Savage 720 barrel fix or replace

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by fisherman346, Feb 12, 2018.

1. fisherman346

fisherman346 Member

I have a 720 about 43-44 issue. Good condition Due to amount of wear I`d guess it was issued for recreational use. But recently I`ve come to realize that a gunsmith at one time took 2 inch off the barrel and put a standard bead site on it . So what I`m tossing is replace the barrel and probably not have as good a barrel as I have now, or buy a junk barrel for the front sight and have a smith install it witch my be a little pricey considering the value of the gun.

2. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Replacing the sight will not restore the 2 inches but it may make it look better. I assume you need the bead that sits on a small mount. Keep an eye on eBay for one. They tend to show up in parts lots as they have been removed from other barrels that were also cut possibly due to damage at the muzzle.

3. fisherman346

fisherman346 Member

Probably so its not the first time i`ve seen the tip of a barrel blown off. I didn`t know any better with this gun for the sight even though I`ve had it for 40 yrs. Hardly ever shot it but always seemed to have an accuracy issue. Never seen a pic of one until last week. Even though read about them. every one I`m around has brownings or remingtons . 2 inc is no deal but getting the accuracy back would be good then I could use it again. Question do the 720 use any of the same springs and so forth

4. fisherman346

fisherman346 Member

Found my direction. Went gun corp. site just to look again and behold they had sight bases and beaded site for mod. 720. Picked up a nos friction ring also. Be looking for possibility of new recoil spring if their to be had.