The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I have a Browning BPS Field grade shotgun with a satin finish. I really like the looks of a gloss finish and am curious if anyone here has ever refinished with a gloss coat or simply applied it over the satin finish. I’m not opposed to doing it myself but certainly want it to look good.

Thank you!

CRF28

·
Premium Member
9,633 Posts
I am working on one right now.
You have to get all the satin finish off before you add a gloss finish.
It is a SUPER PITA because if you do not get all of the satin finish off it "Balls" up and makes the gloss finish rough looking.
I would say just leave it as is.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
The satin finish must be stripped completely before you apply a gloss coat otherwise you can have problems. Have you ever seen a clear coat on a car that has "crazed"? It's caused by using a top coat that isn't compatable with the base coat. The same thing can happen to your Browning. Either leave it alone or strip it to bare wood and sand it clean of any finish that Browning applied to it before you try to put a high gloss finish on it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This may be a stupid suggestion, (But) hit it with some Furniture wax and see what it does to improve the aesthetics for you.

Reactions: CRF28 and Grizzley1

·
Premium Member
19,978 Posts
I wax my wood stock shotguns. It will bring up a shine. Sometimes you need to do it two or three times.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
It isn't a stupid suggestion Ken, I've used a good quality liquid buffing compound to polish True Oil finishes to a high gloss after sanding with 2000 grit paper. I like Maguires Clear Magic, or is it Crystal Magic. anyway it's for the final buff on automotive clear coats. The stuff works great for a release agent when glass bedding too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input. You’ve pretty much convinced me to leave “as is” for now. I may try the wax process and see how it looks.

CRF

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Got pics of the stock? They used an oil finish, and a poly finish. The poly is easy to make shine, just do it like a car finish like Grizz said. The oil finish they use, is best left alone. Shiny things on a shotgun doesn't help when you bird hunt, especially doves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts