The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an RCBS beam type scale and a Redding beam type scale. I purchased the Redding because I was so impressed with the Big Boss press that I thought I would try it. It is easier to adjust then the RCBS and I like the vertical tenth scale, the RCBS does not have that feature. The Redding scale is a bit harder to read and both scales settle out about the same. The RCBS has a dished pan and the Redding is flat. However, they are both dead accurate. Each pan has a 20 gram calibration weight and it does not matter where the weights are sitting in the pans. They still read 308.6gr. I am always amazed at how accurate they are.

· Registered
267 Posts
Those are two nice looking scales. I just got the RCBS 10-10 and it has the micrometer style adjustment. It is a very nice scale. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a scale. A little pricey at $170 but should be the last scale I ever buy.

I also have a Lee beam scale and in comparison to the RCBS, not even in the same class. I am now done with digital scales forever.

· Banned
14,431 Posts
granted my old herters scale is not magnetically dampened but it is dead accurate and has the vertical scale. it does have a bent metal piece you use to stabilize the beam though. since new ones cost as much as 1000 bullets or at least 2000 primers I'll stick with what I have

· Registered
815 Posts
I've got the RCBS 505 too. I like it, it's been good and accurate to me so far. I'm still new compared to you all, only had it for 8 months now.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
Aw thanks Jim. you remembered my birthday, 2 months early... Ive always wanted a redding scale.

:)

· Registered
5,181 Posts
I have an RCBS beam type scale and a Redding beam type scale. I purchased the Redding because I was so impressed with the Big Boss press that I thought I would try it. It is easier to adjust then the RCBS and I like the vertical tenth scale, the RCBS does not have that feature. The Redding scale is a bit harder to read and both scales settle out about the same. The RCBS has a dished pan and the Redding is flat. However, they are both dead accurate. Each pan has a 20 gram calibration weight and it does not matter where the weights are sitting in the pans. They still read 308.6gr. I am always amazed at how accurate they are.
Hey 76Highboy, I also have both of these same scales. I bought the Redding scale because I was very impressed with the Redding press I have. I now however, wish that I wouldn't have gotten the Redding scale/balance. It is harder to read like you mentioned, and it is easier to knock out of adjustment because of the tiny recesses the counter weights rest into. Another feature about the Redding I don't like is the zeroing screw, the RCBS is much easier to zero than the Redding. Both are very accurate, but the RCBS is much more user freindly.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey 76Highboy, I also have both of these same scales. I bought the Redding scale because I was very impressed with the Redding press I have. I now however, wish that I wouldn't have gotten the Redding scale/balance. It is harder to read like you mentioned, and it is easier to knock out of adjustment because of the tiny recesses the counter weights rest into. Another feature about the Redding I don't like is the zeroing screw, the RCBS is much easier to zero than the Redding. Both are very accurate, but the RCBS is much more user freindly.
I was so impressed with the Redding press that I bought the Redding powder scale. IMO I prefer the zeroing screw on the Redding and it is easier to zero than the RCBS. It is easier to dial it into zero without moving the scale. I have not encountered knocking my scale out of adjustment but I will watch for that. It is harder to read then the RCBS, but it is readable. If I had to choose between the RCBS and the Redding, I would take the Redding. The only problem is JLA is taking it from my along with my Redding Big Boss.

Maybe I should send you my RCBS, and you should send me your Redding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.