The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had this .17 hmr for years, never shot it because of the extractor I assume or maybe a barrel problem. Majority of the time either extractor won’t grab or the shell is stuck whether it’s spent or ready to be fired. Just searching for solution, tips and any help I can get

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I enlarged those pics, and can see a couple of problems, both from the past, and the present. One of your extractors has been replaced, and the recess cut in the barrel is buggered up. That probably happened when the old extractor broke, and someone forcefully cycled the action a couple of times.
I can see a lot of crud in the same recesses, and most likely under the extractors.
Both extractors would benefit greatly from a cleanup, and "re-profiling".
BTW...Good job on the pics!
Bad news is, yeah it's jacked up. Good news is, it's a relatively easy fix with some careful needle file, and polishing work. This isn't a fix for a novice, no offense intended! One wrong cut with a file, and you'll need some expensive replacement parts. @goofy here on the forum can do it for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you extract a round with your finger or do you have to pry it out ? I would scrub that chamber and check for burrs .When you switch ammos does it get any better/worse ? From the pic it looks like there is carbon build up , maybe all it needs is a good cleaning and a de-burr . Then again if it has done it since new I just waisted your time .

Also, how do things look and feel if you put a round on the bare bolt ?

·
Premium Member
9,397 Posts
TRAP55 Hit the nail on the head.
Your extractor needs to be shaped it has only a slight angle (right side) and the cartridge guide is a little rough too.(left side) The extractor slot needs to be filed and fixed .
You might need a new extractor spring clip. You can check this by sliding a shell up into the front of the bolt and see if it holds there (While the bolt is out of the gun just like in the picture).
The gun needs a good cleaning and the chamber needs to be polished.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start with inspecting and cleaning the chamber. I have seen this condition many times. If an unfired round gets stuck in the chamber, then the chamber is either dirty or damaged.
I enlarged those pics, and can see a couple of problems, both from the past, and the present. One of your extractors has been replaced, and the recess cut in the barrel is buggered up. That probably happened when the old extractor broke, and someone forcefully cycled the action a couple of times.
I can see a lot of crud in the same recesses, and most likely under the extractors.
Both extractors would benefit greatly from a cleanup, and "re-profiling".
BTW...Good job on the pics!
Bad news is, yeah it's jacked up. Good news is, it's a relatively easy fix with some careful needle file, and polishing work. This isn't a fix for a novice, no offense intended! One wrong cut with a file, and you'll need some expensive replacement parts. @goofy here on the forum can do it for you.
Thank you for the feedback! I’ll work on deep cleaning it and let everyone know how it goes.

Can you extract a round with your finger or do you have to pry it out ? I would scrub that chamber and check for burrs .When you switch ammos does it get any better/worse ? From the pic it looks like there is carbon build up , maybe all it needs is a good cleaning and a de-burr . Then again if it has done it since new I just waisted your time .

Also, how do things look and feel if you put a round on the bare bolt ?
Everytime it “jams” I have to either get a pushrod or pry it out. Never is just “loose” in the chamber. Certain ammos work better for longer. Winchester, Hornady and a couple other do not like to cycle at all. CCI and a select few others will cycle about 2 then jam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deep cleaned it, problem seems to be getting better. Could use a polish and refilling of extractor for sure. Updating everyone and showing more details

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
There's one problem I couldn't see before. Reminded me this was a factory screw up. Contact Savage, and they'll send you the replacement parts.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yes, that black thing masquerading as an extractor. I don't think they ever did a recall, but I can remember all the firearms forums filled with guys that had the same complaint. Savage knew they screwed up, and to keep their gunsmiths from being overloaded fixing them, they just mailed new parts at your discretion.

·
Premium Member
9,397 Posts
Yep that showed me what I wanted to see.
TRAP55 is right on target.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts