The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in thoughts from persons who shoot .22 LR auto pistols with regularity. I haven't owned one for years, but I can see that such a pistol would be a great help in getting my wife to (re)learn the fundamentals of trigger squeeze, sight picture, breathing, etc, before transitioning to a center-fire defensive pistol.
I'm INCLINED to go with a Ruger 22/45, since it most closely resembles my P-35 (the 9mm pistol that she shoots best). Other possibilities are the Browning Buckmark or a Hi-Standard non-target pistol. I haven't researched other possibilities yet, but intend to. Price is A factor, but not THE ONLY factor. I MUST stay under $500, and prefer to stay south of $400. If the .22 LR auto pistol shooters on this forum know of another brand besides those mentioned with which they've had particularly good results, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
22,056 Posts
I have a S&W Victory. It is super easy to clean and very accurate. I bought it as it was about $100 cheaper than the Ruger Mark 4. Mine works with all ammo. Never a jam or FTF. I love shooting it. My only problem with it is I think it is ugly. I just don't like the looks of it.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

I have a cheap red dot on mine and can get consistent one-hole groups at 15 feet.

· Super Moderator
47,547 Posts
High power Browning. The Ruger 22/45 would make a fine understudy IMHO.
OK, thank you ral. I know Ruger had a "P" series a few years ago, so I wasn't sure!

I have two Ruger MkIII, 22/45 pistols. One is a standard one and the other one is a "LITE" with a shorter barrel that is fluted and threaded. They are good pistols and were a joy to shoot, I just have not shot either one of them in quite a while. When shooting standard velocity or hypervelocity ammo, I never had a problem with either one of them. I bought the LITE one because it is threaded and I could attach my suppressor. It will not cycle with Subsonic ammo, and now I have other .22 pistols that are more fun to shoot (Kel-tec).

· Registered
8,521 Posts
OK, thank you ral. I know Ruger had a "P" series a few years ago, so I wasn't sure!

I have two Ruger MkIII, 22/45 pistols. One is a standard one and the other one is a "LITE" with a shorter barrel that is fluted and threaded. They are good pistols and were a joy to shoot, I just have not shot either one of them in quite a while. When shooting standard velocity or hypervelocity ammo, I never had a problem with either one of them. I bought the LITE one because it is threaded and I could attach my suppressor. It will not cycle with Subsonic ammo, and now I have other .22 pistols that are more fun to shoot (Kel-tec).
You prefer the KT 22s to the Ruger MKs?😳

· Premium Member
454 Posts
I have 2 pistols my grand daughter shoots all the time.

Browning Buckmark, Might jam up at first.
SAW Victory, Her favorite pistol. Both are dead accurate up to about 30 yards with a Browning red dot.

Reactions: dwcars

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd LIKE to spend BOUCOUP $$$ and find a High Standard Victor in good condition or a 5" bull-barrel Ruger, but weight is an issue. She's 60, and has some upper body orthopedic issues, so holding heavy pistols at arm's length for protracted intervals is something of an added challenge.
So "middlin' weight" is probably best.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
I'd LIKE to spend BOUCOUP $$$ and find a High Standard Victor in good condition or a 5" bull-barrel Ruger, but weight is an issue. She's 60, and has some upper body orthopedic issues, so holding heavy pistols at arm's length for protracted intervals is something of an added challenge.
Get a ruger with the lite upper barrel light as a feather

· Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
She's 60, and has some upper body orthopedic issues, so holding heavy pistols at arm's length for protracted intervals is something of an added challenge.
Kosh, if that's the case, look for a HS Sport King Lightweight SK-100. Mine came with the 4.5" Bbl, and I found the 6.75"Bbl on ebay for it. Well balanced with either Bbl, and an accurate pleasure to shoot with SV .22 ammo. Usually find one in decent shape in the $400 range.

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,398 Posts
I like my 22/45 for general plinking fun. It's incredibly accurate and has a trigger that's a bit less than 2.5 lbs even though I've never touched it. My wife also shoots it better than any other pistol she's tried.

With that said, mine is an older model. I guess it's an MkII 22/45. The MkIV is much more desirable from a disassembly standpoint, but I've heard that the trigger from the factory is around 4.5 lbs. I'd have to improve that immediately. I also believe the heavier 5.5" barrel on my MkII makes it easier and more stable to shoot, so I wouldn't go with a MkIV unless it either had a heavier barrel, or if it was a Lite model I'd always want to run a suppressor to add weight out front. Maybe I helped... Maybe not...

· GUNZILLA
9,479 Posts
I I recommend either the browning or the ruger, regardless of which you choose, since it is a semi-auto I recommend that you do not use subsonic or standard velocity rounds until the gun is broken in. Stick to high velocity rounds so that it may cycle the action. I have a browning buckmark and it eats anything I have a smith and Wesson 41 and it is new and only likes high velocity rounds, just my 2¢.

Reactions: Kosh75287

· Registered
55 Posts
I bought my wife a Walther P22 because it’s small but still comfortable to hold and very lightweight, if I remember correctly it weighs just a pound unloaded. You can usually find them for under $400 if you shop around. They are a little finicky at first but once you get around a hundred rounds through them they have worked flawlessly in my experience. My wife was getting good groups at 50 feet right out of the box. I liked it so much that after I purchased hers I had to buy myself one, great little shooters.
Air gun Black Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun

1 - 20 of 71 Posts