Savage B.Mag rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BobMcG, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well, I've serious reservations of using my new K77/17V rifle now. My dealer suggested to just put it away as an investment piece and now I've seen two of them sell for fairly astronomical prices for being early on in the collecting game (#5421 What have you bought 48hr thread). So, with that being up in the air I need to know if anyone here has first hand experience with the Savage B.Mag rifle and if they do, what their impression is and which model they have. If it's being well received I'll get one for use as my .17WSM shooter.

dbcooper likes this.
  2. BobMcG

Hard to believe but, it's looking like no one here has one to comment about. o_O
    Be that as it may, I might just have to get one and try it out for myself and hold back on using the 77 for now. Got my eye on something else first though. ;)

dbcooper likes this.

3. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Some folks here and myself have a marlin bull barrel .17 that can be had at Walmart for 206 bucks. All of us were shocked at how accurate it shot! Probably not the info you need but my $.02 on a .17 shooter

4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

My opinion is to go shoot your K77/17V. The B.Mag isn't half as nice and in my opinion feel like crap. If it goes up in value, great, if it doesn't, who cares, shoot it and enjoy either way.

I have a Colt King Cobra that has gone up in value about 4-5 times its original cost. I still shoot it.

5. BobMcG

Hum, a Marlin .17 sounds like it'd be a .17HMR (no?) and I have plenty of those fun, accurate rifles to shoot.

I do appreciate the feedback, it's closer to what I'm fishing for but, I'd really love to know if what I've heard about the B.Mag not being accurate is true or not and/or if the information I received may be referring to a certain version of it, IE: thin sporter barrel and plastic stock vs heavy barrel w/laminated stock. Hearing that they don't shoot good doesn't lean me toward buying one but, also doesn't lean me toward accepting that information as the whole truth without hearing from people with first hand experience with the rifles. Thus, my fishing expedition here.
    I don't have to worry about if the Ruger will go up in value as they already have accomplished that and using the one I have certainly won't kill it's value but now is the time for me to at least ponder the situation. There were a great many of the .22LRs; .22Mags; .17HMRs made but only a relative few of the .17WSMs.
    And, I do hear you about the Colt as I too have what I consider my favorite collectable. A minty, deluxe, engraved, TD, Winchester made in the beginning of the 20th century that probably had a price tag back then that would look like a joke these days, is a rifle I added to my collection over a decade ago. It's gorgeous and very rare but, is still a periodic shooter even though it was appraised in the five digit range back when I acquired it. That rifle however, wasn't a virgin (as far as firearms go) when I got it so it's kinda like once the gene is out of the bottle, ;) and I really do hate buying a firearm and not shooting it... it SLAYS me! :D

dbcooper likes this.
  6. BobMcG

Okay it's clear to me, I'll have get one of 'em and tell you how I like it. A couple things cooking on the stove first but, I'll get to it. Thinking about a heavy barrel & laminated stock version.

dbcooper likes this.