The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was just given a 1958-59 Winchester model 94 .32 special it is my first gun. It's been a blast to shoot but I am new to the sport and I was curious if its a good idea to add a scope to it. Or is it better to just keep it authentic. And if a scope is a good idea what kind of scope should I look for I do not want to damage the gun in anyway. I am hooked!
Also if it makes a difference I am preparing myself for next hunting season.
Thank you

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm not an expert at on these guns, but I would guess it eject's the empty cases upward?, so a sidemount type scope might be your only option, BUT...I seriously doubt that anyone here will suggest altering the gun(having holes drilled/tapped)in any way, enjoy it for what it is, and only take shots at game that are within the gun's, and your ability with the open sights, if it were mine, and original/unaltered, I would not do anything to it and just enjoy it, any alteration will reduce the value as well, sometimes greatly reduce it, depending on the alteration,

Just hang on, some that actually knows something will be along to provide some educated advice,

·
Registered
764 Posts
Vintage Winchester lever-actions should never be scoped! The first non-factory hole that you drill in the gun will result in a minimum 50% reduction in the value, not including the cost to have the work done.

Bert H.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I suggest you investigate aperature sights AKA "peep sights". Many 94's were equipped with them by their owners. The sight is fast, and more accurate that the standard open sights. Just look through the eye hole, put the front sight on your target and shoot. They have been used by the military since 1936 when the M-1 Garand was made with an aperature sight. Worked for me until age crept up on my eyes. Also many post WW2 94's were factory drilled and tapped for peep sights. Look for two little screws on the left of the receiver just in front of the hammer. Faster and better on close running targets.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Also one company made an aperature sight that screwed onto the tang of lever action rifles. As I recall, it used existing screw holes on the tang. Some occasionally are on Ebay. Some research will be rewarding!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have (not bragging) 3 Mdl. 94's. One is a NIB Buffalo Bill Cody, with all the paperwork 30-30 cal. I have 2 carbines, 25-35 Mfg. 1949, and a 32spl. mfg. 1959. I have installed on the existing holes Wiliams peep sights. Really let you get on target quickly. Have windage and elevation adjustments as well.
Lyman also makes tang sights for the mdl 94 that are screwed down with the existing tang screw or a longer scre to make up for the add's. thickness.

Every ones comments are right, do not drill, or make changes, it will cost you.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
They do make side mount scope brackets for the 94 that utilize existing factory holes. Still, I have 2 Model 94's and I won't put scopes on them because I don't want to harm the finish, even though I can't see without one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts