The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about changing the plastic stock on my .223 Savage Axis with a replacement wood stock. I had a few questions. I really like the rifle, it's very accurate with my handloads and I really like the Accutrigger it came with. So far it has functioned flawlessly and I have no complaints.....except for the cheap feeling plastic stock that came with it. I have found one I like from Boyd's (finished walnut) but I was wondering if anyone else has purchased this stock. If so how much fitting did it require. Like 3 hours work or 3 days work? Also I can't find anyone else making a replacement stock other than Boyd's. They have many choices but almost all are laminate. I have a few guns with laminate stocks but I much prefer a solid walnut stock. Does anyone else prefer a solid wood over a laminate? The walnut stock I found runs about $220.00. I don't know if I could find one any cheaper. THANKS Joe

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I've been thinking about changing the plastic stock on my .223 Savage Axis with a replacement wood stock. I had a few questions. I really like the rifle, it's very accurate with my handloads and I really like the Accutrigger it came with. So far it has functioned flawlessly and I have no complaints.....except for the cheap feeling plastic stock that came with it. I have found one I like from Boyd's (finished walnut) but I was wondering if anyone else has purchased this stock. If so how much fitting did it require. Like 3 hours work or 3 days work? Also I can't find anyone else making a replacement stock other than Boyd's. They have many choices but almost all are laminate. I have a few guns with laminate stocks but I much prefer a solid walnut stock. Does anyone else prefer a solid wood over a laminate? The walnut stock I found runs about $220.00. I don't know if I could find one any cheaper. THANKS Joe
Stockys is another option. I have purchased several Boyds stocks and they were all direct bolt-ins. About 10 minutes total. One took an additional 30 minutes to relieve the area around the Timney trigger/safety I installed. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stockys is another option. I have purchased several Boyds stocks and they were all direct bolt-ins. About 10 minutes total. One took an additional 30 minutes to relieve the area around the Timney trigger/safety I installed. No big deal.
Thanks. I will check out Stocky's. I didn't realize that the Boyd's stocks were that close to being a true drop-in stock.

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
I never heard of Stocky's so I had to take a look at them since I am looking for a replacement butt stock for my Pedersoli rolling block Very hard site to navigate! The "Search" function stinks!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I installed my Savage 93r into a Boyd stock, maybe 10 minutes tops. I bought the at-one stock with the adjustable comb and length of pull stock.. I bought the black pepper finish, really looks good with the Stainless Steel action.
Boyd is currently running a sale on some stocks, check the web site at www.Boydstocks.com.

Larry

·
Registered
234 Posts
My son bought a Boyd's stock for his model 93 R. He ended up bringing the gun and stock over to my house and asked if I'd change the stock for him. When I took the stock out of the box I looked it over carefully and couldn't find a mar or blemish anywhere on it. I took the plastic stock off the 93 and within ten minutes I was completely done installing the new Boyd's stock. Perfect fit and finish.
The Boyd's stock made a rather mundane rifle look absolutely awsome and it feels and handles as well as it looks.

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't figure out why the Boyd's stocks come with a recoil lug. Does anyone know why?
They have some really pretty laminate stocks but I tend to like the Walnut Standard grade best. But I'm not sure they all look pretty darn good and I don't think I'd be dissappointed with any one of them.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
The only Boyd's stocks that I have every bought have been for M1 Garand's and they were completely drop-in with no fitting of any kind needed. The only thing different about them was that they were kind of fat!

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
I bought a Boyds At One for a Savage MKII FVT with peep sights. I had to Inlet the sight side mount, but every thing else was perfect.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I can't figure out why the Boyd's stocks come with a recoil lug. Does anyone know why?
They have some really pretty laminate stocks but I tend to like the Walnut Standard grade best. But I'm not sure they all look pretty darn good and I don't think I'd be dissappointed with any one of them.
The recoil lug is built into the stock on the axis. They’re completely different than the 110.
Boyd’s makes the factory wood stocks that some of the axis rifles come in so there shouldn’t be any fitment issues.
The only fitting I’ve had to do to any of the ones I have on my savage rifles(not axis) is the trigger guard because I replaced them with metal ones.

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The recoil lug is built into the stock on the axis. They’re completely different than the 110.
Boyd’s makes the factory wood stocks that some of the axis rifles come in so there shouldn’t be any fitment issues.
The only fitting I’ve had to do to any of the ones I have on my savage rifles(not axis) is the trigger guard because I replaced them with metal ones.
That's good to know. I was thinking that the recoil lug was like a 110 where it's on the action behind the barrel. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they'd send a new one.

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
Joe,
Does your synthetic stock have a built-in trigger guard or can it be removed? On my Savage MKII, I had to buy a separate floorplate and trigger guard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My brother in law has a Savage Axis in .30-06 and the plastic stock split down the seam. Definitely recommend replacing the stock. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts