The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My first posting.

I have a Savage 1899/99 (.303/lever) (sn 29254/mfg in 1903) - in very good condition. Care to guesstimate its value?

Thanks

glacierman

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Well, with out pictures it would be very difficult to give any type of guess-a-mate. One persons very good could be another persons fair to poor. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can post several pictures. The gun was a gift from my uncle to my father. My uncle was Oliver M (Jack) Knode - vice president at Savage Arms. He cared for his guns, as did my father - as do I.

(I am missing my right hand from birth; and modify my guns with an extension married permanently to the gun itself. Would not dream of doing that to this piece).

thanks,

glacierman

·
Registered
300 Posts
glacierman,

Is this a presentation rifle with an enscription to your uncle from the management?

There were several models made of the 1899 in 1903, various bbl lengths and shapes, stock options, high grade rifles and special order rifles. Pictures are really necessary to establish the Model variation and condition. Special order and high grade rifles are highly valued, specially the 1899's.

I look forward to seeing pictures.

·
Registered
300 Posts
glacierman,

You have a Model 1899B. It is a B due to the octagonal bbl. A was round, C is half and half. Special order sights, may be factory, may be not. No way to tell.

The finish on the frame looks like it is silvering with some blueing in protected areas. The barrel looks good. Wood looks right. A nice rifle.

How is the bore? If it isn't too bad I would think that the rifle should fetch between 800 and 1000 retail. If the frame finish is better that I think I saw, maybe more.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a take down version. Not real popular because 303 Savage is hard to come by and expensive!!! but they are a beautiful rifle if they are in nice shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we found a hairline crack in the stock. Sold the gun locally. If you are interested in pursuing it, see Paul at Jacobsons Gun Center, Story City, IA

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cracks in the stock are not uncommon with 99's Mine had been repaird at one point in its life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts