Savage

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Hskipster, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Hskipster

Hskipster New Member

My friend asked me if I would like a double barreled shotgun. I did. He gifted me an almost pristine Wards model 52A, (cross referenced to a Savage model 315). Both barrels were dangerously bent beyond repair. I would love to find a replacement barrel but have had no luck what-so-ever. Can anyone point me in a good direction? I've tried Numrich to no avail.

2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If it were me I'd make it a wall hanger. Possibly use it as a wedding photo prop. Just block the chambers so it can't be fired.

Have you tried Jack First in Rapid City SD? Old Jack has passed but his family is keeping the doors open and business is still rolling along full steam

BlackEagle likes this.

3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And welcome to our little corner here at TFF

dbcooper and BlackEagle like this.
  4. Hskipster

Hskipster New Member

Thank you for your reply. I would rather exhaust efforts to revive this old piece before "retiring" her. I will try Jack. Again, thanks.

5. orion340

orion340 Well-Known Member

You might try some of the shotgun forums here or shotgun world.com,shotgun forums.com,etc. and welcome from Pennsylvania!

tedwitt likes this.
  6. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with 68c15
    You could easily spend way more than the gun it worth trying to make it safe
    To me it would be nothing more than a cool thing to make a lamp out of.

7. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The 315 is similar to a 311. I am buying a parts 311 next week. Please take some good clear pictures of the breech end of your barrels. I will see how close then match mine. If they look good I send you a PM with dimensions and details.

agedhunter likes this.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

When you say "bent," do you mean they are dented? Most dents can be removed by a competent gunsmith. And, replacement barrels shouldn't be too hard to find.

9. Hskipster

Hskipster New Member

Approximately 10 degrees upward.

10. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

As Bill stated, most competent gunsmiths can straighten out a barrel, either dented or bent. There is a tool specifically designed for this purpose. You may want to contact some larger gunsmith outfits in your area and ask if they have a "Barrel Straightener". I've watched a gunsmith do it, and it's amazing how it works.
    Old Gun Guy

11. Hskipster

Hskipster New Member

Thank you.