The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What precautions do you take in your daily life outside your home. Outside home includes going to the grocery store or anywhere.

I watch people and read their mannerisms and even the clothes they wear, what they are doing etc.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Keep my eyes and ears open, notice what my
dog is doing and carry a large caliber gun.
pretty much the same here. I'm usually working in my shop outside the house, I generally am within an arms reach or so from a long gun but I have two handguns on me at all times.

situational awareness and my dog for early warning

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
  1. Carry a pistol and a knife
  2. Be aware of my surroundings
  3. Don't do anything stupid

Number 3 saves you a lot of trouble. Sometimes attacks are random, but that's the exception.
There are parts of town that are stupid for a twenty-something guy like me to walk through alone at night. So I don't.
Criminals lie, cheat, rob, assault, and murder their friends. They get drunk and high and out of control. Don't associate with them. Don't be around them. Avoid them like the plague.

A little bit of proactivity saves a lot of headaches.

Odd little trend: Three for three responses so far usually have a dog with them. My girl is sitting out front right now. I can tell by the difference in her sounds if it's the UPS guy or someone she doesn't recognize that just pulled in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What precautions do you take in your daily life outside your home. Outside home includes going to the grocery store or anywhere.
By your post I assume you mean anytime you leave your home to go somewhere. As someone else already posted, I carry two guns. A S&W Airweight .38 snubbie and a Ruger LCP. I am also into the situational awareness thing. I try to keep aware of what is going on around me. I stay away from "bad" areas if possible. I don't frequent bars or drink.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Always armed with a handgun. ALways aware. Never in denial. And limit my involvement with anyone I do not know, all while knowing many people are unpredictable and not to be trusted. ALways have a battle plan and a tactical mindset!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. General James N. Mattis

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm guilty as charged for profiling people. If someone has their pants down to their knee's, I'm going to watch them closely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having been confined in a wheelchair for over 2 years, I have my 3 faithful dogs beside me at all times. We're keen together. Have a 1911 in my crotch for back up and a sawed off shottie under the blanket. I will be overrun but i'll surely take a few if the doggies fail.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
My sidearm is always with me as a fail safe, but first and foremost situational awareness, because not every threat can be countered with a firearm. I'm far more worried about getting hit by a car than finding myself in a situation where I need my gun.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
As a part of your situational awarness, be sure to look for, and recognize cover! It's one thing to spot a threat, it's another to engage in a gun fight. Be aware, cheat, but win! Always shoot from behind cover if possible.

Coming out of a grocery store one time, I noticed two men, one standing on the left of the doors, and one standing on the right of the doors. I stopped, and checked them both out really well. As I did this I noticed another man standing beside a pickup in the parking lot, about six vehicles down. I moved a very short distance so other folks could get out of the store, but kept an eye on all three men. I then moved over to the nearest car in the lot, got between it, and the one beside it. Cover. I smoke, so I took the time to light up, while watching them. After a short while the guy by the truck made a sign to the others who then went to the truck, they all got in and drove away. I didn't move untill they were gone, and I was keeping an eye on the rest of the parking lot as well.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
stop, look, look again...

being aware is the first step..learn to actually see what you are looking at..not just look at it or through it .....identify threats!

I was taught if you can see it and really SEE it, you can then be prepared for what you need to be ready for..

second step..cover or avenues of egress (escape or lanes to better cover)

third step..decide if enguagement is nessary or escape is the best option...then act on that decision..dont second guess..it will usually be the wrong thing to do!

last step if all clear..enjoy the scenery..life is just too short to ignore the sights..enjoy!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
stop, look, look again...

being aware is the first step..learn to actually see what you are looking at..not just look at it or through it .....identify threats!

I was taught if you can see it and really SEE it, you can then be prepared for what you need to be ready for..

second step..cover or avenues of egress (escape or lanes to better cover)

third step..decide if enguagement is nessary or escape is the best option...then act on that decision..dont second guess..it will usually be the wrong thing to do!

last step if all clear..enjoy the scenery..life is just too short to ignore the sights..enjoy!
Good post!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really didnt feel threatened in this situation, but it did make me super sharp for a moment and has caused some reflection on the best way to handle a situation.

GROCERY STORE: (again)
seems alot of stories come from here.

Leaving walmart the other evening it was around 6-7PM. I was by myself. Carrying a Sig P238 in an uncle mikes pocket holster in my front right pocket, and I also had a neck knife in a kydex holster around my neck.

I noticed a very large man talking to another shopper in the parking lot. He's very big. Much bigger than I. Bald head....Wrap around sun glasses. Polo shirt and shorts. He leaves that shopper and starts heading towards me. I'm pushing a buggy to my car.
He sticks his hand out to shake my hand and greets me. although it seems natural to return the hand shake, I refused and spoke up asking him what he wanted. He of course was asking for money. I declined and walked on towards my truck watching him from behind approach other shoppers.

I couldnt help but think what a mistake it would have been to reach out and shake his hand. he would have had me in his grasp and I would have been unable to draw my weapon. It was about that point I remembered the neck knife. Now that is a great concealable weapon and I suggest everyone get one.

Just some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I have to agree that General Mattis has the right solution.

I am always armed.
If there is a business that forbids that, I find a competitor that has a better attitude.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
We can't carry a gun in Illinois (maybe next month) so I carry a knife. I always have a tire iron in my van for work under drivers seat. If we get concealed carry next month in this state I will carry my Baretta.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree with all the situational awareness answers. If your looking you can see most situations before they become situations. If you see it coming go the other way.

The best way to win a fire fight is not to be in a fire fight.

Be peaceful, be polite, be humble, be armed and be ready in case the first three don't work out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The real reason I carry a very heavy cane.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts