The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading on General Discussions Forum got me to thinking about my experience with my recent introduction to the AR, and how I squeeze the trigger. Trying to facilitate a nice smooth trigger pull, it seems the thing (Ruger 556) will not release quite when I expect it to, length of pull, shot to shot, causing me to pull the shot and do a "yank it". Is this the results of an unrefined trigger? If so, can the thing be polished to make it smoother? Or do I need to throw money at it?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you know what the problem is. Can you polish parts to make it a smoother pull? Yes. But I would recommend an aftermarket drop in trigger.
I'll start by wasting some time as I have an abundance of it and little cash, but in the mean time I will be enjoying drooling the adds for triggers with more purpose!

I suppose my 1911A1 Tisas could suffer from the same, I seem to hiccup with it at times?

All that aside, a bunch of ammo might smooth things out!?

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
I believe having a heavy trigger like yours for now can be a positive attribute. I do not know what your experience level is with firearms but doing some dry fire exercises with the factory trigger you have can really enhance your trigger technique. In the military they would have us place a dime at the end of the barrel than have us squeeze the trigger, if the dime fell off the barrel it meant you were jerking the trigger, if it stayed on you were squeezing the trigger properly because it meant you did not know when the trigger would go off while you have your picture sight alignment. When you can squeeze the trigger 10 times in a row you have mastered your technique.

As mentioned above polishing the triggers or buying a drop in trigger will greatly enhance the accuracy of the rifle. There are many good quality triggers and it eventually becomes a personal preference. I've purchased the 2 stage triggers from Rock River Arms that I love and have purchased more expensive triggers like Timmy triggers are so easy to install and also two stage, and frankly I prefer the Rock River Arms. Like I said, personal preference.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe having a heavy trigger like yours for now can be a positive attribute. I do not know what your experience level is with firearms but doing some dry fire exercises with the factory trigger you have can really enhance your trigger technique. In the military they would have us place a dime at the end of the barrel than have us squeeze the trigger, if the dime fell off the barrel it meant you were jerking the trigger, if it stayed on you were squeezing the trigger properly because it meant you did not know when the trigger would go off while you have your picture sight alignment. When you can squeeze the trigger 10 times in a row you have mastered your technique.

As mentioned above polishing the triggers or buying a drop in trigger will greatly enhance the accuracy of the rifle. There are many good quality triggers and it eventually becomes a personal preference. I've purchased the 2 stage triggers from Rock River Arms that I love and have purchased more expensive triggers like Timmy triggers are so easy to install and also two stage, and frankly I prefer the Rock River Arms. Like I said, personal preference.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, that's the answer, deal with it first!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've done a polish job on the trigger sears in my Aero M4E1. No before/after comparison to offer up because I polished it before putting it in. But I will say that a good polish job will do wonders for you, and for a MUCH lower price than that you see on drop-in triggers.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The drop-in cassette style triggers are nice but require anti-walk pins and are relatively fragile compared to more traditional fire control groups. In my opinion, there are no hard-use cassette triggers. Two affordable alternatives are the ALG Combat Trigger (MSRP $79) and the Larue Tactical MBT-2S (MSRP $99). Both are big improvements over the "mil-spec" gritty OEM triggers and you don't run the risk of rounding the sear engagement surfaces by polishing the OEM parts.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Funny, I had ZERO problems achieving "Expert" Qualification on the M16 while in the Service, with those crappy triggers. I found it ridiculously easy to shoot well, at distance with the two open sights. (Rear flip up peep sight apertures.) I remember being astounded this thing was so accurate at 400 yard distances.

My favorite range was the 400 yard random Pop Up target range. If I remember correctly, you had 2-3 seconds to acquire and shoot the target that would Pop-Up randomly at different distances. If you missed, or took too long to shoot, it would drop bag down and be labeled/scored a "Miss." Hitting 21 out of 22 was relatively easy. Like most at that point, I had zero experience shooting the AR/M16 platform.

I remember thinking, "Man, I REALLY wouldn't want someone who knows how to shoot, shooting at me with one of these. 🤔

I did grow up shooting/hunting in a Military Family though.

Crappy triggers? (Jerking the trigger never works.) Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Will polishing that trigger remove or reduce the take up - nope. Will it reduce the reset distance - nope. There is no substitute for a quality trigger. Can you get used to Okra, not if I were starving.

The only problem with installing a great aftermarket trigger is that you wonder why you didn't do it sooner and which firearm is going to get a better trigger next.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Funny, I had ZERO problems achieving "Expert" Qualification on the M16 while in the Service, with those crappy triggers. I found it ridiculously easy to shoot well, at distance with the two open sights. (Rear flip up peep sight apertures.) I remember being astounded this thing was so accurate at 400 yard distances.

My favorite range was the 400 yard random Pop Up target range. If I remember correctly, you had 2-3 seconds to acquire and shoot the target that would Pop-Up randomly at different distances. If you missed, or took too long to shoot, it would drop bag down and be labeled/scored a "Miss." Hitting 21 out of 22 was relatively easy. Like most at that point, I had zero experience shooting the AR/M16 platform.

I remember thinking, "Man, I REALLY wouldn't want someone who knows how to shoot, shooting at me with one of these. 🤔

I did grow up shooting/hunting in a Military Family though.

Crappy triggers? (Jerking the trigger never works.) Practice makes perfect.
Now imagine shooting the same M16 at the same targets with a 3.5 lbs crisp trigger with no take up and 3/16" reset. :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reading on General Discussions Forum got me to thinking about my experience with my recent introduction to the AR, and how I squeeze the trigger. Trying to facilitate a nice smooth trigger pull, it seems the thing (Ruger 556) will not release quite when I expect it to, length of pull, shot to shot, causing me to pull the shot and do a "yank it". Is this the results of an unrefined trigger? If so, can the thing be polished to make it smoother? Or do I need to throw money at it?
I like to build my triggers. First i start out with 500 to a thousand rounds fired through the gun. That is if the trigger is not too bad. Then a good spring kit. The spring kit fixes half of my problems. Still not satisfied? Then i pack silver polish into every contact place in the trigger. Dummy round a few hundred times. Clean and using a heavy grease try again. Sometimes this just does not do it. Now buy trigger kit. Glenn.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
My Best trigger? It is the AccuTrigger X Pro on my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. This thing is amazing compared to other triggers I have used. Currently set a 3.5lbs. Breaks like snapping a small glass rod. Exceptional.

Got it sitting on my BOG DeathGrip Shooting Tripod in the living room, just in front of me just now. Will take some photo's and post a range report at some point. 😁

Right after I attend my Procastinators R Us, meeting. 🤔😉😂

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My Best trigger? It is the AccuTrigger X Pro on my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. This thing is amazing compared to other triggers I have used. Currently set a 3.5lbs. Breaks like snapping a small glass rod. Exceptional.

Got it sitting on my BOG DeathGrip Shooting Tripod in the living room, just in front of me just now. Will take some photo's and post a range report at some point. 😁

Right after I attend my Procastinators R Us, meeting. 🤔😉😂
Procrastinators Unite ! ... tomorrow

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm the leader of my own small group, there are three of us, our pronouns are me, myself and I, cackle cackle.........

I'm the leader of my own small group, there are three of us, our pronouns are me, myself and I, cackle cackle.........
I just thought that sounded funny with some of the stuff on the news! No alignment whatsoever!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts