The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are pics of my 9mm cases after I re sized and un primed them in my Hornaday 9mm die set. They have a slight scuff mark on them. When I use my Lee die to de prime and re size they come out without a scuff. I also noticed some brass shavings about the size of a thread inside the die. Is this normal for the hornaday. The die is set up right as it is the first one, does not take a a wiz to set the first one up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have seen this before, but I dont remember what they said caused it. One of the guys that know should show up soon. In the meantime, it's back to the top.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with every Hornady product I have purchased in the last year. They have SERIOUS quality control problems.

Avoid Hornady products.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The die is new and the brass is one time shot(not by me). and yes it is the right 9mm die. Here is pic of the label
Should I call hornady?? .. I do have a lee 9x18 die that seems a whole lot smoother and leaves none of these scuff marks on the brass slivers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
How old are the dies? I tried to look up the SKU number on your label and nothing comes up. My 9mm dies say "9mm Luger - 9 X 21" on the label.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How old are the dies? I tried to look up the SKU number on your label and nothing comes up. My 9mm dies say "9mm Luger - 9 X 21" on the label.
I think old. I got them from XP100 here on the board. He said they were new in the wrapper .They were still sealed but the cardboard looked faded.
I'm wondering if this is a customer service from Hornaday issue

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Believe I would take the die apart and use a flash light to see if there is any rust or dirt inside. You can also polish the inside by wrapping a piece of 1200 grit emory cloth around a dowel pin or drill bit. Or you can also use a drimel with a cloth polishing bit and use polishing paste to clean up the inside.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe I would take the die apart and use a flash light to see if there is any rust or dirt inside. You can also polish the inside by wrapping a piece of 1200 grit emory cloth around a dowel pin or drill bit. Or you can also use a drimel with a cloth polishing bit and use polishing paste to clean up the inside.
OK will tear it apart and look

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
The Hornady dies for my .45 acp, are excellent dies, smooth and polished. These were older dies that I bought from a friend a couple years back. I LIKE 'em! I also have a set of .40 cal dies by Hornady, I don't have a .40, but they did fine when I used them the one time....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I torn it down and polished the inside' Looks better and I resized about 10 rounds and found no brass slivers inside. The scuffs are about gone. At least gone enough I can live with it.
Thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts