The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
And that volcano in Japan that continuously pours out smoke is calculated to emit more greenhouse gases than all our cars combined. That’s not the only volcano either. Al Gores jet will spew out more in one flight than my car will in one year. There is not enough room where the sun doesn’t shine to hold all the BS.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Going green is nothing but a huge money grab.
There are a lot of places where if you go solar you still have to, by law, be hooked up to the main grid and are forced to pay the minimum electric bill.
Why is there a hidden 25% tax charge on solar panels when you are spending money to help save the planet ? LOL
If you have solar many utility companys no longer have to pay you for the power you put back into the grid.
Much of it is nothing but a big scam.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,891 Posts
And that volcano in Japan that continuously pours out smoke is calculated to emit more greenhouse gases than all our cars combined.
Then add in California's forest fires, and I hear there are forest fires in other parts of the world.

Reactions: Arteest

·
Registered
462 Posts
Correct BE. How many tons of particulates and tons of greenhouse gases are generated by the forest/wildfires? Open burning is banned I thought. Have to remind Newsome.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
To me, electric cars have a place. A small place, but a place.
This is a technology that needs to mature and be depoliticisied, ie not part of anybody's agenda or touted as a magic catch all solution.

I suspect that when battery technology matures and the entire skin of the body is used as a solar panel, then along with the regen from braking, they may have a clear and unequivocal advantage.

Till then....i'll stick with petrol/diesel
Loose the batteries and solar panels, a diesel electric locomotive only needs a battery to start it's engine and fuel consumption per ton of freight per mile is far lower than any other method of land transportation. Now a diesel electric car probably won't be cost or fuel effective if you scaled the power plant down, but a diesel electric freight truck might be.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some years back a portable multi fuel gas turbine generator was being marketed in CA as zero emissions on CNG and propane. Scale it up a little put it in a car with motors at each wheel, regen braking and a reserve battery pack and you’d have a nice commuter car.

Reactions: 4895

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Some years back a portable multi fuel gas turbine generator was being marketed in CA as zero emissions on CNG and propane. Scale it up a little put it in a car with motors at each wheel, regen braking and a reserve battery pack and you’d have a nice commuter car.
If it burns fuel, it has emissions.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
The biggest secret--about 60% of the world runs on diesel fuel.....ships,trains,power plants,cars/trucks,generators-basically any construction equipment

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
The biggest secret--about 60% of the world runs on diesel fuel.....ships,trains,power plants,cars/trucks,generators-basically any construction equipment
I hate diesel it gives me the worst headaches and diesel smoke often triggers my asthma, it sucks getting stuck in traffic behind a diesel even the newer "non smelly" diesel vehicles

·
Registered
462 Posts
I hate diesel it gives me the worst headaches and diesel smoke often triggers my asthma, it sucks getting stuck in traffic behind a diesel even the newer "non smelly" diesel vehicles
I used to work in an engine lab testing engines and the diesel stink would really get to ya after a while. The fun one was a Cummins 903 that pull 450 hp or 550 if it got over fueled. The black smoke was so thick it couldn’t get out of the 8” exh pipe fast enough.
The newer computer controlled engines were much better. The torque those monsters can generate is scary.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I see that the City of Des Moines, Iowa, has purchased some new all-electric busses. They held a big-deal public unveiling to show off the new busses.

No engine. They didn't really get into the charging of the batteries, but presumably they would charge each bus as it ran low on juice. Naturally, the recharging would be done by using the mains power provided by Alliant Energy. Just exactly where Alliant gets its power was not mentioned. So I looked it up:

https://www.alliantenergy.com/OurEnergyVision/GenerationProjects/MarshalltownGeneratingStation

FYI:

The Marshalltown Generating Station, located in Marshalltown, Iowa, went into operation on April 1, 2017. The highly efficient, cost-competitive natural gas facility is providing clean energy for 500,000 homes and businesses.

The 706-megawatt capacity generating station is anticipated to be the most efficient natural gas-fueled facility ever built in Iowa and one of the top five most efficient natural gas-fueled facilities in the U.S. It emits less than half the carbon dioxide, two-thirds less nitrogen oxides and roughly 99% less sulfur and mercury than traditional coal-fired generation.

The $645 million investment to build the Marshalltown Generating Station represents the largest project in the history of Marshall County. During construction, there were typically 800 workers on site, and nearly $50 million dollars came into the community benefiting many local suppliers and vendors.

The facility replaced 14 less efficient, smaller older generating units and it was constructed with sustainability at the forefront. The new natural gas power generator needs 90% less water supply than the units it replaced. Marshalltown Generating Station was the first infrastructure project in Iowa to receive the Envision® Platinum Award – the highest attainable Envision recognition level.

The generating station also supports our growing investments in renewable energy. It has the ability to adjust its output up and down quickly. This provides flexibility to better integrate wind and solar power into the electric supply mix.

·
9,062 Posts
Often wondered just why should I buy a new car for $30K+, spend more $$$ on higher insurance and license fees, get 29 to 30 MPG when my 98 model still runs like a dream, is paid for and still gets 35 MPG?:confused:;) And it's just getting broke in at 160K + miles. Still doesn't use oil and still looks like new. :D
I drive a 1980 Dodge Pickup, it's definitely paid for, gets 18 to 20 mpg.
2020-02-29_17-42-07_278.jpg

·
TFF Chaplain
18,891 Posts

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I used to have a '72 F150 4wd, it had the FE block 360, got 12 mpg loaded or empty or pulling the toy trailer with atvs on it to the coast to play in the sand. I bought it because I needed a pick up to move stuff when we bought our house, paid 1k for it, used it for several years and sold it for 1k. For a big block the thing was rather gutless, had to shift down to third to go up hill with that trailer. Bought a 93 Ranger with the v6 engine, paid 300 for it, drove it for 10 years, got 23 mpg but it didn't have a lot of get up and go either. After my father passed away my mom decided I should have his work truck, a 2006 Ranger with a 4 banger in it, it gets 30+ mpg, the heater works better than the 72 or the 93, I don't know how it would pull a trailer but the thing is a lot spunkier than either the 72 or the 93.
Edit- the whole point of this is to show that as fossil fuel technology has improved over the years ,miliage, is up, power is up and emissions are down. Do we really need the whole "green electric car' boondogle? seems like it's just another way for the people in power to subsidize their friends at taxpayer expense while the subsidies somehow get into the hands of lobbiests that grease the palms of the people in power.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts