The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys,

I've been looking for one of these for quite a while, and now I found one, but is it over priced ? Here's the deal:

This is a used Savage model 24 Over-Under combo rifle/shotgun. It is a .223 Rem rifle over a 3" 12 gauge. Fixed choke, (not sure what the choke is, probably MOD.) Blued, with a black synthetic stock set. Condition is somewhere between 80% and 90%. It looks like it was used very little, and well taken care of. I really only want it for hunting coyotes, so I know that it's going to get abused a bit. The dealer has a sticker price on it at $ 799, but he has already offered to go to $ 750. What do you think ???

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I went back and looked at it again, and I noticed that it had a screw-in choke tube, but that my first description was basically correct. Then, I asked the salesman if he was set at that price. He inquisitively asked why. I told him that I had done a little homework, and that the bluebook was around $ 400, and that they were selling for about $ 500. Politely, I told him that I would be interested, but not at sticker price. He seemed rather offended, and proclaimed that he "would sell that gun in a heartbeat at sticker price as soon as the coyote hunting got rolling" . I said "good luck", and walked out. A few minutes later I was in another gun shop down the road, and the manager found a BAIKAL MP-94 for me. Chambered in my choice of combinations : 12 ga / .308 or 12 ga / .223 . $ 555, and he would have it in a week. After kicking it around in my mind, I'm going to give him a few hundred to order it on Tuesday. I've decided that the .308 would be more useful, because I could load it with a 110 gr V-Max for predators, or load it up with a 180 gr for larger critters. Since I don't really hunt coyotes for the pelt, I'm not concerned about the excessive damage that may be caused by the bigger rifle caliber. Any thoughts ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.