The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Designed exclusively for the .17 Winchester Super Magnum Rimfire

Well, it sure is sharp.

Thoughts? Think this new round will catch on? I'd like something cheap and easy to find and shoot.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I really like this round. Very stealthy. Nice rifle.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Im not a huge fan of the 17 bore. Too damn small and fouls too damn easy. Then when its time to clean you gotta have special rods, patches and jags. F that.. Gimme a .22.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Is there a chance the new caliber introduced will help out this ammo crisis?
Its beginning to ease up. Only time will reverse the crisis. Eventually folks will get tired of paying these double and triple prices for ammo and things will return to somewhat of a normal state.

I just looked over at my reloading shelf and realized I got over 3500 .45 projectiles. Man I need to do some reloading. ;)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not a huge fan of the 17 bore. Too damn small and fouls too damn easy. Then when its time to clean you gotta have special rods, patches and jags. F that.. Gimme a .22.
I understand that too. Seems like you have to be very gentle with them, to not scrap the inside. Not much surface area in that bore, but a lot of powder burning inside them.

·
Registered
8,841 Posts
I am still debating buying a .17 Rimfire...I've seen my buddy with his Savage with a pre-accutriger trigger tha rivals my Yugo SKS gate latch trigger make some sweet P-dog kills at 125+ when he could call the wind...and even I made some 100 yd shots with it...which allowed me to abuse the trigger on it...:p

The .17 when it hits a P-dog is almost as impressive as a .22 K-Hornet....at 200...

You can't do that with a .22lr, and while I haven't shot a .22WMR from those that have claim it is just a 100 yd rifle...

I almost bought the EXACT same .17 HMR rifle as he had but with an accu-trigger just to rub it in....;)

But without all the other stuff, having to buy a .17 rod and jags, etc, I am absolutely impressed with how much more accurate the .17 is compared to any .22 rimfire....

The ONLY thing that bothers me is the wind.....the .17 is NOT good in the wind, PERIOD.

BUT, the new .17 SUPER Magnum.......I havre thought about it....

I know the jury is still out about whether the FASTER the round the LESS time the wind has to work on it....

But maybe if I bought a Savage in SUPER that ALSO has the accutrigger.....HMMmmmmmmm.....;):D:D:p

But as an aside, I was in a shop today that a month ago had NO .22lr and NO .223...

Today they had a ton of Remington Thunderbolt cheap stuff, as well as CCI Mini-mags and other stuff like Fiocchi, with a sign "limit 10 boxes."

It looks like it is loosening up a little...

But take note of what we have learned.....:cool:

We always said you BETTER have a .22lr, a 9mm, a .45, a .223 and a .308 and a 12 ga BECAUSE they would be the most common rounds available.....

During the recent "Emergency" we couldn't get ANY of the above except 12 ga.

But no matter how "empty" the shelves were in ANY big box or tiny gunshop ...

You could STILL find .17 HMR, .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, 6mm Remington, etc....as well as just about ANY other "wierd" round, for decent prices....

I EVEN found 4 or 5 boxes of 6.5 Jap for my boss at a decent price for my BOSS when you couldn't TOUCH .223....

Maybe we need to rethink our "collections" for the "Socio-Economic Collapse..."

It may be EASIER to find ammo for the "wierd" Calibers than it will for the "Standard" ones.......

·
Registered
711 Posts
I will stick with my old Hornet too. A Nosler 45 grain bullet going 2,760 FPS will out last a .17 anyway you look at it. And besides, I find joy in reloading them. Oh, and 12 grains of H110 go under that bullet.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Its beginning to ease up. Only time will reverse the crisis. Eventually folks will get tired of paying these double and triple prices for ammo and things will return to somewhat of a normal state.

I just looked over at my reloading shelf and realized I got over 3500 .45 projectiles. Man I need to do some reloading. ;)
I could use some .45 ammo .... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts