The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have a Savage N.R.A match rifle .22Lr. It appears that someone added a peep sight on the stock behind the bolt, just far enough not to interfere with the bolts rear limit, It is a very accurate rifle, but has a problem with the bolt, when you cycle the bolt it will fire pre maturely. In order for me to shoot it I have to put on the safety then cycle the action,point it in a safe direction, take the safety off and then pull the trigger witch is very touchy! Is this something I can correct or do I have to replace a spring or get a different bolt ? I would appreciate any feed back on what to do.

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
I wouldn’t think the bolt is the issue but rather an adjustment to the trigger. Is there a small screw anywhere around the trigger? Also maybe a worn sear. Just a couple guesses but taking it to a good gunsmith might be your best option.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I believe you have the savage 19 or 1933 model.
You have a problem with the trigger which is also the sear not holding the firing pin block. And when you are putting the safety on it is pushing the trigger back up to hold and locking it so it is not pushed down from the pressure and releasing the firing pin block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn’t think the bolt is the issue but rather an adjustment to the trigger. Is there a small screw anywhere around the trigger? Also maybe a worn sear. Just a couple guesses but taking it to a good gunsmith might be your best option.
No,but I might have to pull the trigger assembly and look at it! thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe you have the savage 19 or 1933 model.
You have a problem with the trigger which is also the sear not holding the firing pin block. And when you are putting the safety on it is pushing the trigger back up to hold and locking it so it is not pushed down from the pressure and releasing the firing pin block.
Well,on the 5 shot magazine it says,23A sporter or N.R.A match rifle,so how can I adjust the trigger sear? Thank you for the reply,I've gotten 2 replies that state it might be the trigger sear,so that might account for the hair trigger when I take the safety off!

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Well,on the 5 shot magazine it says,23A sporter or N.R.A match rifle,so how can I adjust the trigger sear? Thank you for the reply,I've gotten 2 replies that state it might be the trigger sear,so that might account for the hair trigger when I take the safety off!
It is common to have a different marking mag for those it is for both guns and finding a 19 mag is next to impossible. And with out pictures it would be hard to tell which one you have The 23 came after the 19 and has little differences..
Which ever you have if you do not know how to do the work do not try it on your own or you could make it worse. The screw that was mentioned is on the front of the trigger and it is for adjusting the travel. It does sound like it is adjusted to far but again I think a gunsmith should do the work.
PS- the trigger is the sear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,Thanks for the input! I guess I will take it to a gunsmith,I really appreciate every ones input,I'm impressed with the quick responses and the professional attitudes,Thanks again! God Bless America!and remember the M.I.A and Pow's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts