Seeking recommendations

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by ms6852, Jul 12, 2017.

1. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Seeking recommendations from LEOS, EX LEOS, or anyone arrested by a LEO. My nephew will graduating from the police academy an wanted to buy him a flipper or spring assisted knife for every day carry. Something in the $150-$300 range. What would all of you recommend.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    dbcooper likes this.
  2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

Look at the Benchmade blue line

3. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Those knives sure take some abuse. I watched a guy use his knife to break (not cut, BREAK, with the knife blade as a lever) a security seal on a semi-trailer. I don't know what brand it was, but the knife was not damaged in the least.

Broot and ms6852 like this.
  4. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

I saw two benchmade knives at the base exchange priced at $159 and $169 one of them was difficult to open one handed and the higher priced was easier to open but not as smooth as I would hope for. I'll check the website for the blue line, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

dbcooper likes this.
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ms6852 likes this.
  6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just bought my father a Pro Tech and he loves it. It's a little 2" blade, that's all they'll let us have here in Ca. Booooo

I paid $135

ms6852 and Broot like this.
  7. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll check them out.

dbcooper likes this.
  8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Consider a "First Responder" type knife. Something with a duel edged blade, both smooth, and seriated. Along with a glass breaker on the end of the handle. And you don't have to spend a small fortune to get a good knife either.

dbcooper and ms6852 like this.
  9. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Great idea, I was more focused on self defense and not the greater picture of his job duties that could expose him to a variety of scenarios, THANKS.

dbcooper likes this.
  10. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

Hey, look what just popped up on TFF
    https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/th...tary-2-knife-88-23-shipped-after-code.174109/

I have this knife and have owned it for over 2 years.
    Excellent blade
    I paid close to $150 for it. I guess the prices are coming down on them
    These are also USA Made in Golden CO out of S30V , flat grind with a nice big thumb hole to open it even with gloves on

There is nothing about it I don't like

carver and crystalphoto like this.
  11. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

What is it he's going to use this knife for?

12. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

I really do not know. I just thought I would gift him a nice reliable knife that he could use as an everyday knife he could carry. Right now I am thinking of either the Trident elite by SOG, or a benchmade. I guess I would like it if it afforded him the opportunities to use it as a first responder type of knife as well as a self defense to making tooth picks and baseball bats out of trees should he choose too.

dbcooper likes this.
  13. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

Think I may be a little late, but . . . ..

A Ka-Bar TDI law enforcement is a fixed blade that is incredibly useful. ($50)
    Or
    If you are looking for a folder Benchmade Barrage is very robust and uses great steel. ($150)

Or you can get both. The Barrage (full size) is a great EDC, and the Ka-Bar goes on your off hand side to be used for, well, go look it up, you will see.

ms6852 likes this.
  14. Hovannes

Hovannes Member

While with a SAR unit I carried a Spyderco Rescue because my main task involved slicing through seat belts/ropes etc..., for which the serrated Rescue excels(I think it's still in production.)
    Lately, the Deputies around here have been buying S&W Border Guards with non serrated blades. G
    I've had the opportunity to handle one and it's good quality for such an inexpensive knife.

carver likes this.
  15. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

I finally decided on the SOG Trident Elite knife it covers what I think would be necessary as a first responder, the ability to break a window, the ability to cut a seat belt, and it is spring loaded for self defense should the need arise. I feel good about the decision, thanks all of you for your recommendations they were all great and helpful in guiding me towards this decision.

jedwil and crystalphoto like this.