The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I’m researching an old revolver that belongs to a friend.

It’s marked “U.S. Revolver Co.” on top of the barrel, 5-shot, top-break, I believe it’s .38 S&W, with a 3-1/4” barrel. Looks like it’s nickel plated, but the plating is in poor shape. The serial number is 862XX (no alpha prefix) and the same number is stamped on the frame under the left grip panel, under the top strap, and under the trigger guard. There is also a “2” stamped under the right grip panel.

I would appreciate any information you could give me!

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
About all I can tell you is that your revolver was manufactured from leftover Iver Johnson second model frames that were designed for black powder and not intended for use with smokeless powders. We have a couple of guys here that will be along that can tell you everything you’d like to know.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Your revolver was manufactured in 1916 by Iver Johnson using surplus 2nd Model Safety Automatic frames. US Revolvers were sold thru the mail and were quite popular as they were manufactured until 1935 or so.. It is considered a blackpowder frame and not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

These were manufactured in .32 S&W and .38 S&W, and there is no way to confirm the clambering by the serial number. They added a prefix rhe following year in 1917 that was caliber specific. A .38 S&W is similar in diameter to a .38 Special/.357 Mag, 9mm or .380 ACP. A .32 S&W would be noticeably smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About all I can tell you is that your revolver was manufactured from leftover Iver Johnson second model frames that were designed for black powder and not intended for use with smokeless powders. We have a couple of guys here that will be along that can tell you everything you’d like to know.
Thanks!

Your revolver is chambered in .38S&W.
That was my guess, thanks for confirmation!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your revolver was manufactured in 1916 by Iver Johnson using surplus 2nd Model Safety Automatic frames. US Revolvers were sold thru the mail and were quite popular as they were manufactured until 1935 or so.. It is considered a blackpowder frame and not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

These were manufactured in .32 S&W and .38 S&W, and there is no way to confirm the clambering by the serial number. They added a prefix rhe following year in 1917 that was caliber specific. A .38 S&W is similar in diameter to a .38 Special/.357 Mag, 9mm or .380 ACP. A .32 S&W would be noticeably smaller in diameter.
Thanks for the information, I didn’t realize it was quite that old. Probably not worth much due to poor condition, but still an interesting piece of history. Thanks for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts