The Firearms Forum banner

Savage model 29 called too me

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Lumberjack 
#1 ·
This nice little Savage model 29 pump 22 called my name today🤣 and I just had to bring it home with me! I really liked the wood on both the stock and fore grip, I personally think they were very well done and it has the octagon barrel! I know these early Savage’s can be tricky to nail down a manufacture date but if anyone knows an approximate date I would greatly appreciate any information on it? I believe it’s a pre WWII since it’s a model 29 not a 29A or 29B and has the checkered wood, please correct me if I’m wrong. It has matching serial numbers on the receiver and on the inside of the trigger group, plus the gentleman who sold it too me pulled the butt plate off and the same serial is stamped in the wood on the stock also. I had no idea that they did this so I learned a great piece of information today. Here’s a couple pictures, I will try to get a few nicer ones tomorrow with better light. The lighting I have now just doesn’t do it justice in my opinion.
Brown Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

Wood Office supplies Hardwood Flooring Font

See less See more
#2 ·
I have it's grand daddy, the Model 25.
I think yours might be a Model 29A with the stock style and checkering. The 29 was made from 1929 to about 1938 when the 29A replaced it. There's no accurate records on the serial numbers. When Savage finished the 29, they used the same serial numbers again on the 29A. Look to see if there's an A in the serial number. If I remember right, that's how you tell. The 29A and 29B share a lot of the same parts, but none with the 29.
Don't shoot High Velocity LR in it, Standard velocity only. I don't know how long they continued the thin wall extractor cuts on the barrel breech, but that was a weakness with High Velocity LR, it expanded them.

#3 ·
I have it's grand daddy, the Model 25.
I think yours might be a Model 29A with the stock style and checkering. The 29 was made from 1929 to about 1938 when the 29A replaced it. There's no accurate records on the serial numbers. When Savage finished the 29, they used the same serial numbers again on the 29A. Look to see if there's an A in the serial number. If I remember right, that's how you tell. The 29A and 29B share a lot of the same parts, but none with the 29.
Don't shoot High Velocity LR in it, Standard velocity only. I don't know how long they continued the thin wall extractor cuts on the barrel breech, but that was a weakness with High Velocity LR, it expanded them.
Great information as always Trap! There is no A anywhere on it and the serial number is 118453 and there is an L stamped underneath on the receiver. The serial number on the trigger group the L is stamped after the serial number. I don’t remember seeing the L on the stock serial number however. Thank you very much about the ammo, I had no idea about the high velocity ammo I just figured it was new enough that it would handle any of it. Unfortunately I shot up all my standard velocity rounds not long ago but I have a bunch of federal target rounds that are 1200 fps do you think they would be okay to run thru it?

#4 ·
I got 3 rounds of Aguila Super Extra (1255fps) through my Model 25, and no extraction. The case swells into the pushed out extraction cuts. I gently tapped them back in, and stick to HiSpeed Shorts. Makes less noise than my pellet gun. I don't know if they made any improvement on the 29, A, or B. Standard velocity runs about 1130fps.

#5 ·
It's a Model 29, the large screw head showing above the trigger guard on the right side is the major detail to identify it. My guess with that serial number it would be after 1933. Cody has records for these for serial numbers 1000-113380 and from other sources this is supposed to be up to 1933. Ignore the first 1 in the number, the numbers were jumped by 100,000 when a design change was made, so the production is not what the numbers would suggest. These started at 1000. All should originally had octagon barrels.

The L was added after the number when three different serial number sequences were combined using the highest number of the three as a starting point - L for Savage 29's, M for Stevens 75's and K for house brands, so again, the serial numbers do not reflect the production numbers even if you subtract the 100,000.

Yours has the early style checkering with three-point on the wrist and the bottom of the forearm checkered. The checkering on the bottom of the forearm was dropped before they went to two-point on the wrist.

Some of my checkered 29's & 29-A's -
Wood Office supplies Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Metal

Checkering was standard until at least 1949, these were not cataloged for a couple years starting in 1947 when Savage was moving production from Utica to Chicopee Falls. The Chicopee Falls guns are not serial numbered.

#11 · (Edited)
I would not use Hi-Speed in any Savage pump, the early ones were not designed strong enough for it. Some might work OK but you cannot count on the metal of all being the same strength.

The Model 29's seem to be the worst, I've seen a number of these with distorted locking surfaces in the receiver and a few with the locking lugs snapped off the bolt. The Model 29 was a poor design when it came to the way they lockup.

The 29-A & 29-B internally are completely different than the Model 29 and were designed for Hi-Speed, but you will find an occasional one with distorted locking surfaces, this is possibly due to differences in the metal since the receivers appear to be made by casting, or there might be differences in the heat treating leaving some softer, if they did heat treat them. It might also be from using newer hyper velocity loads, many guns might handle it, but that doesn't mean they all will. One gun I have with damage I got quite a few years ago before these hot loads started coming out.

Here's what Savage Arms thought about it, if you returned a gun for repair around 1931 or later after Hi-Speed became available, you might get it back with this stamped on its side or barrel -
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Font Bumper

The Stevens Model 75 had the upper receiver replaced; the locking surface was probably damaged.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Auto part Font

Font Tints and shades Auto part Eye glass accessory Metal

I am still looking for a Model 1909 with that stamp to complete my collection of repaired Savage pumps with that stamp. The very late Savage Model 1904 single shots and the last Stevens Visible Loaders made 1931 & later were shipped stamped with "REGULAR CARTRIDGES". When Hi-Speed first came out they did not yet use the term 'STANDARD VELOCITY'

I have another Model 1903 with that stamp that had the barrel replaced with a round one and refinished - not original, but all factory work. This is an early gun that would have had a high luster blue, but it has the duller finish that was used post WWI. The round barrel has a generic Savage Arms barrel stamp that I've seen on later guns and on a couple that have what looks like replacement barrels.
Air gun Line Material property Trigger Gun accessory

#12 ·
Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with us Sav22 much appreciated! I have ordered a couple books about vintage 22’s that cover several manufacturers but could you possibly recommend any books that cover just the savage 22’s? I would like to add more of the savage models with octagon barrels to my collection but it sounds like there’s a lot to learn about the internals on these. Thanks again

#13 ·
I cannot recommend any books, I got interested in the Savage & Stevens 22, mainly the pump actions, when I found there wasn't any good information on them. I've tried to accumulate books and magazine with articles on them and found few with good information, and many with totally wrong information. Over the years I put together an extensive collection of Savage & Stevens catalogs and they have become one of my main sources of information, the other is a very large collection of the guns, I've tried to get examples of every variation I can find. I try to look at as many guns as I can and record information on them, I constantly check auctions and other sites looking for them. I also found a person who was keeping serial number date on the early Savage pumps and another who had kept track of Model 29 serial numbers starting way before I started collecting them, they both have been a great help with 100's of serial numbers logged.

I also was lucky enough to get some information from the Savage Historian a few years ago on the Model 29's, that's how I found out about the serial numbers jumping by 100,000, the combination of three serial number sequences into one and some other very useful information, none of which I'd ever seen in print.

There is a recent book out on Slide Action Rifles that has a large section on Savage & Stevens, but it has some serious errors. I am in contact with the author, and it seems like he is looking at the information I've shared with him and is in agreement with most, or all, and will be editing the book. It looks like he referenced some of the old, flawed information that's been out there for a long time.

I try to only post accurate information, but question it if something looks wrong, I cannot guarantee the sources I use are without error or that all my interpretations of good information is correct.

#14 ·
I cannot recommend any books, I got interested in the Savage & Stevens 22, mainly the pump actions, when I found there wasn't any good information on them. I've tried to accumulate books and magazine with articles on them and found few with good information, and many with totally wrong information. Over the years I put together an extensive collection of Savage & Stevens catalogs and they have become one of my main sources of information, the other is a very large collection of the guns, I've tried to get examples of every variation I can find. I try to look at as many guns as I can and record information on them, I constantly check auctions and other sites looking for them. I also found a person who was keeping serial number date on the early Savage pumps and another who had kept track of Model 29 serial numbers starting way before I started collecting them, they both have been a great help with 100's of serial numbers logged.

I also was lucky enough to get some information from the Savage Historian a few years ago on the Model 29's, that's how I found out about the serial numbers jumping by 100,000, the combination of three serial number sequences into one and some other very useful information, none of which I'd ever seen in print.

There is a recent book out on Slide Action Rifles that has a large section on Savage & Stevens, but it has some serious errors. I am in contact with the author, and it seems like he is looking at the information I've shared with him and is in agreement with most, or all, and will be editing the book. It looks like he referenced some of the old, flawed information that's been out there for a long time.

I try to only post accurate information, but question it if something looks wrong, I cannot guarantee the sources I use are without error or that all my interpretations of good information is correct.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and sharing your knowledge with me! I have recently found a love for the pump action 22’s and started collecting them, hopefully someday I will be half as knowledgeable as you. I have been trying to read everything I can on them but even an amateur such as myself have noticed that there really isn’t a whole lot on the Savage and Stevens 22 rifles compared to say the Winchester’s and Remington’s. Good to know about the miss information out there as most of what I have read online seems to repeat itself. You have quite an impressive collection just from the ones I have seen and it’s great to see the work you have done in preserving this amazing history! I’m on the lookout for a 1903, 1914 and model 25 for now as I want to stick to the octagon barreled 22’s to go with my meager collection. If I’m ever able to find any of these and add them to my collection I will post them here so you can add more to your list as I haven’t got to the point of buying online yet, all mine have been bought in person with the exception of the ones I received from my late grandfather. Hopefully I can learn enough to contribute someday but I know I have a long way to go. If I can ever assist in any way please reach out as I would like to give back for all I have been taught here on this forum by all the amazingly knowledgeable people that are so willing to help a newbie such as myself!

#15 ·
Update, finally got around to getting some better pictures of the wood on my new to me Savage model 29. I just love the grain pattern and checkering on this little rifle and the shiny blue finish on the barrel. In my opinion a beautiful example of pre WWII American craftsmanship when they were made with pride!

Brown Musical instrument Wood Floor Wood stain

Wood Musical instrument Flooring Floor Hardwood

Wood Cable Hardwood Wire Auto part

Also was able to get out and put about 25 rounds of CCI standard velocity ammo thru it, worked flawlessly even though it shot a little high at 25 yards. There was no wind but a crisp day at only 20 degrees, I think it will shoot better as I wasn’t shooting at my best. I’m going to blame it on the cold🤣 still overall I’m very happy with this addition!
Font Circle Watch Recreation Pattern

#16 ·
My Dad left a Savage Model 29B to my son when he passed. It had belonged to my Grandpa many years ago.
The story goes that the guy that owned the farm next to my Grandpa had shot a .410 at him, so he shot the guy 7 times with this Savage. He then went into town and reported it to the Sheriff, and was told not to worry about it. According to the story the Sheriff took care of it.
This gun has no Serial number at all, never did.

#20 ·
I was in my LGS a couple days ago and she had a .22 Savage pump, (i think) 1903 in there. I'm pretty sure it was the one that has a detachable magazine. That's what caught my eye. Looked like she was asking $450.00 for it. didn't get a good look at the hang tag. It appeared to be in decent shape. I'm not sure what they usually go for. She also had a Rem. model 12A for $600.00. I kinda know what they go for and it seemed high to me.

#21 ·
I picked up a Savage 1903 a while back for $400 out the door as it’s not perfect with a little wear here and there and a few blemishes but mechanically sound. I feel these neat little pumps are under rated as they were well ahead of their time as the first enclosed hammerless design, first with a detachable magazine (I could be wrong here?) that held shorts, longs and long rifle which for the time period was a feat in itself and first with an upper tang safety. Which I could be wrong but I believe these were all new developments for a 22 rifle and just an overall very neat design all the way around!
Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Musical instrument Hardware programmer Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.