The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m considering building my own long range shooter. I have heard excellent things about the savage 10/110 line. I am curious are the actions the same no matter the stock configuration? I found a deal on one in the caliber I want. Can I just take it out of the hunting stock I don’t want and put it in a MDT chassis?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
That's the advantage of the Savage rigs. Switch parts till you puke!!
Got 5 and not one of them is dressed like it was born.
All of my rigs are set up as bench guns. Think fence posts for stocks and straight pipes for barrels. All at least 15 + pounds.
From my Wildcat "20 TCM" on up to 6.8 SPC with a bunch in between. Even went a little smaller with a 17 VHA but too small to pick up bullets when reloading so it got kicked down the road.
All my rigs will shoot bug holes with 5 shot groups that can be covered with a dime.
IMHO, the 10/110 16/116 Savage rigs are the ONLY way to go. :)

·
The Ole Gun Crank
775 Posts
Mikie, Has the rigs.
I have 3 that I built 2-110 actions and 1 -112 BVSS. I built the 112 for long range it started life as a 22/250 now its a 243AI with a few tricked out options like a Nightforce Scope and Ken Ferrell 20 moa base. 58 clicks puts me on at 1000yrds. Sharpshooters trigger set to 4 oz. large bolt handle and a thicker recoil lug.. I have two stocks for it one is a fence post 4" forearm the other is a thumb hole. The thumb hold rig weighs just under 9 lbs. the fence post just under 17lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
My first Savage is a 110 V. It was chambered in .223. I'am guessing I got it back in the mid to late 80s? Started out shooting ground squirrels in the back 40 on a friends place. Deadly accurate.
That rifle has been a test bed for a bunch of different calibers. It'll be with me till the day I die, and maybe even longer. ;)
It has been chambered (by swapping barrels) in .223, .221 Fireball, 22 BR, 6 BR, .308, 20 VT, 20 VT "short", and a few others that I can't remember.
Working on a "20 TCM" wildcat at present. Doesn't feed like I want but got a follower from a Remington action with an XP design that tilts the round up and into the chamber on bolt closing. Might just solve the feeding problems.
All my stocks (laminated wood) are either pillar bedded or have V Blocks fitted. Metal to metal contact between action and V Block.

As it sits right now, the 110V is mounted on a Richard's-Micro Fit "Wildcat Camo" stock chambered in 6.8 SPC with a Pac Nor Stainless Steel 24" straight pipe. Wears a long range fixed power scope. No adjustment changes from 100 to 400+ yards. Just a little holdover gets the CLANG on past the 400 yard mark. Cheap scope? You bet. Beats seeing your rig fall off the bench and seeing your high $$$ scope bite the dirt.:eek:
The 10/110 - 16/116 are the easiest to build from. Bunches of after market drop in parts available. The 110 V was the early version rifle/actions that were an odd size. Cross between the now long action and the now short action. (what were known as a "J" action) Quiet a few of the "J"s were built as single shots.:cool: Pretty hard to find fitted parts for. Had a "custom made" scope mount made to fit all the action mounting screws. Can't tell it from factory made. Mix and match new mounts, cut and re welded to get the fit I wanted.
Did get a new 116 rig in Stainless Steel, took it home, broke it apart and built it into a 22BB by swapping bolt heads and fitting it with a single shot follower. Fitted it on a Joel Russo A5L (laminated A5L style) laminated wood stock in San Francisco Camo. WAS chambered in .204 Ruger but sold the stock and barrel without ever firing a shot. I wanted that action!
All my rigs have tactical (longer) bolt handles for easier bolt lift. Tried one T&T job (time and true) on one of my rigs but wasn't one bit impresses. Longer handles work better, IMHO.
Over the years, I have discovered what works and what doesn't. No expert, just experience.
Short rounds like the .221 Fireball won't work (feed and extract) on the Savage actions so, single feed to the rescue. No ejector rods, fired brass stays on the bolt head till you pick it off. And no chasing brass either. You build what you want.
Next mod/addition is the 6.8 SPC barrel out for an "Octagon Barrel" re cut. Going out in the next few days. 6 O Clock has been marked so the flats come out right and barrel is still head spaced for the round. Should be interesting and a real looker. Had this idea way back but couldn't put it together. This finally showed up. :cool::cool: I'am on it!!;)
(You are being redirected...)

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
Savage 110's are great shooters. I bought my first Savage over 37 years ago a 110C in 30-06. Switching to a MDT chassis should not be a problem. I would speak with a person that sells the chassis, if you have any concerns they would be better suited to address them.

·
Registered
22LR, 223, 6mm, 6.8, 6.5 C and PRC, .308 .357mag, .40 S&W, 410 bore, 12 ga.
46 Posts
I’m considering building my own long range shooter. I have heard excellent things about the savage 10/110 line. I am curious are the actions the same no matter the stock configuration? I found a deal on one in the caliber I want. Can I just take it out of the hunting stock I don’t want and put it in a MDT chassis?
I like Savages. Mine is 6.5C, 308Win, 6.5PRC Stealth Evolution in the Drake Chassis with MDT Folding Stock. I built a seperate bolt for the PRC. All of the barrels are Savages. I am hoping to add a 6.8 Western to the family.

The Axis are different from the 10/110. There isn't a difference with them between a long action and a short action. 10/110 Short actions have 3 spacings. The newer 2 are either a 4.275" action screw spacing or a 4.4" spacing. After 2005 they are all 4.4". The 2 digit 10,11,12, etc are short actions and 3 digit 112,116 etc are long action and they are 5.062" ever since 1958. More info below. Very happy with my semi custom. I am sure you will be too. :giggle:

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Even picked up a Model 12 "left hand" repeater action.. Wanted to try shooting a lefty right handed. Got an ambi stock, mounted the Model 12 and headed to the range. LOVED IT!!
Ordered up a right hand thumb hole BR style laminated stock, plugged the right hand bolt cut, re cut it on the left side. Bondo plugged the right bolt cut. Touch up (Magic Marker) covered the plug, covered the stock in clear poly. Action mounted on a Whidden V Block. Single shot converted.
Right hand stays in the thumb hole while my free left hand feeds ammo and works the bolt.
That same Model 12 lefty action also works for my rear grip SP build. Right hand controls the stock and the left works the bolt. Set your mind to it and you can do just about anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Even picked up a Model 12 "left hand"short action repeater. Wanted to try shooting a lefty right handed. Got an ambi stock, mounted the Model 12 and headed to the range. LOVED IT!!
Ordered up a right hand thumb hole BR style laminated stock, plugged the right hand bolt cut, re cut it on the left side. Bondo plugged the right bolt cut. Touch up (Magic Marker) covered the plug, covered the stock in clear poly. Action mounted on a Whidden V Block. Single shot converted.
Right hand stays in the thumb hole while my free left hand feeds ammo and works the bolt.
That same Model 12 lefty action also works for my rear grip SP build. Right hand controls the stock and the left works the bolt. Set your mind to it and you can do just about anything.
I really like that idea. I am going to look for a lefty action.

Below is my switch barrel SA Savage. This is with the original 24" 6.5C barrel. The 308Win is 20" and the 6.5PRC is 22" and has a separate bolt. I would like to get a 6.8 Western in 24" or 26" in a CF Savage Prefit.

Here the Mil/Tac Night Vision Bridge is removed. The scope is a Sightron 10×50×60 SIII in Mils w/illuminated reticle. The rings are Xtreme Hardcore Gear Force Recon Tactical Rings with a level housed in the the rear lower.

It has a Riton X1 Conquer 6×24×50 too. Tripod is a Bog Pod and bipod is a Magpul and extended to show length. It has a Bag Rider and Monopod too.

20210528_203055.jpg

Resized_20180912_202104(2)-1.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want the barrel and the action in 308 in a savage 10. You can find a deal on a baseline for about 500 maybe less occasionally or if you happen to find out a lightly used one. The mdt chassis I want is 500. So I’m at a grand but I have the barrel action in the chassis I actually want the I can continue to build off by adding glass, tripod etc......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally bought the Stealth Evolution to get the Drake Chassis and the Target 10 Action for $1130.00, so the Bolt and Barrel were free so to speak and we were able to be shooting it right away. I have built 2 more Jeweled Savage Bolts. Got a thinner 20 MOA Rail with Level, and Rings with a Level also from Hard Core Precision, and have a .30 bore Ultimate Titanium Comp too. Switched out the Magpul PRS Stock that came with it for the MDT Folder. I used the Magpul on another rifle build. Works great. Also switched out the Acutrigger for a Rifle Basix, much better for me.

So not counting the Glass and Pods, over the few years that I have been building the switch barrel, has run about $2,500.00 in just rifle and parts. Charging the Magpul stock to the other rifle it is $2,200.00 total. That doesn't include tools and gauges. Still want another Savage 26" 6.5C Barrel and a CF wrapped 6.8 Western this year.

Checkout Northland Shooters Supply. A great resource. Great folks too.

Looking for the next action once they get restocked again to add a single shot to the system. May go with this one though. The problem is it's a Small Shank and the Evolution is a Large so that would be a separate rifle system, and need new barrels.

My 308 barrel is a Take Off Savage Barrel. Got the 6.5 PRC Take Off on ebay. The 6.5C was original.

I also got my Barrel Nut and Action Wrenchs from them. Their's are the best IMO.

Good luck and have fun. Savages are a kick.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
You can even go with a Stevens 200 rig/rifle at a much cheaper price. Just do a little checking around. Shooting buddy picked one up and we built another bug hole maker out of it in 6 BR.
You might look with Northland Shooters Supply. Lots of good stuff available from them. Got 3 or 4 actions from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts