Savage 110 Light FP Hits

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

rooster5
    (11/14/02 12:12:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All missfires often
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello to all you folks on the forum,"great bunch of people"
    i have a savage mod.110 30/06 and the problem is that it will missfire pretty often.
    even when it fires the primer is only lightly dented,i have tried different brands of ammo and it makes no difference.
    i have taken the bolt out and manualy let the cocking piece down,an d it appears that the fireing pin is forward enough out of the bolt face,that it shoulden't missfire,like it does,the fireing pin spring also seems to be strong enough.
    im am just about at my wits end with this rifle,could someone please help me on this problem.
    thanks a lot folks,rooster5

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/14/02 6:18:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: missfires often
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Rooster5, and keep the faith
    I'm sure 1 of are resident afficiados will be along shortly to answer your question.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/14/02 11:06:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: missfires often
    If the primer is slightly dented then that tells us the firing pin is not extending far enough or not with enough force. Take the bolt to a gunsmith and have him clean and/or repair the bolt,firing pin, firing pin spring.
    Edited by: warpig883 at: 11/14/02 5:35:36 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/14/02 5:27:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: missfires often
    I'd also get a spare firing pin & firing pin spring too rooster!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/14/02 6:24:56 pm)
    Could be excessive headspace too. I'd take the entire rifle to a gunsmith and have him check it out.

rooster5
    (11/14/02 10:47:30 pm)
    thanks a lot guys,i'll take your advise,and take it to a pro.
    rooster5

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/02 5:10:57 pm)
    too strong a firing pin spring, or too weak a hammer spring, and good catch on the headspace. Gunsmith.
    Rich