Scope for a 50 cal (50BMG) rifle???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by LDBennett, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What power scope do you need for ranges like 600 to 800 yds on a 50 cal gun? This is not to be a competition gun. It needs a pretty good eye relief, too, I would think, to keep from getting a bloody eyebrow.

What scope will handle the recoil without coming apart? We are about to buy a 50DTC EDM bolt action conversion (BOHICA) for use on a AR lower. I know they recoil tremendously so scope durability has to be a problem, I would think.

Anyone got some experience with this requirement for a scope?

LDBennett

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

one of the elite series from bushnell should do nicely or a burris Extreme tactical. A 30mm tube for sure in a very rugged mount.... Expect to spend nearly what the upper will cost...

3. LDBennett

JLA said:

"Expect to spend nearly what the upper will cost..."

I sure hope not! The upper is about $1500.

Someone out there must have some real experience with this problem (??).

LDBennett

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the elites run about 1100 and the burris Extreme tactical run between 800 and 1100. They are expensive but your specific application is what they are designed for...

5. muddober

muddober Active Member

LD: I would suggest the Leupold Mark IV or one of the Night Force scopes. I also would suggest a variable version of either one. The straight 16 power Mark IV works great but it can be hard to find targets at closer ranges and even at long range it has a narrow field of view and takes some getting use too. As for recoil you will need a style of rings that utilize a 3/8 or 7/16 wrench to tighten to the rail mount and check them often. To the shooter the 50 BMG does not recoil all that bad but to a scope it raises hell somewhat like a pellet gun does and why I don't know for sure but I am suspect the break has something to do with it. How I came to that notion is when I was shooting 200 grain bullets in a plastic sabot and it actually felt like the gun was being pulled away from me as opposed to recoiling back. The other thing depending on the muzzle break you have if it is the round type with ports in the top you should wear a hat if shooting under a canopy like many ranges have. The crap that break will blow off a canopy can get in your eyes and hair big time. A clam shell type break can blow stuff off both shooting benches next to you including your spotting scope if not placed right behind you. I learned that one the hard way. Also depending on how stiff your barrel is, bore sighting could be a waist of time. The gun I had showed about 9 feet off the target at 100 yards and my theory on that, is the barrel is spinning almost 2 ounces of bullet about 140,000 rpm in less than a millisecond which literally is twisting or trying to straighten out the barrel in the opposite direction of the spin causing the barrel to be in a whipped position as the bullet is released. The 50 for me was a lot fun a lot of which is the physics that are involved that you don't get to see as well shooting a 165 grain bullet and burning 55 grains of powder in an 06. Stepping up to .510 caliber, a 750 grain bullet and burning 250 grains of WC872 magnifies the physics expediently.

Ron

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

mine is a bushnell elite.
    [​IMG]

m77user likes this.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Well-Known Member

I would steer clear of the Bushnell 3200 and get the next size up. I went through 2 of them in 6 months, (awaiting my refund.) They say the 3200 can handle 1000 shots from an H&H mag, but the next size up says 10,000 shots. So I suspect the higher numbered models are made with higher recoiling rifles in mind.

8. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Well-Known Member

But what model number? Looks like t a 3200 Tactical, same as I had, both died way before their time. Now I'm thinking on going back to my $50 BSA.

9. rjhauser

rjhauser New Member

3200, and it has held recoil for quite some time, and a whole lot of rounds. it has made the trip to knob creek twice, and fort riley in kansas once.....

ymmv

10. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

My buddy has had a couple of 50's built and put a lot of research into it.

Now I know you said the one you are putting together is not going to be a competition gun. He talked mostly with competition shooters, and a lot of the ones he talked to use Night Force scopes.

11. Simon 04

Simon 04 New Member

Hello !
    It's also possible to use a Night Force scope for a .50 rifle ?

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have a friend that has a Barret .50 with the Leupold Mark IV tactical scope with the Barrett BORS system Ballistic Computer. He stated the combination is rather costly but is well worth the expense.....

13. Silverbullet404

Silverbullet404 New Member

Centerpoint. Or up to Leatherwood.

The problem in a lot of cases is not the scope. If you mount the scope mounts one towards the front and one towards the rear, and if you have ever watched slow motion vids of the BMG firing you will see that it "tries to break in half". I know this is a severe description but this is what kills scopes. You have to place your scope mounts both in front or in back of the point which tries to break in half.In slomo you can see the rifle 'bow' which is enough to break just about anything which is anchored in the front and rear.

14. LDBennett

This is a very old thread. We have bought the gun, shot the gun, and I transferred my ownership to the partner and the gun is lone gone. We had our trials and tribulations with it: had to reform 50BMG cases to CA legal 50DTC, buy all the reloading stuff including a press (read expensive), and buy and mount a scope.

We went with the Millet high power scope meant for 50BMG. But that was not enough because the first use of it was a catastrophe. The scope would slide in the rings and it moved to where a turret was touching the rings on the gun and broke the scope internally. Millet was great and replaced the scope for free. To stop the scope from moving I used four mounting rings instead of two, lapped them to fit the scope tube, and used a low tension loctite to glue the scope tube to the rings. That solved the problem.

The Bohica (AR 50BMG/50DTC) story a tough one. There was an incident with one of the conversions at a LA range where the details are only known to the victim. Apparently he did something to make the gun fire without the bolt being fully closed. The damage to him was extensive, especially his hands. Of course there was a law suit forcing Bohica out of business. So there are no spare parts for the conversion anymore. I was not the impetus for this 50BMG trip but the enabler to build the gun and do the reloading. I tired of it all and walked away from the partnership. Oh well, it was just another project where the trip was better than the destination. At least I can say I shot a 50BMG power level cartridge. My impression is it is way too much for me with the heavy recoil, the loud report, and the heavy concussion near the shooting bench. My partner loves it...to each his own.

LDBennett

firefighter1635 likes this.
  15. Silverbullet404

Silverbullet404 New Member

Call me crazy. "SAM YOU ARE CRAZY!" Having blown out two medium priced scopes, I keep hearing about air gun scopes. Because the impact of an airgun is both reverse and then forward, they are actually built sturdier than most rifle scopes. I bought the best air gun scope I could find at $69.00 and Im going to try it!!!

I bought two. One is on a .22 rifle just so I can get used to using it without spending a ton of dough. Although it is ranged in at only 60 yards, I like it so far.

"Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will figure out the easiest way to do it."