Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see nra is selling this.

ugh.. has it come to this already...

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
No need to buy it in Idaho. We have castle doctrine.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
No need to buy it in Idaho. We have castle doctrine.
Yea, so did Zimmerman. Dont kid yourself. The castle doctrine is great. It does not cover you in all situations. Not a bad idea to have all bases covered.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm deffinately considering this and expanding my HO policy to max. ( it's actually les sthan 100$ a year to nearly tripple the umbrella part of the policy

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I'll have to check for ours. However, if people come on our property to steal, break in etc. We are justified to use lethal force under Idaho law.

When I was a teenager studying marine biology our teacher taught us something profound. If someone breaks into your home, kill them. If they fall outside your window, drag their body over the window sill so that the body is inside. If there is no weapon, go get a knife from your kitchen that matches nothing else and put it in his hand. Then call the police.

The dead man can not testify and he can not sue you for having shot him.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
When I was a teenager studying marine biology our teacher taught us something profound. If someone breaks into your home, kill them. If they fall outside your window, drag their body over the window sill so that the body is inside. If there is no weapon, go get a knife from your kitchen that matches nothing else and put it in his hand. Then call the police.

if you do drag the body back in then forensic evidance will show that you did just that...then you are guilty of tampering with evidance and therefore eveything else you have told the invesgitators is suspect also..not a can of worms I would want to open...the knife part may be good advise though...even if the perp fell out the window.....:eek:

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I'll have to check for ours. However, if people come on our property to steal, break in etc. We are justified to use lethal force under Idaho law.

Like someone has already said, touch the body and you will likely spend time in prison. Back in the day before they had CSI teams, this type of advice was probably doable. You better check your castle doctrine real close to make sure there is a clause in there that states they dont allow for the perps families to sue you...even after shooting someone dead, that is the most common situation people find themselves in. I dont care what your state law says, you may still have to hire an attorney.

·
Super Moderator
28,096 Posts
Like someone has already said, touch the body and you will likely spend time in prison. Back in the day before they had CSI teams, this type of advice was probably doable. You better check your castle doctrine real close to make sure there is a clause in there that states they dont allow for the perps families to sue you...even after shooting someone dead, that is the most common situation people find themselves in. I dont care what your state law says, you may still have to hire an attorney.
Here in Tn we are covered under the castle doctrine law but as in the case with Zimmerman, he wasn't on his own property so it may be something to check into.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
The castle doctrine extends outside of just your property. But like you say, everyone should know what the law says. Chances are, you will need an attorney. Also, in Zimmermans case, it was Jessie Jackson and the crew that got him arrested. Otherwise, he would still be a free man. The sheriff department saw the shooting as justified. They were pressured into pressing charges due to Martin being "just like obamas son if he had one". Otherwise, totally justified shooting, closed case.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
We just passed a proposition last election that says you cannot be sued if someone gets injured/killed while in the process of committing a felony against you.

The previous law had "no explicit constitutional protection for crime victims. However, Article II (Section 31) and Article XVII (Section 6) of the Arizona Constitution generally protect the right to recover damages in case of death or injury without limitation". Both parties could sue each other.

The current law "amends the Arizona Constitution to exempt a crime victim from liability or damages incurred by the perpetrator of the crime if it is classified as a felony offense. Victims would be protected, for example, from lawsuits by a person (or someone on their behalf) who was harmed while attempting, engaging
in or fleeing from a felony crime.
"

The sad thing is with over 2 million total votes 417,000 voted against it. 20% of the votes wanted to let criminals sue. So at least 20% of the population are lawyers looking to save their income or criminals, sometimes both.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I pay about $10 a month for CHL insurance. I, too, live in Castle Doctrine state, but the peace of mind is worth the cost.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
According to Mas Ayoob, expect at least $50,000 in court/ lawyer costs, and 5 years of your life to be tied up in the courts. The major thing to think about, can you live with taking another human's life? Knowing that you can fire a killing shot is one thing. Doing it and having to live with the fall out is another.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
According to Mas Ayoob, expect at least $50,000 in court/ lawyer costs, and 5 years of your life to be tied up in the courts. The major thing to think about, can you live with taking another human's life? Knowing that you can fire a killing shot is one thing. Doing it and having to live with the fall out is another.
Hopefully the vast majority of people that have made the decision to carry a firearm have already made this decision or they shouldnt be carrying a firearm. I think the main issue here is the legal ramifications. Many states have made it difficult for the perp or their families to come after you and thats the way it should be. But unfortunately, not every state has these laws in place and its up to you to make sure you are covered. I think we all have learned a lesson with the Zimmerman case. Even a justified shooting can be tried in court and it can cost you jail time and untold thousands in legal fees....nothing like being prepared...

·
Registered
9,419 Posts

That does not cover civil suits. Maybe the castle doctrine covers you from going to prison but it will not do you any good if the family of the dead criminal decides to sue you. And maybe the family will not have a leg to stand on in the way of suing you but, it will take an Attorney to represent you to prove they don't have a leg.

The very second a person dies the body immediately sends out a by-product of adreneline (if you will allow me to call it that) and that by-product reveals how every fiber of the body was positioned when they died. Once the body is moved that blue print becomes altered and will prove without a doubt in a court of law they were moved. Leave the body right where it was at.

If you were to shoot a man without a weapon and you had to put one in his hand to make it appear it was self defense then you did not do your part as a gunman. If a man does not have a weapon, then don't shoot unless you can prove your life was in danger. If he has a weapon, then do what you have to do.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Castle Doctrine may be a good defense for a justified shooting, but the state is not there to defend you. You can be on your own and you might get pretty lonely and broke.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i remember a while back someone was pushing a law that any ccw carrier had to also have liability ins.

seems we are headed that way..... defacto...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.