SD40VE Range Report

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ArmoredMonster, May 10, 2017.

1. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

You really think I could care less if I am on your ignore list or not.
    BTW, have you found the example yet where different weight 9mm ammo causes 18-24 inch grouping? Never mind, your ignoring me......

2. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon to over oil the slides and make the timing an issue. I have a Bersa Thunder that is timing sensitive. I called Bersa and got the problem/suggestion from them. After cleaning I will q-tip the slide w/ gun oil then follow up and wipe it off. Same with the barrel. If I do that, it is great. Add oil (full drop on each slide and drop on top of barrel and exercise the slide will give me FTF's. Not sure why it is so timing finicky, but it is what it is. I have friends that have the same gun and can go weeks and no oil or others that you'd swear it just came off the exon valdez.

carver and mogunner like this.

3. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My post regarding trying different ammo wasn't meant to imply that the entire problem was solely the fault of the ammo, and I apologize for not being more specific.

My first rule of dealing with problem firearms is if you can't find something specifically wrong with the firearm itself, is try different weights and manufacturers on the ammunition, ESPECIALLY when you run into feeding problems. The huge variances that I ran across in factory loaded ammunition (as well as squib rounds) was a big factor in deciding to start reloading my own. Magtech was never a great performer in anything that I shot it in.

I owned a SW40VE. Trigger took a lot of getting used to, had a definite tendency to pull it to the right. As some noted, learning where to stage the trigger made a big difference but nothing beat just shooting it a LOT. It also shot low, swapped a Glock HiVis front sight onto it which took care of that problem.

No point in starting a pissing contest, folks. Unless you're there when he's shooting it, or shoot it yourself, all you're doing is trying to make guesses based on your own personal experiences...which may or may not apply in this case.

If you get a couple more experienced shooters to try it out and get the same results, I'd be contacting S&W and letting them know whats going on with it.

howlnmad, carver and jedwil like this.
  4. pbrady

pbrady Active Member

Don't miss my SD 40 at all. I'm considered a pretty good shot and some days my targets would look like that. Good advice given previously solve the feed issues first then work on groups a trigger job will probably be in your future as well as some basic lessons

5. ArmoredMonster

ArmoredMonster Member

I did get some targets from Walmart and 100 round Winchester 165 grain FMJ ammo. Hopefully that'll help my cause.