The Firearms Forum banner

scope it or modify stock?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Buffalochip 
#1 ·
I bought this sporterized Model 1894 Swedish Mauser carbine in 6.5 x 55 over the weekend for $200. All matching (not that it matters) with beautifully fitted walnut Fajan stock, lyman rear sight and quality front sight. Bore is excellent.

Now the problem. The stock is meant to be used with a scope. When you shoulder the rifle and look through the peep sight, your eye naturally centers the rear sight at the bottom of the front sight. With a bit of contorting, I can center it on the bead, but that's not good.

I like the iron sights and the unobliterated markings on the receiver, which would be covered by a scope mount. I also like the stock. Obviously I can't have both. I'm good with tools and could reshape the stock so as to aesthetically shave down the comb. Or I could scope it. Any opinions?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a Monte Carlo stock. They don't fit me either. If you are going to be shooting at distance, you might want a scope for better accuracy. If you want to use the open sights, then cutting down the stock is the way to go. If you decide to cut the stock down, you need to know how low it has to be! And you will have to refinish all the wood. Personally, if it were my gun, and I wanted it to look really good, I would have someone do the wood work that was a professional, rather than attempt it myself. I have done a lot of work with wood, thus, my handle, carver.

#4 ·
The stock positions your head, so that looking through the rear sight has you looking at the bottom of the front sight?

Bottom of the blade, or bottom of the ramp? If bottom of the blade, I'd suggest a lower ramp. Changing the sight would be easier and cheaper than modifying the stock, and would probably look better.

#5 ·
That's a Monte Carlo stock. They don't fit me either. If you are going to be shooting at distance, you might want a scope for better accuracy. If you want to use the open sights, then cutting down the stock is the way to go. If you decide to cut the stock down, you need to know how low it has to be! And you will have to refinish all the wood. Personally, if it were my gun, and I wanted it to look really good, I would have someone do the wood work that was a professional, rather than attempt it myself. I have done a lot of work with wood, thus, my handle, carver.
Thanks--I've made gunstocks before from block walnut, so carving isn't an issue. I'll probably go with cutting down the stock. This carbine has an 17-18 inch barrel, so long-distance shooting isn't in the cards given reduced velocity.

#6 ·
The stock positions your head, so that looking through the rear sight has you looking at the bottom of the front sight?

Bottom of the blade, or bottom of the ramp? If bottom of the blade, I'd suggest a lower ramp. Changing the sight would be easier and cheaper than modifying the stock, and would probably look better.
Looking through the peep site has me looking at the bottom of the ramp. I've bore sighted it and the peep site looks dead on.

#7 · (Edited)
Sell it to me!!!!LOL Seriously, I have had several Carl Gustaf Stads, have modified many of them, and what you have is common with modified swede 96s especially with monte carlo stocks. I wouldl take some off the stock if the plan is shooting in an open sight class or if the stock is not a dead set issue, buy an after market straight stock to put on it. IF using it for hunting though and do not want the hassle of modifying or replacing the stock, I would scope it.

On looking at it, what size hole in the rear peep? You might try a larger hole aperture and see how that works. BUT if bore sighted and it is on as is, might not work. There is one other option, cutting the front sight base down some then recutting the dove tail BUT that will take a bit of work?

Seriously though, I have been looking for a nice swede set up like yours! You stole it IMHO and if you run across another for sale, drop me a line.

#8 ·
Sell it to me!!!!LOL Seriously, I have had several Carl Gustaf Stads, have modified many of them, and what you have is common with modified swede 96s especially with monte carlo stocks. I wouldl take some off the stock if the plan is shooting in an open sight class or if the stock is not a dead set issue, buy an after market straight stock to put on it. IF using it for hunting though and do not want the hassle of modifying or replacing the stock, I would scope it.

On looking at it, what size hole in the rear peep? You might try a larger hole aperture and see how that works. BUT if bore sighted and it is on as is, might not work. There is one other option, cutting the front sight base down some then recutting the dove tail BUT that will take a bit of work?

Seriously though, I have been looking for a nice swede set up like yours! You stole it IMHO and if you run across another for sale, drop me a line.
Thanks--I think I'll go ahead and modify the stock. I'm 58 and learned to shoot with iron sights and didn't have a scoped gun until 20 years ago or so. Peep sights allow me to forgo the scope. I picked this one up at a pawn shop where they were asking $229 for it. It was filthy but looked fine otherwise. If I do come across another, I'll let you know. There is another pawn shop in my area that has a dozen or so 96 rifles that have been professionally restocked in black composite with scope mounts. Asking price is $290.

#10 ·
Well, I'm on the same page with this on e that you are buffalochip. I'd trim down the comb of the stock so you get a good line up on the iron sights.
Or...jjmitchell beat me to it though...send the stock my way. :)

I've got an M96/38 (24") that is set up nearly the same way. I D&T'd it for a Williams receiver sight and I use it open-sights-only as my brush rifle. Mine still has a butchered military stock, but a new stock has been on my project list for some years now.
I want to do an early 20th-century commercial Mauser sporter look with mine though.

I love the receiver sight for close-range work...and so far my eyeballs are still good enough for out to 200yds on deer with it too.

#12 ·
I think I'd probably chop the stock also and retain iron sights. I bought one years ago from a buddy at work for $100 that was beat to crap and someone had (badly) drilled and tapped it for a scope so that's what it gets. but one day it will get a new barrel and a better scope along with a nice stock. Headspace on mine is right on the verge of being unsafe to shoot. Yours looks to be in better shape than my beat up one.

the mannlicher stock looks great on these though, mine has same length barrel but a cut stock. Great little brush buster of a carbine!

#13 ·
The manlicher stock is what drew me to it. I love manlicher stocked guns. I have sporterized many 6.5 swedes and all ended up great shooters, Sadly never kept one for myself, only one I have left is an all matching 96 long rifle with the threaded barrel and micrometer dial rear sight. Many over look the 6.5x55 here in the US for some reason. I agree that sight elevation is the problem BIUT I am betting Buffalochip is like muself when it comes to a high comb on a stock; too short of a neck for them to fit properly! I still wonder if lowering teh front sight might be the best option than cut the comb of that beutiful stock!!!!

#14 ·
...I am betting Buffalochip is like muself when it comes to a high comb on a stock; too short of a neck for them to fit properly! I still wonder if lowering teh front sight might be the best option than cut the comb of that beutiful stock!!!!
What neck? I don't have one... On a whim, I shouldered it on my left shoulder and my left eye lined up naturally with the sights when my cheek rested on the side of the stock that didn't have the cheek rest. So, assuming my face is somewhat symmetrical, I think all I need to do is remove most or all of the cheek rest and I'll be fine--may not have to mess with the comb/contour of the stock at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.