The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a Savage Stevens model 89 single shot lever action rifle that was given to him.
I’m looking for the best way to get a brush in the chamber to give it a good cleaning since it doesn’t always eject a spent casing.
12EFD354-9A30-47EA-AE24-8A7856EA864A.jpeg

The breech bolt is in the way to get much of any cleaning tools in there. How do you clean one of these?
Do I need to remove the breech bolt? How tough is this to do?

What kind of chaos will I create by removing the pin that the bolt seems to pivot on?
C269D95D-9FB0-451B-8E9F-122F1780DE1D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
This is a Ithaca 49 knock off. Heavier and not made as well.
I have stripped many 49s but not a 89 so all I can say is if they are the same you can not pull the block without taking out all the other parts. You need to start with the bottom and work your way up.
Lever, trigger, hammer, then the block. Pins come out knurled side first (Hit from right to left). Springs will fly so be careful and take pictures as you go so you know how the springs go back right.
On a ithaca there is a block pin inside of the bolt that can only come out when all the bottom is disassembled and keeps pressure on the bolt pin so it can not be removed.

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a Ithaca 49 knock off. Heavier and not made as well.
I have stripped many 49s but not a 89 so all I can say is if they are the same you can not pull the block without taking out all the other parts. You need to start with the bottom and work your way up.
Lever, trigger, hammer, then the block. Pins come out knurled side first (Hit from right to left). Springs will fly so be careful and take pictures as you go so you know how the springs go back right.
On a ithaca there is a block pin inside of the bolt that can only come out when all the bottom is disassembled and keeps pressure on the bolt pin so it can not be removed.
That is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the info Mike.
I may have to break down and get a bore snake. :)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Everything Mike said. Close to, but not the same as the Ithaca 49. Comes apart pretty much the same way though.

·
Premium Member
17,872 Posts
Maybe get a bore brush that is a little larger diameter than .22 say .25 cal. Then bend it in the middle (L shaped) that way you can put it in the chamber and use the bent end to move it side to side. I dip the brush in some hoppes before i start. Use it on my 10/22 and Marlin 990. .22s.

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a bore snake today. If that doesn’t do the trick I’ll try your idea Joe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts