The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an RCBS beam type scale and a Redding beam type scale. I purchased the Redding because I was so impressed with the Big Boss press that I thought I would try it. It is easier to adjust then the RCBS and I like the vertical tenth scale, the RCBS does not have that feature. The Redding scale is a bit harder to read and both scales settle out about the same. The RCBS has a dished pan and the Redding is flat. However, they are both dead accurate. Each pan has a 20 gram calibration weight and it does not matter where the weights are sitting in the pans. They still read 308.6gr. I am always amazed at how accurate they are.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Those are two nice looking scales. I just got the RCBS 10-10 and it has the micrometer style adjustment. It is a very nice scale. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a scale. A little pricey at $170 but should be the last scale I ever buy.

I also have a Lee beam scale and in comparison to the RCBS, not even in the same class. I am now done with digital scales forever.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
granted my old herters scale is not magnetically dampened but it is dead accurate and has the vertical scale. it does have a bent metal piece you use to stabilize the beam though. since new ones cost as much as 1000 bullets or at least 2000 primers I'll stick with what I have

·
Premium Member
18,802 Posts
I've got the RCBS 505, had it since 1986. Still just as accurate now as then. I'm pretty sure it's the last scale i'll buy.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have an old Pacific scale that is now my standby. I've been using a digital; the Lyman 1200 DPS, and I've never cross-checked the digital with my old one. I'm kind of afraid to.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've got the RCBS 505 too. I like it, it's been good and accurate to me so far. I'm still new compared to you all, only had it for 8 months now.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Aw thanks Jim. you remembered my birthday, 2 months early... Ive always wanted a redding scale.

:)

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I have an RCBS beam type scale and a Redding beam type scale. I purchased the Redding because I was so impressed with the Big Boss press that I thought I would try it. It is easier to adjust then the RCBS and I like the vertical tenth scale, the RCBS does not have that feature. The Redding scale is a bit harder to read and both scales settle out about the same. The RCBS has a dished pan and the Redding is flat. However, they are both dead accurate. Each pan has a 20 gram calibration weight and it does not matter where the weights are sitting in the pans. They still read 308.6gr. I am always amazed at how accurate they are.
Hey 76Highboy, I also have both of these same scales. I bought the Redding scale because I was very impressed with the Redding press I have. I now however, wish that I wouldn't have gotten the Redding scale/balance. It is harder to read like you mentioned, and it is easier to knock out of adjustment because of the tiny recesses the counter weights rest into. Another feature about the Redding I don't like is the zeroing screw, the RCBS is much easier to zero than the Redding. Both are very accurate, but the RCBS is much more user freindly.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey 76Highboy, I also have both of these same scales. I bought the Redding scale because I was very impressed with the Redding press I have. I now however, wish that I wouldn't have gotten the Redding scale/balance. It is harder to read like you mentioned, and it is easier to knock out of adjustment because of the tiny recesses the counter weights rest into. Another feature about the Redding I don't like is the zeroing screw, the RCBS is much easier to zero than the Redding. Both are very accurate, but the RCBS is much more user freindly.
I was so impressed with the Redding press that I bought the Redding powder scale. IMO I prefer the zeroing screw on the Redding and it is easier to zero than the RCBS. It is easier to dial it into zero without moving the scale. I have not encountered knocking my scale out of adjustment but I will watch for that. It is harder to read then the RCBS, but it is readable. If I had to choose between the RCBS and the Redding, I would take the Redding. The only problem is JLA is taking it from my along with my Redding Big Boss.

Maybe I should send you my RCBS, and you should send me your Redding.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have a $99 Pact that I've used for years and sold the RCBS on ebay. Electronic is the way to go for this old guy. My Pact has life time warranty that has been used a couple of times.
Have to admit my RCBS never had to go back to the factory for repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts