The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specifically semiauto. I know next to nothing about them and want to get my first one.
what I am looking for is to know the pros and cons of each make/model/feature. I know cars have good and bad. you have to just find one that fits you and your needs. problem is, I don't have access to all kinds right now so I can't try them all out.

I'll throw one out there and see what you say. springfield XDs .45 ( read about it in the latest gun world and kind of like it)

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
My XD45 flat rocks. It out shoots the rest of my guns and holds 13+1. It conceals pretty good with my coat or a heavy untucked button up shirt. It shoots anything I have put through it. I ran a cloth through it when I got it and since then I have never cleaned it and it had nevr jammed. Not once.

Last summer I saw a coyote about 400 yards off. I held about 18" above it and my bullet was about 3" high. It is a deadly gun. I would not hesitate to but another one and I am sure I will get another one.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Ok, I'll jump in with this bit of advice. Don't get one (springfield or other) that requires tools to field strip it. You shouldn't need anything other than your fingers. Also, (personal preference) I don't like magazine safeties which means that you have to have a magazine in it to decock it. Those are my two itches. :)

·
TFFWPP President
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'll jump in with this bit of advice. Don't get one (springfield or other) that requires tools to field strip it. You shouldn't need anything other than your fingers. Also, (personal preference) I don't like magazine safeties which means that you have to have a magazine in it to decock it. Those are my two itches. :)
that's what I'm looking for. keep it coming

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
What purpose do you wish to fulfill?

As far as the XD, I like them. They have adjustable grip panels amd have a good feel to them IMO.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
The XD has no mag safety and I tear mine down and reassemble without tools. It is a great gun. It has the hand grip safety and trigger safety. The leather holster for my XD is nice to wear.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The most important part of finding a semi-auto is to find one that feels good to you and that you can hit with.

For defensive use, the less complicated a firearm is generally better. Size and weight play into consideration if the weapon is going to be used for concealed carry.

I second what GunnyGene says about tools and magazine safeties.

What caliber are you looking to carry? Each has it's advantage and disadvantage, as evidenced by the plethora of caliber debates around here. The general consensus is that for a primary EDC semi-auto, 9mm is the minimum caliber.

If you are looking for a range plinker, then most of what I said goes out the window. If you are looking for a carry gun, stick with the big name manufacturers (Colt, Glock, Ruger, Springfield, S&W, etc...).

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
It's really hard to "school" someone, because we all have our likes and dislikes.

I don't like Glocks. Don't like plastic guns, period. An XD is a Glock wannabe with a grip safety. Therefore, it sucks. My opinion.

Magazine safeties. They are not "safeties", they are magazine disconnects. They are so stupid people don't shoot themselves. You know, the kind of stupid people that think that removing the magazine unloads the gun. I've got three guns with magazine disconnects, and have disabled it on two of 'em. If I could figger out how to do it on the third one, it would be gone too. I'm not so much worried about "you need a magazine to decock it" as I am about "I've misplaced the magazine so this is a useless hunk of metal". At least if I lose the magazine on a 1911 I've still got an awkward single-shot. Lose the mag on a S&W and you got a paperweight.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Another item to consider is do you want hammer fired or striker fired? Hammer fired is similar to 1911's and revolvers, where as striker fired is what is found on Glocks and others. Again, each has advantages and disadvantages.

And yes, I am studiously trying to avoid the whole 1911 vs Tupperware debate.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
It's really hard to "school" someone, because we all have our likes and dislikes.

I don't like Glocks. Don't like plastic guns, period. An XD is a Glock wannabe with a grip safety. Therefore, it sucks. My opinion.

Magazine safeties. They are not "safeties", they are magazine disconnects. They are so stupid people don't shoot themselves. You know, the kind of stupid people that think that removing the magazine unloads the gun. I've got three guns with magazine disconnects, and have disabled it on two of 'em. If I could figger out how to do it on the third one, it would be gone too. I'm not so much worried about "you need a magazine to decock it" as I am about "I've misplaced the magazine so this is a useless hunk of metal". At least if I lose the magazine on a 1911 I've still got an awkward single-shot. Lose the mag on a S&W and you got a paperweight.
I was totally against the XD until I shot one. They will fire without the mag. Honestly, I have no desire to own a Glock. I have shot them all and just have no desire. For me the XD fits me perfectly and it shoots excellent. The high capacity mag is a plus and it holds tight groups. Other then being a plastic gun I can find no fault in it. Yes, I would buy another one in in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
specifically semiauto. I know next to nothing about them and want to get my first one.
what I am looking for is to know the pros and cons of each make/model/feature. I know cars have good and bad. you have to just find one that fits you and your needs. problem is, I don't have access to all kinds right now so I can't try them all out.

I'll throw one out there and see what you say. springfield XDs .45 ( read about it in the latest gun world and kind of like it)
Colt Defender

·
TFFWPP President
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hammer vs striker pros and cons?

I am heavily leaning towards .45 and CCW/ defense.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I also like the XD but I love my glock.I have the glock 21 45acp which is a fullsize gun but is very thick so if you dont have large hands the 21 model is not for you.They have plenty of other glocks that aernt so thick.I was in the gunshop the other day and saw a smith&wessen in 40 cal.It has medal slide and polymer grips and it field strips exactly like my glock.It says smith&wesson VE on the slide brandnew it sells for 379. Dont let people fool ya about glocks and XD's being junk plastic.If there junk why would most all the gun makers going to ploymer models.As well as 60% of police have glocks as there duty guns.But I like them all.I like all steel guns to its just whatever you prefer.Everybodies got there opinion and I respect that.good luck

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

True. I made the assumption that decocking was the same as firing, only slower and without a bullet in the chamber. :D Kinda like the 2 different ways of unloading. ;):D

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
hammer vs striker pros and cons?

I am heavily leaning towards .45 and CCW/ defense.
Hammer:
Pros
Allows second strike capability
Reliable technology that's been around for a LONG time
Allows SA and DA in an auto

Cons
Can snag on clothing
Can be prevented from striking firing pin

Striker:
Pros
May or may not allow second strike capability
Consistent trigger pull with every shot
Impossible to block like a hammer
Nothing to snag on clothing

Cons
Can become inoperable due to dirt and grit

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
You need to go to the range and try some different guns. Glocks and XDs are rugged. I personally dislike DAO. Personal thing.

·
Garandaholic
9,574 Posts
School me on handguns....like asking someone to school you on food.

Everybody has their favorites and ones they hate.

Try as many as you can. At least pick them up and operate all the controls.
You'll start to find a few that "feel" good to you.
Then get on forums like this, and start reading about the guns that felt right.
I'll add my 2 cents;
I love my Sigs more than any other I own or have shot.
I have a 226 that I would put up against any pistol out there. It just "feels right" and has never, ever failed me.
You'll probably enjoy a 1911 as well. My Sig 1911 STX is a dream to shoot. I think any brand 1911 is definitely one to try before buying anything else.

·
TFFWPP President
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
some very usefull information here on the mechanical functions and how they work. I can then use this to make my own decision.

keep the facts coming.

double strike capability?

double action?

single action?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
take a search through gunblasts.com for different guns you are looking at for reviews.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
Double-strike capability. If you pull the trigger and the gun goes click, you can cock the hammer and hit it again. It may or may not go off the second time. With a striker-fired gun, if it goes click there is no hammer to cock. Your only option is to cycle the action, which recocks the gun and also brings up a fresh round.

For people that are into "combat shooting", they don't believe in re-hitting it. They believe in "tap-rack-bang". Tap (hit the bottom of the magazine to make sure it is securely seated into the gun), Rack (cycle the action to quickly get the misfired round out and a new one into the chamber), Bang (pretty self-explanitory). Those of us that are not preparing for war tend to like the ability to hit it again. It's a personal choice.

Double action. When you pull the trigger the hammer does two things. It goes backwards, then it goes forwards. This is more difficult to shoot than single action. The spring pressure you are pushing against when pulling the trigger is normally MUCH greater. Typical double-action trigger pulls run between 13 and 20 pounds, while typical single-action pulls run between 3 and 5 pounds.

Single Action. When you pull the trigger the hammer (or the striker) only moves in one direction - forward. The hammer or striker must be cocked for the gun to work.

Like most double-action revolvers, most double-action autos can first be cocked with your thumb, making the shot a single-action shot. Unlike a double-action revolver, however, with most double-action autos, the second and all successive shots are single-action. When the gun fires the action cycles, throwing out the empty shell, chambering a new round, and in the process cocking the hammer. For this reason, many people refer to most double-action autos as "double and single action". Idiotic phrasing, in my opinion.

There are a few double-action autos that do not leave the hammer cocked when they cycle. The hammer follows the slide back down, and you have the long, hard double-action pull for every shot. These guns are called "double-action only".

Most double-action automatics have a trigger-pull of about an inch, when shooting double-action, and about 1/16 inch when shooting single-action. Unlike a DA (that means "double-action", just as SA means "single-action") revolver, however, when the hammer is cocked on most DA autos, the trigger is not all the back, but is still out in the position for DA shooting. When you pull the trigger you have an inch of slop before you start to feel tension. That is one of the reasons why many of us dislike DA autos.

With a DA revolver, I pull the trigger, there is a 14-pound trigger pull and the trigger moves 3/4 of an inch. For the next shot, it is the exact same thing - 14 pounds and 3/4 inch. With a Beretta 92 (for example), I pull the trigger, there is a 14-pound trigger pull and the trigger moves an inch. For the next shot there is a 4-pound pull, the trigger moves for 7/8 inch with no pressure against it, and then it moves 1/8 inch against pressure. This is annoying. Sure you can get used to it. You can get used to driving an English car and shifting with your left hand. You can get used to using a toilet in some backward country where you just squat over a hole in the concrete floor. But why should you CHOOSE to get used to that, when you don't have to?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts