The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Nobody mentioned what it costs to replace/recycle the battery?
So you can go 300 miles on a charge, but the place you want to go is 400 miles away, so what do you do? Call a Taxi AND tow truck to haul your $50 to $75K electric rig to the nearest charging station?:oops::oops: And go thru all that crap just to Save the Planet. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
When eclectic cars runs out of battery, just open the frunk of the Tesla and pull out the compact gas powered generator. Don’t laugh, I seen a dozen or so images of electric car being charged with small gas powdered generator.

·
Super Moderator
25,728 Posts
Not to mention how the electricity is made.

Tell a loonie that his electric car gets its power from burning coal in the power plant and it will blow his mind.

Stand well back when you tell him so as to avoid getting the gore splattered all over you.
THIS RIGHT HERE!
Clean energy cars. Sell that to the sheeple.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
This entire electricity gambit is a NIMBY play.

Windmills are made in China. They dig up the rare earth metals necessary for making windmill components from earth-destroying mines by labor from questionable sources--could be slave labor or child labor. Those are transported clear around the world on fossil-fuel burning ships to be erected on greenfield sites that they dig up and set up with concrete foundations put in place with fossil fuel burning equipment. They work for 25 years, knocking birds and bats out of the sky then have to be disposed of in landfill because those things cannot be recycled.

Then there is the quantity. I saw an article that said that for the whole of the UK to go windmill power it would take the entire world supply of some materials. That's just one relatively small country.

Now go to electricity storage. Batteries. Same story. Materials, quantity, transportation, limited lifespan, disposal.

Solar panels? Same story.

Electric cars? Limited range, long time to recharge. What is the energy cost per mile? How much does it cost to recharge, then how many miles on that charge? My home utility bills tell me that electricity costs 5 times more per KWH than gas does.

But the green people say electricity is the be-all and end-all to save the planet. They just refuse to look beyond the surface.
Agreed, they like to leave out the disposal portion of the "Green" energies. we have natural gas for heat average $25 in summer $75 in winter and i live in northern Minnesota. our electric is $150 a month and thats if we dont use fans or A/C, if we uses fans and A/C it jumps to over $200 a month.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are significant deposits of such metals in Russia, South Africa, and Canada. Sourcing these metals from those places would substantially reduce demand (and any geo-political importance) directed at China & DRC.
Even so, before wind & solar become at all viable, a technological revolution on the order of the cyber-revolution of the last 4 decades, or (at minimum) the replacement of prop-driven aircraft with jets must take place. I'm not Nostradamus, but I sure don't feel like betting my rent check on it happening. Not in MY lifetime, anyway.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Bob Lutz(done everything in auto industry)built 500 pickups done the RIGHT way(as far as electric vehicles go)...very simple-independent battery pack with a 8kw 3cyl deisel under hood---the motor does'nt do anything but charge battery pack,making a very simple driveline,and uses 1/2gal an hour when charging....bed of truck has 120 and 240 outlets to run tools.Brillant simplicity as opposed to any other electric vehicle....
Batteries are the big problem-capacity versus size/weight......The best batteries are still the very old Edison-I know a fellow off-gridder that has 50 of them for his electric system-they were made in 1910.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,880 Posts
the replacement of prop-driven aircraft with jets must take place.
They are experimenting with hydrogen powered aircraft...

They already have hydrogen powered buses in some cities.

Just waiting for a repeat of the Hindenburg.

There are a limited number of places selling LPG for vehicles. Fuel is about half to a third of gasoline, but checking into it those modified engines get lousy fuel mileage. Cost per Mile is probably the same, if not more as for gasoline. Add to that the cost of conversion to LPG, and you lose about half the trunk space for the LPG tank.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
They are experimenting with hydrogen powered aircraft...

They already have hydrogen powered buses in some cities.

Just waiting for a repeat of the Hindenburg.

There are a limited number of places selling LPG for vehicles. Fuel is about half to a third of gasoline, but checking into it those modified engines get lousy fuel mileage. Cost per Mile is probably the same, if not more as for gasoline. Add to that the cost of conversion to LPG, and you lose about half the trunk space for the LPG tank.
Most commercially produced hydrogen comes from cracking hydrocarbons through a steam reforming process, the by-product of which is CO2. Why not just burn the fossil fuels then?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm about to tell you more than I actually know, here, but my attempt with the "props vs. jets" analogy was to demonstrate a sacrifice in economy for greater speed (which, one hopes, helps offset the sacrifice in economy).

Are you aiming for more or less fuel efficiency?
In this case, the point that I was trying to make is that sometimes, one must sacrifice economy for speed. And sometimes, the CBA works in the reverse fashion.

And let's remember that EVERY analogy is subject to being "picked apart" by over-analysis. Not actually being a pilot, I used this analogy advisedly (sue me, I asked an ACTUAL pilot for a good analogy).

Forgive the multiple responses. Post "3rd Monday-in-a-row" fatigue gives way to limited cyber competence.

·
No Power Options
13,007 Posts
Love the 75MPG carb myth and it always comes up sometime during any gas knowledge. :banana:

Honda introduced a zero emission car for California and blew 0 emissions. California then enhanced their testing equipment to fail it. Honda quickly removed said cars and began selling them in other countries.

Sacrifice and reward.
My 1988 Honda CRX-HF gets 55mpg with cold AC running. That`s old school and fuel injected.

·
9,045 Posts
Love the 75MPG carb myth and it always comes up sometime during any gas knowledge. :banana:

Honda introduced a zero emission car for California and blew 0 emissions. California then enhanced their testing equipment to fail it. Honda quickly removed said cars and began selling them in other countries.

Sacrifice and reward.
My 1988 Honda CRX-HF gets 55mpg with cold AC running. That`s old school and fuel injected.
Not a myth, I was there.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,880 Posts
In this case, the point that I was trying to make is that sometimes, one must sacrifice economy for speed.
My car has an optimum speed for fuel mileage--about 45 mph. Above or below that and the mileage drops. So mileage is not as good at interstate speeds as it is on some of the back roads.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
44 Posts
To me, electric cars have a place. A small place, but a place.
This is a technology that needs to mature and be depoliticisied, ie not part of anybody's agenda or touted as a magic catch all solution.

I suspect that when battery technology matures and the entire skin of the body is used as a solar panel, then along with the regen from braking, they may have a clear and unequivocal advantage.

Till then....i'll stick with petrol/diesel

21 - 40 of 68 Posts