The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very familiar with this rifle but I tried helping my wife's cousin , zero at 50 yards and it was not accurate at all. The caliber is a .243 and the first 3 shots at 50 meters, grouped 6" using Winchester 100 grain bullets. I thought it was him not been an avid shooter like some of us are but when I shot it the best I could get was about a 3" group. I checked rifle for the usual stuff, scope, bore, barrel and so on and was recently cleaned by a gunsmith per my recommendation.

We than tried different ammo Sig Arms 85 grain bullets and it kept groups to about 3" which still sucks as it is only a 3 shot group. I than shot it after letting it cool off and was able to get about a 1.46 group. After researching the history of this rifle I find out that accuracy on this rifle is not so great but on occasion, depending on caliber some rifles do shoot moa groups.

My question is this, do any of you know if it is possible to make this a little more accurate. Handloading is out of the question as he does not know how and is not interested in learning. If I understood properly, according to what I read the action is stronger than the Winchester and Marlin actions, but what makes this rifle inherently inaccurate is the rear locking bolt. Since this is a lever action and the stock is 2 pieces I was wondering if sanding the forearm to provide more room between the barrel make a difference, as the forearm is attached to the barrel . Appreciate your advice.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Yes, they are stronger than the Marin & Winchester lever rifles. Not by a great deal but still, they are stronger. I only worked with one Model 99. A carbine in 303 Savage and the load was a cast bullet and about 1800-1900 fps. It was a shooter. I never had to do anything to it. If they have one, did you check the butt stock thru-bolt? I don't remember.

Reactions: joe45c

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I did not, and it does have the butt stock thru-bolt. You think I should tighten it. The stock felt tight, but it is a good starting point. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
You checked everything else, I don't see how it could possibly hurt. I think I'd try some more 100 grain ammo brands, if you can find any. Two with differing bullet weights isn't much of a test. After that all I would know to try is working on the fore arm as you mentioned.

I only ever had that one '99 but I thought usually they were more accurate than what you described. Rifles with 2 piece stocks can sometimes be a real bugger to get to shoot.

Reactions: ms6852

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done everything I can think of and I have already suggested he try different brands and manufacturers. Unfortunately the climate we are in it will be difficult to find ammo or components to hand load ammo. I'm willing to hand load for him with him being present but we will see. I will try to convince him to learn to hand load. His parents both have passed and his father was a big wig in Austin and in the political arena. He has a room 14X16 ft with all four walls double stacked with rifles, beautiful rifles and this guy has very little knowledge of firearms and won't sell them. This gun library puts the one to Cabelas to shame . I've warned him about rust till I am blue in the face and still he has not even bothered to buy a humidifier for that room. The things I do for my wife's family is beyond the call of duty.

Next time I see him I plan to remove the forearm stock and shoot the rifle without it. I will see if this does anything different, if it does I may sand some wood out of the channel. Anyway thanks for your input and advice.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
"Next time I see him I plan to remove the forearm stock and shoot the rifle without it. I will see if this does anything different, if it does I may sand some wood out of the channel. Anyway thanks for your input and advice."
This is what I logged on to tell you to try. 99's and other guns like a Browning BAR with a forearm like that, can really mess with accuracy.

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Trap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts