Scientist Hawking 'very ill'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pawn, Apr 25, 2009.

1. pawn

pawn Active Member

God Bless. A genius and icon during my lifetime. Hope he will be ok.

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Scientist and author Stephen Hawking is "very ill" and has been hospitalized, according to Cambridge University, where he is a professor.

Stephen Hawking in Pasadena, California, in March.

Cambridge University said the 67-year-old is "comfortable" and will stay overnight at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.

Hawking, one of the world's most famous physicists, is also a cosmologist, astronomer, and mathematician.

Wheelchair-bound Hawking is perhaps most famous for "A Brief History of Time," which explored the origins of the universe in layman's terms. The book is considered a modern classic.

Hawking has Lou Gehrig's Disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or ALS), which is usually fatal after three years. Hawking has survived for more than 40 years since his diagnosis.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/04/20/hawking.health/index.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

pawn: I must say I am impressed by your post. It has always amassed me how guys like Stephen Hawking go unnoticed by the public at large, yet people like him are so important. As an example ask most any young person (50 and younger) who Jerry Garcia was (Greatfull Dead band) and they know, even having annual candle light celebrations of his life, but ask them who Dr. Jonas Salk was and they look at you like a cocker spaniel. Far more people seem to know the unimportant yet are ignorant of the things or people that are really important, solving the problem at least for me as to why our country is in the shape it is in.

Ron

Ron

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009

3. obxned

obxned Active Member

This is sad. I don't want to think about a world without a mind like his.

Muddober: the uneducated among us may not know the names of Jonas Salk or Albert Sabin, but there is a very good chance they know of DaVinci, Galileo, or Sir Isaac Newton. They are much more Stephen Hawking's true peers.

4. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Both of my Dads brothers had the same condition, but only by symptoms, as they were not properly diagnosed.
    Both lived far beyond the age 11 that doctors suggested.
    Ages 49 and 54.
    Both had minds trapped in dysfunctional bodies, unfortunately before the PC age.
    As for his books, I've read them and enjoyed them immensely.

5. muddober

muddober Active Member

obxned: While I understand and agree with your first and second sentences I disagree with your third and fourth statements wholeheartedly. What makes you even think the "uneducated" would have a clue who these three people were much less their accomplishments? As for your third sentence I am not sure what you are trying to say. Peers? Both Salk and Sabin as you obviously know eradicated polio which like the other three you mention changed the world as well, but in different ways. Perhaps you meant peers in the contex of just the four and I am thinking more global in that all of them have had a profound impact on the world in science.

I really like your two quotes.

Ron

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It may mean very little, but the hospital is about two miles from me and I heard he is on the mend.

We all see him in the street from time to time! Interesting place to live..

7. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I believe Hawking is one of the greatest minds of all time. I agree with the fact that he is definitely overlooked by the "common man." I fear we are living in a world where many folks do not like to "think" about anything deeper than where/what their next meal is coming from and Hawking's discourses are too deep for most. I usually encourage people to go to www.TED.com to, at very least, see and hear what exciting things are going on and being invented in the world today and generally try to get them excited about the future.

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I agree fmacsin1. The fact he has achieved what he has in his condition should be an example to us all.

In addition, re the future, I believe the head of the US patent office once said 'everything useful that can be invented has now been invented'. It was around 1880.

Bell said of the telephone he 'could see a time when there would be one in every major American city'.

And I think the head of IBM once said there 'would never be any need for people to have computers in the home'.

If nothing else this should show us we really have no idea what is to come.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Stephen Hawking is one of my heroes for the way he handled his life once he found out he had Lou Gehrig's Disease. Makes me wonder what this man could have achieved if he had not been stricken by this disease. Then maybe he would have achieved nothing had he not!

10. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Not only the uneducated. I recently mentioned the name to a college teacher, not a full professor, but someone with a masters degree, teaching the sciences. This person had no clue as to Hawking is or what his accomplishments are.
    oldogy

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  11. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Now that's deplorable! How can you possibly be a teacher of science and not know who Stephen Hawking is! I'm a ninth grade drop out, and I not only know who he is, but what he has accomplished.

12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have a neighbor with three masters degrees, but he is severely lacking in intelligence and sense. The acquisition of degrees doesn't mean one is smart! LOL!

13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You got that right pinecone. Living in a university city I have several friends who are lecturer/ professor types. Many of which couldn't change a plug, The bath type!

In their own fields they know all there is to know, beyond that they get a bit lost.

14. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Talk about keep on keeping on. The intillect of this man is exceeded only by his determination. It is a blessing to know there are men like him when all you can find in the MSM and in government are mental midgets, not to denigrate midgets. Am I in trouble again with thought Nazies for using denigrate?

15. muddober

muddober Active Member

oldogy: This is an extension or expansion of my point; we pay the uninformed who were taught by the uniformed to teach our children and then we wonder why they don't know anything. I call these people educated idiots. Obama is a prime example of an educated idiot. Here is a guy that has never really had a full time job that I know of. Never had to make a payroll in his life an yet he is the president, put into office by both plain garden variety dummies and educated idiots.

Ron