The Firearms Forum banner

Sawed Off Shotgun

32K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  Buckshot 
#1 ·
If a person is in his house with a sawed off shot gun with a barrel length of 12 inches with an overall length of 20 inches, is this legal? This weapon will never leave the house.

Am I paranoid? YES! I watch the news and the gang bangers on the corner...

#2 ·
Is it legal? No, even if it never leaves the house.

And if the weapon is ever used to protect your family its still illegal and you'll be thrown in prison for using it and possessing it so basically its useless and a liability.

#4 · (Edited)
bizy: It is a felony for one to have in their possession a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18". Under the federal sentencing guide line rules that came into affect on November 1, 1987, it carries a 5 year prison sentence if convicted, of which now one has to do about 85% of their time because there is no more parole with the feds.

Ron

#5 ·
Might be best to get rid of it. NOT selling or giving, but taking it apart and carefully including bits of it with some 'untraceable' trash 'till it's GONE and suggesting to the person in the house to forget that he/she had ever seen it. (I'd start with that barrel.) Things of this nature can conjure up some very unforgiving attitudes and consequences.

#6 ·
There are hoops you can jump thru...

I think you have to buy a special tax stamp and go thru some kind of atf bacground check of sorts to get a special liscense for such a weapon. Not worth it in my opinion....
If the legal length of 18" is too long then a 45acp would be in order.

I cant imagine 18" being to long though? Oh, there i go sounding like my exwife again....

Thats my only punchline for this thread. lol

Gn

#8 ·
There are hoops you can jump thru...

I think you have to buy a special tax stamp and go thru some kind of atf bacground check of sorts to get a special liscense for such a weapon. Not worth it in my opinion....
If the legal length of 18" is too long then a 45acp would be in order.

I cant imagine 18" being to long though? Oh, there i go sounding like my exwife again....

Thats my only punchline for this thread. lol

Gn
Finally, now that's the swine flu virus I have been waiting on to start posting again:eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

#9 ·
Finally, now that's the swine flu virus I have been waiting on to start posting again:eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D
oh yeah? :D

yeah...perhaps we don't need a Glock subforum....what we really need is a category called glocknuts finest... or glocknuts fuzzy thoughts?! :D

Maybe i oughta run that past Sam and and see what he thinks? :D:D:D:D

Actually.... i can allready imagine his response.... LOL

gn

#11 ·
the new forum should be called

Roasted GlockNUTS
Oh...that's good! I like that idea!!!! I'm surprised i didnt come up with that idea last night when i was sitting on my new heating pad in front of the computer.... go figure.... :D

Gn

#12 ·
No I am pretty sure sawed-off shotguns are illegal no matter how long they are. If you want something like that, you're better off buying one of those shotguns that doesn't have a stock attached to it, but has the longer barrel - like these-

Benelli M4 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benelli_M4
Franchi SPAS 12 - http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Franchi_SPAS-12

I think these are also what they call "Tactical" shotguns, so I don't know if these are legal for civilian ownership. I would think they are as they are semi-automatic. You would have to check your local laws, but that would be better than having a sawed-off that is likely illegal.

#13 ·
Now that everyone has given their opinions, a few facts:

Federal law requires that a shotgun has a barrel at least 18 inches long, with an overall length of at least 26 inches OR it must be registered with the Federal government and a tax paid.

All of y'all that said,"It ain't legal" are wrong. It CAN be illegal, but it can also be legal. Just like having morphine. It can be legal, but it can be illegal. Depends on how you got it.

See the gun? 11 inch barrels. Perfectly legal. Why? I papered it.

Now, I suspect, from the way the question was phrased, that the gun in question is not papered. If so, then it is illegal. Not because it is short, but because it is NOT PAPERED.

The state he lives in (don't know where Bizy is) might not allow it, even if it is registered with the Feds. California don't. Neither does New York or Illinois. Probably others.

#15 ·
If it was in the buy and sell forum it would be called glocknuts for a bargain or free glocknuts ???????????????:D:D:D

#16 ·
oh yeah? :D

yeah...perhaps we don't need a Glock subforum....what we really need is a category called glocknuts finest... or glocknuts fuzzy thoughts?! :D

Maybe i oughta run that past Sam and and see what he thinks? :D:D:D:D

Actually.... i can allready imagine his response.... LOL

gn
Do you remember the Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy on SNL? Possibly Deep Thoughts by Glocknut. There definitely has to be some deep thought in some of the things you post Mike.

#18 ·
Now that everyone has given their opinions, a few facts:

Federal law requires that a shotgun has a barrel at least 18 inches long, with an overall length of at least 26 inches OR it must be registered with the Federal government and a tax paid.

All of y'all that said,"It ain't legal" are wrong. It CAN be illegal, but it can also be legal. Just like having morphine. It can be legal, but it can be illegal. Depends on how you got it.

See the gun? 11 inch barrels. Perfectly legal. Why? I papered it.

Now, I suspect, from the way the question was phrased, that the gun in question is not papered. If so, then it is illegal. Not because it is short, but because it is NOT PAPERED.

The state he lives in (don't know where Bizy is) might not allow it, even if it is registered with the Feds. California don't. Neither does New York or Illinois. Probably others.
----OH YA.... That is true shock & awe....----

#19 ·
I am fairly sure that if you already own a short shot gun that is illegal, you can't paper that gun. If you try, you can be arrested for having said illegal gun. You must first get the paper, then the gun. If I am mistake on this, will someone please correct me.

#22 ·
Alpo is that yours? it is exactly what I have been wanting
Yep. There's a place (or was, anywho) called Dans Guns, in Kansas, that was selling their version of the Ithaca Auto and Burglar, which is what I really wanted. They had bought a bunch of Italian 20 gauge hammerless doubles, that had never had a buttstock put on them. Cut 'em down to ten inches and put a pistol grip on 'em. Sweet. And only a 5.00 tax, because they were AOW. 'Course, they wanted 900 for the gun.

In the writeup on the gun, they said how hammerless guns used the leverage of the barrels to cock the strikers, when the gun was opened, and how shortening the barrels required reworking the action, so the shorter barrels could move the springs. Hmmmm.

I had this Rossi I had two hundred in. Pay 200 to cut my 200 dollar gun, or pay 5 to buy a 900 dollar gun. Hmmmm.

So I paid the 200 dollar tax, and made my own.

#24 ·
Thank you. I did a search for Dans, but couldn't find it, so thought I might have the name wrong. There's a Dan's Pawn here in town - might have been the reason for the "oops" in the old internal confuser.

#25 · (Edited)
that is a fearsome weapon from my point of view. that would be worth the tax for me

do you know the name of the company, or have a link perhaps
Tromix
http://www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm

IMO; A Saiga 12 conversion is the absolute best HD shotgun you can buy. I keep 1mag of buckshot; 1mag of #8 and 1mag loaded with slugs.

Another good thing IF you want a "Short" HDSG, You can equip a short barreled "Converted" Saiga with 5; 8; 10 or even 12rd magazines. You can even buy 20rd drum. (Try doing that with a traditional "tube" magazine.)

This is my HD shotgun:

(The Bi-pod is for the pic and "Slug" fun @ 100yd.)

#26 ·
looks like a cool thing to play with. are the higher capacity mags factory or after market?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.