Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor SP

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by English Bob, Jul 28, 2020.

1. English Bob

English Bob Active Member

I'm still working on my ammo savings account. I'm stocking up so I'll have a few years' worth of every caliber on hand. Then I'll buy new stuff when I want to shoot, and I'll keep the stockpile for a hopefully-not-to-be future under President Kamala Harris.

I decided to grab a few hundred rounds of Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor FMJ. It's cheap and very accurate. Now I'm wondering if I should also pick up some soft points for hunting. I feel like I should have ammo that's suitable for large animals in case I or someone I know needs use firearms to get food.

I have never hunted large animals like deer. There are a billion different bullets out there. Is there any reason why I should hesitate to invest in S&B soft points?

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

No, none whatsoever. Deer don't take a lot of killin'. I haven't killed one with a store bought bullet in 25 years, just my home cast. Haven't used store bought ammo in almost 60 years.

drymag likes this.

3. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I use S&B for my Savage 12FV 26" 6.5 CM for target practice use only. I am not a hunter unless you call hunting for cheap ice cream a sport!
    I initially didn't get very good results with the S&B untill I moved the bullet out a bit. I wasn't able to tell much, if any difference, between 10 or 20 off the lands. In fairness to the round, I did not chrono, nor reach out to any serious range.
    Since moving the bullet out decreases pressure, I need to chrono the before and after then sacrifice a cartridge for it's powder and do a workup from the already lengthened round.
    The measurements I have will NOT be your measurements as all these chambers, etc can vary one to the next. Also the comparator I use will not be cut like the next and so on. But you get the idea.
    Strelok has the unmodified S&B starting to drop below 1150 fps at 800 yards in a perfect world. My modified S&B's are less. The bullet itself is fun to shoot at shorter ranges, but to reach out, need to use a better bullet (the BC of this round is low).
    I have better CM bullets, but these were so cheap and I end up with once fired cases when finished.

The Hornady A-Tip 135gr bullet is 1154 fps at 1400 yds per Strelok in a perfect world. But they are too spendy to mess with. I also don't know how they handle the heat on dry fire warning days.

Attached Files:

4. English Bob

English Bob Active Member

The FMJ and soft points would be for different guns. I have a new RPR, and I'm using it with the FMJ, but I don't have any real hunting rifles. Closest thing is a K31. I'm planning to get a Tikka T3X Lite in stainless.

I was thinking I'd put an Athlon Ares 2.5-15 on it. I know nearly nothing about hunting, but I did try to shoot coyotes in my pasture at 100 yards, and it seemed like low power was a must.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

All my hunting ammo is store bought and it is Remington Core-Lokt for my 30-06 and 30-30. Here comes my confession many many moons ago before cell phones and the internet I bought a bunch of ammo for both my rifles about 300 rounds each. At the time my intention was to shoot it , keep the brass and learn to reload.

Over the years it did not happen. I would only use 4 rounds during hunting season, 3 to check zero and one for the deer or elk. So a box literally lasts me 4 to 5 years. I have boxes still with the label from $5.99 to $7.99 for my 30-30 and 06. I have Berger and Sierra bullets for my 06 that I reload for long distance shooting only but do not reload for hunting, as the Core-lokts have done the job with one round to the deer or elk.

sharps4590 likes this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Don't go buyin' in to all the horse manure that's out there about bullets and premium bullets. If you buy your ammo, (evidently), for a bullet you need nothing more than a Sierra Game King, Hornady Interlock, Remington Corelokt or, if you can find any the, Winchester Silvertips. All the other bullets are good, Barnes, Noslers, Woodleigh's ad infinitum but, unless you're hunting critters that can bite or hit back, you don't need to spend a fortune on hunting bullets. This latest "mono-metal", all copper, $4.00 bullet craze has me apoplectic, rolling in the aisle, laughing. It isn't new, just a different material. What the Sam Hill is a cast bullet if not "mono-metal"? Oh sure, they have traces of tin, antimony and arsenic but can be categorized as "mono-metal" for all intents and purposes. They've only been killing critters since man started hunting with them...500 years ago? I bet the copper bullets have traces of other metals as well though perhaps not at the percentage of hard cast bullets.....:twocents:

ms6852, English Bob and howlnmad like this.
  7. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I wish we hadn't mentioned that whore's name...I cannot imagine the United States of America under her thumb. The Constitution would probably be declared out of date by executive order.

howlnmad and Smoke like this.
  8. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Yes go on & buy those SP bullets because under a President like Kamala Harris you never know what we will need to hunt. LOL

sharps4590 likes this.