will hurt you.

If someone was padding the FDA's pockets like the big pharmaceuticals do, they still would allow it with a little warning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
chew on em every week while out hiking the rivers.. usually wild onions too. and maulberrys if a tree or bush is in season. various shrooms as well. but those need cooked. Indiana wildlife sucks, but we got all the good plants.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
They grow from Ohio to the gulf thru the Eastern U.S. You just need to find some where you live in SC. Check with some wild life management types, and they just love to grow along fence rows.
Yes we had it along with many, many fruit trees, berries, herbs, plants, roots around our property in Ohio, many just growing wild in the fields.

My favorite however was the spearmint that grew along the creek in our yard! If you just picked the leaves it smelled better than a box of spearmint gum.

Made great tea! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi, used every spring when living at home, my dad said it was a spring tonic, we belonged to the lcoming county beagle club and there was a sassafras tree everywhere you looked

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.