The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a savage 64f .22lr. I bought it brand new off buds gun shop about a month ago. The issue i’m having is as titled, light primer strikes. Usually I could handle it on my own but the thing that throws me off is it’s usually only on the first round out of the mag and only a few in a shooting session. After i get the first round to actually go “bang” the gun has no issues and runs like a champ and the primers on the spent casings are very dented and look perfect. any ideas what could be causing this? I have installed a new extended charging handle because i thought maybe with the shorter factory one i wasn’t pulling it back far enough but it has not helped. I also checked to see if the mag was slowing the bolt down or rubbing the bolt but it is not as far as i can tell. I’m running cci stingers and i clean/oil my guns religiously (Kind of obsessed with it really). Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
Did it do this when you first got it?.
If not then a good cleaning WITH OUT oil would be the first thing I would do if the gun was brought into my shop.
Remember oil is only used on a few parts of a 22. You NEVER put oil on the firing pin (Striker).
I would hate to tell you how many .22s have been brought in and the only problem was there was TOO MUCH oil and oil on the firing pin or striker.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help mike! I’ve never heard of that but i will DEFINITELY try to run it dry and see what it does! I’m kind of a nut when it comes to oiling and and cleaning my firearms haha! I tend to run them all pretty wet so i’ll try try this out and keep y’all updated! Do you think i possibly damaged anything by oiling the firing pin and keeping the gun wet? or just a good wipe down/dry off and all is well?

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
As was said you did not harm your 64 with to much oil. Other then maybe cause the problem you are having.
When you oil a gun all you do is put oil on a cleaning patch (Not drenching it) and wipe down what needs to be coated with a thin coat.
On a semi 22 I only put oil on the inside of the receiver where the bolt rides not on the bolt and only a wipe down not a drenching. Then I use a dry patch to wipe off all the extra oil.
To much oil will slow down the action and it will just give dust, dirt, and bullit blow back a place to build up and harden.
Most people do not relise that a firing pin and or striker are made to free float and never should be oiled. That includes center fire guns.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so update on the savage**
I completely disassembled the rifle and cleaned every part, nook, and cranny with a dry clean patch! Very lightly oiled just the reciever inside where the bolt rides (with a slightly damp patch as recommended) and made extra sure that there was NO oil on the firing pin. I fired 100 rounds of 22 lr. 20 rounds being cci stingers and the other 80 being cci mini mags and had about 10 malfunctions (The ammomade no difference in proformance). It seems as though i’m experiencing a feeding issue that is causing the bolt to not fully lock forward hence causing the light primer strike issues. The misfired bullets have scrapes and damage to the nose of the round (looks like you just sheared off half of the nose). That’s kind of where i’m stuck at with this rifle.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Have you tried a new mag ?
Dose the bolt close all the way when you draw back the bolt and let go with no mag installed ?

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
.22s are a PIA when it comes to the ammo you use. Try another make of ammo not CCI.
You can have 2 guns same make and model and 1 will love to shoot one kind of ammo and the other will jam with that ammo.
So again try different make ammo.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI - I have a 64 that has had similar problem for quite some time. I've found that occasional light strikes occur with many brands of ammo. I have 6 mags - 3-old and 3 just replaced by Savage due to worn lips. All of the mags have had mis-strikes with different brands. I recently tested 8 brands (150+ rnds) and CCI-MM was the worst for that. Least problems with Fed Target Gold Medal and Fed Auto-match. I had the same 'nose damage' as you described, but the infrequency leads me to believe its more the variance in individual loads than a specific mech problem. Never the same round in a mag misfire, random position in mag.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,630 Posts
If you have only had it a month or so, send it back to Salvage, let them worry about it.

Reactions: drymag

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Dry firing w/o snap cap???

Several decades ago, I dry fired so much that I only got to actually shoot real ammo out if it 3-4 times before it started acting up. I didn't read the manual. Then I was too cheap to send it off for repair. Decades later, I still have the flip up beretta 950-bs that can't shoot. Tried some amateur repair on it way back when and made it useless. A 10 dollar fix may be back then. Then again, 10 bucks was good money.

I'm waiting on a gun buy back program so I can take it in and get some ammo money! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP - Just a nother thought, Savage advises that you should use SV, not HV ammo. Also advises that RN is better than HP. I've had lots of the RNL get caught going into the chamber, scraped the nose and jammed. I tried some Stingers and they were terrible, lots of stovepipes, maybe due to cycling too fast with the HV?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
OP - Just a nother thought, Savage advises that you should use SV, not HV ammo. Also advises that RN is better than HP. I've had lots of the RNL get caught going into the chamber, scraped the nose and jammed. I tried some Stingers and they were terrible, lots of stovepipes, maybe due to cycling too fast with the HV?
Good to know. Is that in the manual or web site? I bought a 22 Savage last year and haven't had time to shoot it yet. I cleaned/oiled/stored it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I remembered that from a Youtube review I found last year. Luckily, I saved the link cause I like the guy - good sense of reality:) He made a call to Savage CS and recorded it. BTW, there ar lots of reviews of the 64, and many Mods and repairs. I have one on Savageshooters and rimfirecentral about 'fixing' the magazines when (not if ...) the feed lips wear out. All under my Fasteddie01 user.
Enjoy the vid :) youtube.com/watch?v=sCcm55baxgo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts