The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I bought a Mk II FSS the first of the year, because it had open sights. It shot 3" high at 30 yds. Sent it to Savage. After 4 months, they sent it back, with a sub 1/2" group. Said the barrel was changed. I looked at the barrel and sights. It was the same barrel and sights. Read the report. THEY MOUNTED A SCOPE ON IT AND SIGHTED IT WITH A SCOPE! And, they used sub sonic ammunition. I was totally put out. I was explicit that the rifle was shooting high with the open sights, and that I had no intention of mounting a scope on it. I bought the rifle because it had open sights on it. They did something, because the rifle is now shooting 5" high at 30 yards! I am really ticked. It has been shipped back to those knot heads. I doubt their gunsmith ever even looked at it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Don't know where you got the information that the rifle did not have open sights, as they are even listed on the Savage site, as being drilled and tapped for scope, open sights. Here is what they have.

Model: Mark II FSS
Series:
Mark II
AccuTrigger:
Yes
AccuStock:
No
Magazine:
Detachable box
Stock material:
Synthetic
Barrel material:
Stainless Steel
Stock finish:
Matte
Barrel finish:
Matte
Stock color:
Black
Barrel color:
Natural
Sights:
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts, open sights

As far as a bloop tube, are you serious? We used those on match rifles to extend the sighting plane, but I am darn sure not going to mount one on a sporting rifle. And, it is not my problem to put out money to fix Savage's problem. They can spend the money to fix it.

Here is a link to another disappointed Mk II owner.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5107611&posted=1#post5107611

The Mk II rifle comes with crappy Williams Fiber Optic open sights. And yes, I know what kind of rifle I own and sent back to Savage.

· Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, I am kind of sensitive about that, because so many people have said the same thing, that I am tired of hearing it. I have been around the coffee cup on this, and pretty much understand all the angles. Actually, a guy did the math and said the front sight needs to be .045 higher, to drop it 3" at 30 yards, but since getting it back, it is now almost twice that high. I have found several others who are having the same issue. It also really torqued me that they checked the rifle by putting a scope on it. I told them it was shooting high with open sights. Why would they mount a scope on it?

· Registered
11 Posts
Savage called me, after receiving the rifle back the second time. They said they shot the rifle and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I asked them if they shot it with iron sights, because I was not mounting a scope on it. Told the woman that when the rifle came back, that the adjustment screw on the the rear sight was totally not even touching the barrel and it was still shooting high. I told her if it came back and was still shooting high, that I was not going to be happy. They took it back to the range, and said that it was shooting sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards with the iron sights. I got the rifle back and it was still shooting high. BUT, the adjustment screw had the rear sight elevated 1/8". Also, both the rear sight and the front sight was slid to the left in the dovetail. First thing. I centered both front and rear sights, then I lowered the rear sight 1/2 round on the screw. The rifle is now shooting where it is suppose to, but the rifle is only grouping 1" at 30 yds with both CCI Mini Mags and Federal Match ammo.

I don't know what they did the second time, but they did something. What makes me mad is that they said they did nothing. There is absolutely no reason for the dishonesty, and it just agitates me further.

I guess I will have to live with this, but I am not happy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.