The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I wish the 22/45s were around when I was buying my MKIIs. It wasn't until later that I noticed them. The sweetest .22 I've used though was an older S$W 41 with the longer barrel. I remember long before those looking at the HS target models. Never did fire one but they seemed to also have an excellent reputation and many models to choose from.

I never should have let an old MKII 5.5" with a Wichita rib out of my hands. That was probably the fastest, most accurate one I'd played with. The longer govt barrel (actually a cut down 10 to 7"heavy) was a tad more accurate at 50 meters. They were all fun though and you didn't have to reload at night.

I never have tried the lighter models mentioned but that may be the way to go for her, especially if the triggers aren't too heavy.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Have you considered the S&W Victory? I have both a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and the S&W Victory. Both are great shooters. While I love my Ruger's, you shouldn't overlook the S&W. JM2C

Reactions: gvw3

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I bought my wife a Walther P22 because it’s small but still comfortable to hold and very lightweight, if I remember correctly it weighs just a pound unloaded. You can usually find them for under $400 if you shop around. They are a little finicky at first but once you get around a hundred rounds through them they have worked flawlessly in my experience. My wife was getting good groups at 50 feet right out of the box. I liked it so much that after I purchased hers I had to buy myself one, great little shooters.
View attachment 265417
I gave some thought to the Walthers, but one of the things I'm trying to keep an eye on is a training pistol which "mimics" the 1911A1 or Browning P-35 as closely as possible, in terms of grip size/angle, thumb safety position/ operation, and the like.
I've liked every Walther I've shot in every caliber (not sure what I'd so with a P-38, though), but the constraint to treat this as a training pistol must take priority.

·
GUNZILLA
9,452 Posts
I gave some thought to the Walthers, but one of the things I'm trying to keep an eye on is a training pistol which "mimics" the 1911A1 or Browning P-35 as closely as possible, in terms of grip size/angle, thumb safety position/ operation, and the like.
You should then consider a 1911 rimfire conversion kit.

Reactions: ral357

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've liked every Walther I've shot in every caliber (not sure what I'd so with a P-38, though), but the constraint to treat this as a training pistol must take priority.
I have a Colt 1911 chambered in 22LR. Haven't used it a whole bunch at the range yet, but I've been happy so far. I get good groups with it and it's encouraging me to learn more discipline while shooting. I paid less than $500 for it new at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I'd be interested in thoughts from persons who shoot .22 LR auto pistols with regularity. I haven't owned one for years, but I can see that such a pistol would be a great help in getting my wife to (re)learn the fundamentals of trigger squeeze, sight picture, breathing, etc, before transitioning to a center-fire defensive pistol.
I'm INCLINED to go with a Ruger 22/45, since it most closely resembles my P-35 (the 9mm pistol that she shoots best). Other possibilities are the Browning Buckmark or a Hi-Standard non-target pistol. I haven't researched other possibilities yet, but intend to. Price is A factor, but not THE ONLY factor. I MUST stay under $500, and prefer to stay south of $400. If the .22 LR auto pistol shooters on this forum know of another brand besides those mentioned with which they've had particularly good results, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks in advance.
Ruger Mark IV; expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd be interested in thoughts from persons who shoot .22 LR auto pistols with regularity. I haven't owned one for years, but I can see that such a pistol would be a great help in getting my wife to (re)learn the fundamentals of trigger squeeze, sight picture, breathing, etc, before transitioning to a center-fire defensive pistol.
I'm INCLINED to go with a Ruger 22/45, since it most closely resembles my P-35 (the 9mm pistol that she shoots best). Other possibilities are the Browning Buckmark or a Hi-Standard non-target pistol. I haven't researched other possibilities yet, but intend to. Price is A factor, but not THE ONLY factor. I MUST stay under $500, and prefer to stay south of $400. If the .22 LR auto pistol shooters on this forum know of another brand besides those mentioned with which they've had particularly good results, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks in advance.
Look for a Buckmark or an older Hi Standard H-D Military. You love either one~!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I cleaned quite a few of those older Hi Standard H-D Military .22s when our local police chief dropped a footlocker of them off at my house for safe keeping. I guess the reservist who was entrusted with them was having a suicidal episode. Later, when it passed, he noticed I'd cleaned them and thanked me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Lets see .22 pistols, maybe I need another as have only this many:
S&W Compact M&P
Llama 1911 style (2ea)
Browning compact 1911/22
Star Model F (4ea)
Sig P 938 with .22 conversion unit
Walther post war German PPK
Colt Frontier Scout .22
Ruger Single Six (flat gate)
maybe more the brain is not cooperating
and at least 12–15 rifles from Winchester 1890’s to a Ruger American.
also keep about 25-30,000 rounds of ammo on the shelf for times like now and ultra high prices. Shooting old stuff like Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, and a bunch of other long gone brands of .22 ammo. Twenty two’s are fun!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Lets see .22 pistols, maybe I need another as have only this many:
S&W Compact M&P
Llama 1911 style (2ea)
Browning compact 1911/22
Star Model F (4ea)
Sig P 938 with .22 conversion unit
Walther post war German PPK
Colt Frontier Scout .22
Ruger Single Six (flat gate)
maybe more the brain is not cooperating
and at least 12–15 rifles from Winchester 1890’s to a Ruger American.
also keep about 25-30,000 rounds of ammo on the shelf for times like now and ultra high prices. Shooting old stuff like Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, and a bunch of other long gone brands of .22 ammo. Twenty two’s are fun!
Looks like you need some ruger mark pistols

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Ruger Mk IV that was my "go to" 22 pistol. However, I recently acquired a Browning 1911-22 that is a joy to shoot and has taken it's place!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts