Scope usage with non-dominant eye

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Virginia Patriot, May 23, 2020.

1. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

I am right handed, shoot right handed but I am left eye dominant. When shooting handguns, I have no problem because I shoot with both eyes open. My question is about using a scope on a rifle. If I use my right eye to sight in my scoped rifle, and for some reason I am unable to use it and someone else picks up my rifle that is right eye dominant, will he be on target? I realize this is an unusual question, but if we are in a SHTF scenario and I pick up someone else's rifle that is right eye dominant, will I hit the target? Thanks in advance for your help, I have heard all sorts of answers and I want to nail this down once and for all.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

I have the same problem, so I mount all my scopes a little high so that I can use my dominant eye. It's not an unusual question at all; I've often wondered the same. I haven't studied it a whole lot, but I've often picked up a righty's gun and fired it without any problem. Considering it from a physics point of view, you have a reticle in an optical device zeroed in on a point in space at which a physical bullet will hit at a particular range. That alignment of an optical path and a physical path is fixed, and to my mind, it doesn't matter which eye is dominant, so long as only one is being used to aim. What's critical isn't which eye you use, but that the eye you choose to use is perfectly aligned with the axis of the scope; that can be hard to achieve with a left eye and a low mounted scope.

Where I have trouble is trying to discern which image I'm really seeing when I shoot iron sights with both eyes open. I'll usually close my right eye, just to make sure I'm using the dominant one, but I really need to learn to use them both. Practice, practice, practice...

3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

With iron sights, you'll have a problem, but not with a scope. Something else I discovered, I prefer a post and crosshair, but for long range varmint, fine crosshairs with a dot reticle. Dot was fuzzy and a weird shape. Working on one, forgot I had my readers on, and shouldered the gun to look through the scope to check for eye relief. The Dot was crystal clear!
    My eye doc is a shooter, and I told him about it. He thought for a minute and said it never crossed his mind, but that would work.

4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

My shooting buddy and I have found that a scoped rifle does indeed print differently for us. Some difference in our eyes, but one of us nearly always shoots an inch or two different than the other, with same scoped rifle. Any rifle. Odd but true.
    For a time I was shooting left eyed due to degradation of my right eye. Then I got the Cataract Surgery. My eyes are good, and my shooting has much improved. No more shooting "center of fuzzy mass"!

jwdurf and Virginia Patriot like this.
  5. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Very easy fix, shoot with your left eye closed. Been doing it all my life!

JONWILL and Virginia Patriot like this.
  6. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate all of the input and the tips. Like I always say, there is lot of good info and lots of great people here on TFF. Stay safe everybody! God Bless!

7. JONWILL

JONWILL Well-Known Member

That is what I do with rifles. I use my right hand and my left eye when shooting handguns.

I slightly tilt my head to the right and line up my left eye. I need to squint the right eye but it allows me to see. I used to just close my left eye but I lost all peripheral vision on the left.

Virginia Patriot likes this.