The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the virus lock-downs, there aren't any gun/militaria shows running or even proposed. I was chatting with some friends about firearms and such like, and a fella pipes up mentioning some ammunition he was willing to sell. To make a long story short, I purchased a near pristine box of .32 RF long ammo. There's no corrosion, just a little oxidization, no signs of water damage or improper storage. I don't know exactly how old the box is, but now I have something more to feed the S&W Mod. 1-1/2. Prices at the gun shows for this stuff are crazy up here so I got it at a very nice price. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Well done and congrats!!

I expect you know, those can be reloaded with patience, the right tools and bullet mold.

I've been curious to try the 32 Long, RF in one of the many rifles for which it was chambered. Just haven't come across the right rifle at the right price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Now, that I did not know. How do you insert priming compound into a once-fired old rimfire cartridge? I have a part box of vintage CIL ammo as well. Not that I plan to shoot the old Mod.1-1/2 very often but the casings on some of the old CIL stuff split when fired. It made for a pain in the butt extraction. There are kits available where an offset Ramset charge is used in a modern brass casing but again, I don't plan to shoot this often enough to justify the outlay for more components. I'm gathering the needfuls to reload my .44 Russian and though that'll strain the budget a little, being a pensioner, I juggled the finances enough to make it work.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Where there's a will, there's a way. I understand completely!!

I did some digging on the 32 RF and learned that several folks do reload it. Cast Boolits is one place I saw info. There is a little tool whereby you massage out the firing pin dent. Insert a drop of priming compound and spin it in a battery drill. Voila'!! Primed rimfire case. I think those take heeled bullets and molds are available. BP charge will be what it will be and I think some guys are shooting Trail Boss. I forget what dies they used to load it. At any rate, it can be done and has to be a labor of love...and well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

The Russian is a fun cartridge. I just wish my S&W...#3 I think...hadn't had 3 1/2 inches of the barrel cut off...which also took the front sight.... 😢

1 - 4 of 4 Posts