SB 843 - another attack on gun rights

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Blackhawk Dave, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

2. XShooter

XShooter New Member

That's a nasty one! Looks like it's going to pass also. All I can say is: If you don't have all the guns and ammo you currently need - best get out there and get them quickly.

3. quick95

quick95 New Member

I have been watching this one on other boards, and living here in Az. this one scares me. Free bump and ask that everyone contacts their Senator and tells them Not to vote for this piece of junk...

4. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

This bill is another reason to curb (place the teeth against square edge of the curb, and kick the back of the head) the NRA and support another organization that has a HISTORY of NO COMPRAMISE.

Does this NRA backed name mean anything?
    Sen Gillibrand, Kirsten E. Oh ya, the NRA darling from NY right? Humm, now she is a co-sponsor of this bill.

The NRA needs to learn that they don’t have to support the lesser of two evils or Democrats to support our rights. They need to do the RIGHT thing, and they have a piss poor record of doing that.

Now onto the Bill, it was written by an Anti Constitutional party member (Frank Lautenberg) and Co Sponsored by 11 members of the Anti Constitutional party. Big surprise right, not.

Not only does this bill effect the second amendment, but the first amendment too.
    This bill is also overlooks so many facts about firearm crimes it makes me sick. But what do I expect from a group of people that stand diametrically opposite of the Bill of Rights?

Motor vehicles are much more dangerous than firearms bought from you, or me so when are they going to pass a law that targets the Car show loophole?

May God damn those people that stand for tyranny and oppose freedom. F’in democrats anyways.

5. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

A newspaper, or even this site could fall under this definition.

`(36) GUN SHOW- The term `gun show' means any event--

`(A) at which 50 or more firearms are offered or exhibited for sale, transfer, or exchange, if 1 or more of the firearms has been shipped or transported in, or otherwise affects, interstate or foreign commerce; and

`(B) at which--

`(i) not fewer than 20 percent of the exhibitors are firearm exhibitors;
    `(ii) there are not fewer than 10 firearm exhibitors; or
    `(iii) 50 or more firearms are offered for sale, transfer, or exchange.

6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That's why I joined the GOA. The NRA has done a lot of good over the years, but they've also made a lot of compromises with MY rights. THAT doesn't fly:mad::mad:

7. XShooter

XShooter New Member

I could not disagree more! I make no apology for not going along with the status quo.

The NRA is not a bad organization at all - they are fantastic! I have been a member for 35 years. Yup, they have, and will continue, to make some mistakes - unlike the GOA who never makes mistakes and never compromises on anything - ever.

I do not think it is fair to expect any organization to always be able to "call it right" and predict what a politician will do. Can you? The NRA has done an excellent job at assigning ratings to politicians over the years and warning us about the bad apples.

Even though they are not perfect, the NRA does many good things to help preserve our 2nd amendment and train people concerning firearms. They stopped New Orleans from confiscating people's guns during hurricane Katrina with an injunction. They have taken many many cities to court where bad gun laws were enacted. Gosh, they do so much I would not even know where to begin. They had a big hand in getting the Supreme Court to recently confirm the 2nd amendment as an individual right. They have helped sponsor TONS of good, 2nd amendment legislation and also spent a fortune defending our rights in American courtrooms and lobbying legislators. Not to mention training millions of civilians and law enforcement to handle firearms safely and shoot what they are aiming at. They pushed and lobbied for concealed carry and pumped tons of money into keeping the nationwide momentum for shall issue. They are sponsoring all the new "Castle Doctrine" bills that are passing in many states.

It would take a book for me to list all I have seen them do over the years - much of it first hand. I haven't even mentioned all the competitions, conventions, meetings, auctions, social clubs, insurance, certifications, and so on. I was even able to take blind people shooting at a range! Imagine that! The NRA is so much more than an information dissemination machine! They are actively using manpower and dollars every day of the week to fight for our rights! I am proud to say that I am part of that manpower and would not trade the experience for anything! As with anything in life, you only get out of it what you are willing to put into it!

I don't know exactly why (though I have my ideas), but I have seen, over the years, that some GOA members bash the NRA with this "no compromise" thing. I am not saying that is what everyone here is doing, but I have seen it on a dozen bulletin boards and forums over the years - and it's always the same exact thing: "NRA compromises - GOA doesn't compromise." I have seen enough to think that the GOA actually encourages this. This "no compromise" mantra thing has been used to berate the NRA for probably 10 years now - and you ONLY hear it from GOA members and supporters. Nevertheless, since it's been going on for ages, it's getting old and boring. Anyone who is for preserving the 2nd amendment should support Americans in joining ANY organization that will help preserve it - whether it's the one you belong to or not. Remember also, that a divided house cannot stand! As defenders of freedom, we ought to stand shoulder to shoulder and lift one another up in the battle to preserve our freedoms - no matter what organizations we are affiliated with.

Here is one of my favorites:

Wayne LaPierre "Sets CNN Straight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60aIaNZA0h8

The VP of the NRA defending your rights at the UN by debating Rebecca Peters:

Here is part #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmg_zMuQEDk

Here is part #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WwLz9hBZfM

Here is part #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD1YmYuRtI8

Here is part #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVKvyYqtJ1w

Rebecca Peters was instrumental in pushing the Gun Bans in Austrailia and England. She receives much financial support from George Soros, and she also wants a UN Treaty to Ban Small Arms in America - which is going to come up again now that Obama is in office. This is a few years old, but it is typical of the many interesting things the NRA does to try and help our cause.

You can see by the above videos that the NRA is not a very compromising opponent to deal with!

As a proud member for many years, I encourage everyone I know to join the NRA, but if you prefer the "hardcore" - "no compromise" approach of the GOA, then more power to ya! I hope we ALL get to where we need to go! I might have joined both at one time awhile back, but simply cannot afford more than one. I happily give the NRA way more than my yearly dues.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  8. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Seems like people worry a lot about outright gun bans, but that's not Washington's style for the most part. Better to do it piecemeal.

This reminds me of a recent discussion with a friend of mine. He basically said, ok, rifles and pistols are fine, but why would any private citizen need to own (insert "assault" rifle X here)?

Firstly, I said, it isn't about what I need or not. If I want to buy a sports car, a gaudy home theatre, a riding lawnmower with cupholders, or a gun that's just fun to own and is more gun than I'd (probably) ever need, that's my business.

But more importantly - and more to the point of this thread - politicians like to use slippery slopes to their advantage. Ban "assault" weapons - or in this case, restrict gun shows - today. Then in the future, once folks are comfortable with the idea, you can push a step farther. Ban another class of weapons, move on to restrictions on gun stores, and so on.

9. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Just for the record...she HAD a good gun voting record and WAS backed by the NRA. After she went to Washington Shumer and Clinton straightened her out and made sure got in step with them. She changed her colors, not the NRA.

10. primerib

primerib New Member

Agreed. They'll probably get us with ammo. Have you tried to purchase ammo lately? I keep asking the same questions... Who are these imposters in congress? Aren't they supposed to represent the people? They act like they know better. Some deranged killer goes on a rampage and they need to take everyone's gun away. I don't have the link but their assault weapon list covers a lot more than your typical menacing looking AR-15.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

From thomas.loc:

We have time, but must take action. Don't forget to get after your Congress Critters, also.

Pops

12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I"m not "bashing"the NRA. Far from it. I said that they have and still continue to do much good. But they have also been known to compromise with the liberals and the antis. When the NRA compromises with the enemy, they compromise away a little bit more of MY rights to protect myself and my family. I could only afford to join one or the other. I chose GOA simply because of the NRA's history of being willing to compromise on some issues. If I could have afforded to join both, I would have.