The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Most any of the full size target 22 type pistols are pretty good. I've always had issues with smaller ones like the p22 and ppk/s. My ruger Mk II target mdl will eat any 22lr I've ever tried in it including old corroded ones. It also shoots about 1/2 - 3/4" groups at 25yrds.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I got a Ruger SR-22 for my wife and we both love it. I bought a GSG1911-22 for me and it is a joy to shoot. Doesn't jam or FTF and is dead eye dick with regular crappy Federal!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd be interested in thoughts from persons who shoot .22 LR auto pistols with regularity. I haven't owned one for years, but I can see that such a pistol would be a great help in getting my wife to (re)learn the fundamentals of trigger squeeze, sight picture, breathing, etc, before transitioning to a center-fire defensive pistol.
I'm INCLINED to go with a Ruger 22/45, since it most closely resembles my P-35 (the 9mm pistol that she shoots best). Other possibilities are the Browning Buckmark or a Hi-Standard non-target pistol. I haven't researched other possibilities yet, but intend to. Price is A factor, but not THE ONLY factor. I MUST stay under $500, and prefer to stay south of $400. If the .22 LR auto pistol shooters on this forum know of another brand besides those mentioned with which they've had particularly good results, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Ruger, Browning or even the S&W. I shot them all but decided to go the Browning Buck Mark Target route about 20 years ago. I wanted to get into handgun silhouette shooting with open sights and this gun is a hole in a hole shooter when I do my part. I also use this gun for squirrel/cottontail hunting. I have never had any kind of malfunction with it, but then I always shoot good ammo through it and keep it clean and properly lubed. I have a cheaper gun to shoot the lesser quality ammo through. Here is my choice.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input, fellas! It sounds like I saw was headed in the right direction to begin with, but y'all added some things that would not have occurred to me.
NOW, I just need to do the hard part and buy one, soon. THEN, I'll be able to tell the tired old joke:
"I recently got a .22 pistol for my wife. Best trade I've made in a long time!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m a big fan of most anything Ruger but recently I bought aTaurus TX22 it has eat about every thing I’ve thrown at it without a hiccup. When they first came out their was some negative reviews but Taurus seems to have corrected any issue’s I’m somewhere around 2000 rounds with only two ftf they were very obviously ammo problems just my two cents worth

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my wife a Walther P22 because it’s small but still comfortable to hold and very lightweight, if I remember correctly it weighs just a pound unloaded. You can usually find them for under $400 if you shop around. They are a little finicky at first but once you get around a hundred rounds through them they have worked flawlessly in my experience. My wife was getting good groups at 50 feet right out of the box. I liked it so much that after I purchased hers I had to buy myself one, great little shooters.
View attachment 265417
I got the FDE, love it! Also purchased some goodies from TandemKross for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Browning Buckmark, ALL the way. 👍 View attachment 265423
Gorgeous~! Just watched a video on YouTube by .22plinkster which said nice things about it.

I wish the 22/45s were around when I was buying my MKIIs. It wasn't until later that I noticed them. The sweetest .22 I've used though was an older S$W 41 with the longer barrel. I remember long before those looking at the HS target models. Never did fire one but they seemed to also have an excellent reputation and many models to choose from.

I never should have let an old MKII 5.5" with a Wichita rib out of my hands. That was probably the fastest, most accurate one I'd played with. The longer govt barrel (actually a cut down 10 to 7"heavy) was a tad more accurate at 50 meters. They were all fun though and you didn't have to reload at night.

I never have tried the lighter models mentioned but that may be the way to go for her, especially if the triggers aren't too heavy.
I'm partial to the High Standards, both the older HB Military and the Supermatic Citations~!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Gorgeous~! Just watched a video on YouTube by .22plinkster which said nice things about it.

I'm partial to the High Standards, both the older HB Military and the Supermatic Citations~!
Our local chief of police once brought me a small footlocker full of HB Militaries. Seems the fellow in the National Guard who was entrusted with them had a serious drinking problem and went through sort of a suicidal period. While I kept them safe, and safe from him, I gave them all a good cleaning. He thanked me when he came out of it.

I came close to buying one of those Supermatic Citations once. I think I was torn between it and the shorter model with the removable weights. iirr, I bought a Ruger .45 conversable instead, :rolleyes: after passing on a gorgeous Abilene in .357
At the time I wanted something in a big bore and that was all they had.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Our local chief of police once brought me a small footlocker full of HB Militaries. Seems the fellow in the National Guard who was entrusted with them had a serious drinking problem and went through sort of a suicidal period. While I kept them safe, and safe from him, I gave them all a good cleaning. He thanked me when he came out of it.

I came close to buying one of those Supermatic Citations once. I think I was torn between it and the shorter model with the removable weights. iirr, I bought a Ruger .45 conversable instead, :rolleyes: after passing on a gorgeous Abilene in .357
At the time I wanted something in a big bore and that was all they had.
I know that you're aware of the manufacturer of the pistols used by the U.S. eam to win at the Olympics some time ago. It wasn't Colt, and it wasn't Ruger~!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Reactions: chaswea

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
I'm partial to the 103, Supermatic Citations. Finest, yet not the most expensive .22 semi-autos I've ever owned. In fact I hove one shooter which is extremely clean, and one NIB which rests quietly and securely in my safe with other important valuables~!!
Wasn’t exactly sure what this animal was so a quick search enlighten me. They have been going for $2000 to almost $40000 for good examples on the action sights :oops: :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've shot my brother's Mark II and wasn't terribly impressed with the trigger. Yet all the High Standards I've fired had great triggers. I think that trigger has a pretty significant impact on accuracy with a handgun "out of the box" is difficult to beat with a Smith revolver or a High Standard. Buying a Ruger then having to buy and install a Volquartsen trigger is more than I want to mess with. Then if your Ruger has to be sent back to factory for anything, out comes your expensive trigger~!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've shot my brother's Mark II and wasn't terribly impressed with the trigger. Yet all the High Standards I've fired had great triggers. I think that trigger has a pretty significant impact on accuracy with a handgun "out of the box" is difficult to beat with a Smith revolver or a High Standard. Buying a Ruger then having to buy and install a Volquartsen trigger is more than I want to mess with. Then if your Ruger has to be sent back to factory for anything, out comes your expensive trigger~!
Everything is held in with a couple pins on a ruger it's pretty easy to change things out and there so many aftermarket parts Available they are the ar-15 of the pistol world.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well since you aren’t going full Target , I would suggest a S&W 422 Target. I’m S&W cheerleader but it stopped with 422/622 series. The newer generation S&Ws are not up to my standards. I’ve had them all and didn’t keep them long. Buying new $500 budget would be some kind of Ruger. I don’t like the new generation stuff with plastics. Love the old Hi-Standards, Colts and Brownings.
The 422 S&W is good trainer. It’s accurate and easy for women and kinds to handle. Came in 4” & 6”.
The Target has adj sights and nice grips. They can be found for $300-$500. Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't see where you can get anywhere near your money back when you buy one of these new versions. I'd recomment you Increase your budget and buy a High Standard. If you want to get rid of it or just don't like it, you probably will be able to get every dime back when you sell it~! They are not chased after like a Woodsman or a Model 41 so the prices have not been run up to the moon. People who buy them know their firearms and recognize quality and accuracy in their handguns, and they know what brand was carried to the Olympic by the American team I bought, in the not too distant past, a "like new" Model 103 Supermatic Citation from a dealer at a gun show for $700

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
In past two weekends I have seen several Hi STDs for $700 range. One was a Victor. Never had one but was there top of line when they folded. I got a 41 at same show because weather killed show and dealers were crying. They are a bit heavy for beginners and definitely a carry in case to range gun. Although I’m in process of streamlining a beater set of grips for field use. Hard to find a holster for 41.
The magazines for Hi-STDs are going high but so are 41 mags. I bought 10 in Oct/21 for [email protected] I bought 10 to get free shipping. Glad I did, they have doubled in 4 months. What dwcars said above is true. The new generation guns will not increase in value like the old school stuff. Drive it off the lot and you lose 25%-30% of value. Buy old school in nice shape, take care of it and worst you can do is break even.
O yes
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

41 - 60 of 70 Posts