The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still hunting squirrels. I have a question. Has anyone here used segmented .22 bullets? CCI claims they kill faster. I'm tired of having squirrels run off and get lost before they die.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think shot placement matters most. I've used 22 shorts in the past and they died before they hit the ground. Do you have a scope ?

In some of the places I hunt them, I'm regulated to shotgun only. I use a single shot 410 with #4 shot and aim for the head.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I wait for ethical head shots, I'll get one squirrel per year. Most chances I get are 40 yards off. At that distance, the gun and ammo are consistently good for 3/4" at best, from a bench, I'm shooting unrested from a folding chair, and a squirrel's head is about 1" across.

I know people claim they can hit squirrels in the head consistently at 40 yards, even with a pistol. And everyone can bench press 400 pounds on the internet!

·
Registered
376 Posts
If I wait for ethical head shots, I'll get one squirrel per year. Most chances I get are 40 yards off. At that distance, the gun and ammo are consistently good for 3/4" at best, from a bench, I'm shooting unrested from a folding chair, and a squirrel's head is about 1" across.

I know people claim they can hit squirrels in the head consistently at 40 yards, even with a pistol. And everyone can bench press 400 pounds on the internet!
Well Bob I've never hunted squirrel from a folding chair. I have dove, but not squirrel.
So I guess I just get closer to them then you. I also use tress to help steady the 22 rifle if need be.

·
No Power Options
13,378 Posts
Everyone wants a head shot. Here`s what I learned years ago hunting old high timber that a shotgun might not be effective. (Shotgun #1 choice) Head shots can freeze a squirrel. Meaning he locks up in the tree never to let go. If you hunt for a bag limit each day it adds up. I learned long ago to shoot them just like a big game animal. No meat loss and the bigger thing.......no game bag with a pint of warm blood in it. Your always going to lose a few, nature of "small" game hunting. #1 is shotgun with #5`s for pass through and easy to find if your picking them out. #2 in rimfire......lung/heart shot. JMHO
Shoot one with a Stinger and see what it does.....standard velocity hollow points have worked for longer than I`ve been around. Early season I have used SubSonic solids with great success.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not a squirrel hunter, but I used to hunt ***** with dogs. I used 22 CB caps to kill ***** out of a tree. Quiet and it worked well. The dogs were happy to finish the odd **** which didn't die, then fall. After following your squirrel hunting posts, I'm kinda getting interested in giving it a try. Back when I was a commercial fly tyer the tails were always good to have around.
Now that I have a can to screw onto my 22, subsonic ammo makes for a great swamp hunt for nutria. If you have them near your area they are a blast to hunt at night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not a squirrel hunter, but I used to hunt ***** with dogs. I used 22 CB caps to kill ***** out of a tree. Quiet and it worked well. The dogs were happy to finish the odd **** which didn't die, then fall. After following your squirrel hunting posts, I'm kinda getting interested in giving it a try. Back when I was a commercial fly tyer the tails were always good to have around.
Now that I have a can to screw onto my 22, subsonic ammo makes for a great swamp hunt for nutria. If you have them near your area they are a blast to hunt at night.
Back when i used a .22 for squirrel hunting, I used a "Marbels Gamegetter" die to convert standard velocity lead bullets to "semi-wadcutters". A .22 bullet was placed in the die, and a file used on the protruding bullet tip to flatten the bullet even with the die top. This produced a semi-wadcutter type bullet that really knocked the squirrels out of the trees. Don't think I ever lost one after using them, and the slight loss of bullet weight did not appear to affect accuracy. If you can find Winchester Dynapoint bullets, they are of a similar concept. Nowadays, I hunt squirrels with a .32 caliber black powder flint lock. Don't get as many squirrels, but have great fun trying.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Mepps fishing lures used to buy squirrel tails. I collected and sold lots of them when I was a youngster back in Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other day I read that squirrels can see blue and yellow, and of course, I wear jeans. I'm wondering if I would get more close shots if I made an effort to blend in.

Yesterday, I read something I wrote about shooting squirrels two years back. I shot two in the head, and they didn't die right away. I ended up shooting one in the head 4 times. It seems pretty obvious that you have to go through the CENTER of the head, and realistically, no one can do that past 20 feet or so in the field without a rest and a very cooperative squirrel. They will lie and say they can, but they can't.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
It seems pretty obvious that you have to go through the CENTER of the head, and realistically, no one can do that past 20 feet or so in the field without a rest and a very cooperative squirrel. They will lie and say they can, but they can't.
You said earlier that a squirrel's head was about 1 inch across. If I couldn't hit a 1 inch circle at 20 feet, I would quit shooting and take up needlepoint. If you want to call me a liar, come on up and I will show you.

·
Registered
376 Posts
What type of 22 rifle do you use ? Do you ever practice shooting without a rest ? I can still hit a shakes head at 20 feet, so i don't think a squirrel head would be much of a problem at 20 feet. If you give a squirrel a little time, it will stick it's head around the limb/tree to see what you are doing.

I just wear jeans and whatever color shirt i grab in the morning. I started wearing a orange hat so the newbies won't blow my head off.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
The other day I read that squirrels can see blue and yellow, and of course, I wear jeans. I'm wondering if I would get more close shots if I made an effort to blend in.

Yesterday, I read something I wrote about shooting squirrels two years back. I shot two in the head, and they didn't die right away. I ended up shooting one in the head 4 times. It seems pretty obvious that you have to go through the CENTER of the head, and realistically, no one can do that past 20 feet or so in the field without a rest and a very cooperative squirrel. They will lie and say they can, but they can't.
If you had to shoot that tree-rat in the noggin 4 times, you may need to correct your ammo choices. I use hollowpoints and within the past few years CCI gamepoints.

·
Premium Member
12,433 Posts
May, 2004 until Feb., 2005, 78 squirrels shot with a 36 cal. flintlock, open sights. 75 head shots, some out to 35 yards. That was the last season I kept track and was my best "shooting" season. I was 51 at the time, turned 52 in Feb of '05. But I've only been hunting squirrels since 1958 so I'm still new at it.

Couldn't begin to say how many I've killed with a 22, S, L or LR and I've never used anything but LRN, never hollow points after shooting a rabbit with one.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know, I know. Everyone is Superman on the Internet, and memory and pride play tricks on all of us. I consistently shoot sub-MOA with a good rifle at 100 yards, and I shoot into about 1.5" freehand with just about any pistol at 7 yards, and I can post targets to prove it, but I must be a bad shot because I can't hit a squirrel's brain CONSISTENTLY at 30 with rimfire ammo, which is inherently inaccurate. Okay. I'm the only one.

I didn't say I can't hit a 1" circle at 20 feet. I put most pistol rounds into an inch at 21, and I could certainly do it with a .22 rifle, shooting level shots at targets that don't move. I said no one can hit squirrels (which don't hold still) in the head consistently, offhand, with rimfire ammo, at a greater distance. You're going to have to have a rest, a short shot, squirrels that are extremely cooperative about posing, or some other help.

As for the claim that squirrels shot in the head fall dead every time, it's a busted myth. I checked around, and I learned that many experienced people don't shoot squirrels in the head because of exactly the problems I mentioned. If you don't go through the brain itself, the squirrel may get up and run off. They do it all the time, not just to me, but to many other people. You would think the concussion of being shot in the head would knock a squirrel out every time, but it's not even close to true.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts