Second hand store gunstock

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kody24, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

I was a few minutes late picking up my son yesterday and his mom took him to a second hand store down the street from where we are supposed to meet and when I got there we went in and looked around, you know how kids are in second hand stores, they just gotta look. There was a composite stock poking out of a bin of canes that caught my eye, it had a distinctive notch on the left side where the bolt release is on '98 mausers and browning rifles, and a $10 sticker on it. Well worth the risk. I have a Hawthorne 30\06 built on a large ring FN action with a wood stock in crappy shape and my dad has a browning A-bolt short action with a nice stock he wants to stay that way. It's definitely not a stock for a large ring mauser, the bottom metal is close, really close, but the action is too fat up front and the bolt release doesn't line up. It is also definitely not a short action browning stock, it looks right except that it's for a standard length action, same screw spacing as the 98 mauser, too long for the short action. It does have a red dot that would sit behind the bolt, and there is no notch on the right for a trigger mounted safety, which would indicate a shotgun style safety similar to dad's browning.
    I'm going to bring it with a friend's the next time I visit to see if it fits his 98 mauser that's a different style than mine, this mystery must be solved.
    Anyone else pick up cheep useless crap like this every time they find it?

crystalphoto likes this.
  2. JONWILL

JONWILL Well-Known Member

I have a magazine that has me completely baffled. Got it in the box of misc parts at the local gun shop. I thought it was for a Tanfoglio but not the case. Looked all over the internet and gunshows and can't find one like it or a gun that it will fit. Need to take a picture and post it here. I bet someone can identity it

crystalphoto likes this.

3. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Post it, @JONWILL, someone has on, has seen one, used to own one, etc.