Selling Off Guns To Get Another New One You Want

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by flyingtiger85, Apr 19, 2017.

1. JRL

JRL Well-Known Member

I'm a buy/sell/trade guy who does so to keep my interest level up, permit me to try lots of different styles, manufacturers and configurations and... stay within my budget.

I counted once and found that I have purchased just over 3 times as many guns as I currently have in inventory.

I have "upped" my game and own fewer but some higher quality guns compared to when I first started.

I love the hobby- shooting sports and reloading.

mark40, sharps4590, TN Outlaw and 2 others like this.
  2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I have on occasion bought bargain basement priced guns I had no interest in shooting or keeping because I knew I could use them in trade for something of greater value that I was interested in shooting and keeping.

I also used to pick up badly executed muzzle loading kit rifles and re finish and refit them properly and sell or trade them for other projects or tools.

joe45c, sharps4590, TN Outlaw and 2 others like this.

3. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Unless a snake is in an area were kids, dogs or livestock are I see little need to kill them. Given half a chance they will avoid you. The one that hits you after you step blindly over a log is just as surprised as you. The only aggressive viper I've encounter was a cotton mouth that struck my kayak and the tried to get in with me.:eek: Glad I didn't have a pistol or I likely would have blown a couple holes in the kayak.:oops: As it was my paddle proved up to the task of repelling boarders.;)

4. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

Of my collection, the only one I would sell or trade at this point would be my Ruger 22/45. But that would only be to fund the purchase of a Mark IV, so I'd be replacing it with a very similar gun.

5. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I can avoid them, I wouldn't kill them. This is strictly for something close where I would need to do so.

joe45c, TN Outlaw and Kweeksdraw like this.
  6. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

Sold some to get a Weatherby about 15 years ago. Some times wish I had my Winchester 77 that I bought when I was 15 with Green Stamps. And the Browning 1922 32ACP with Reich marks, and my Mossberg 183K 410 my parents gave me for Christmas, my first gun. And the 1902 Colt 38 Calibre Rimless Smokless 6"". There were some others that were no longer serviceable. A DWM P08 that would go full auto. But it all worked out. Still have the fine Weatherby and a lot of other nice guns. But if I were doing it now, I would keep em' all, and hang the non functioning ones on the wall.

jwdurf, CrookCountyGO and TN Outlaw like this.
  7. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

I sold a 1911 to a buddy who wanted it really bad. I kind of regret it but I know it found a good home and I have a standing offer that I can take it and shoot it anytime I want. I almost sold me prized gun to buy a highly engraved and carved Schutzen cottage built in 1908 - glad I kept the gun, sad I did not whip out a credit card though.

To OP's question: Have I? No. Would I consider it? Absolutely. I like my pistols 1911 style, ventured off that road once and regret the purchase so much I am confident there will be no regret if I sell it to fund something else.

Anyone here had experience, good or bad, selling on the internet? I stalk the sites but prefer FTF or my LGS.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

PlanoAttorney, with respect to selling on the Internet. I have several buying and selling experiences - most via GunBroker.com - a few direct from gun shop. One bad experience on Gun Broker but to be honest it was clearly my fault. All others have been good. Will NOT buy a used gun via Gun Broker again.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  9. Sut

Sut Member

To start with, In 66 years of married life, to one woman, I'v never bought a gun with money out of household operating expense money. All of my guns have been bought and paid for by money earned by taking odd jobs, buying, and selling things, working on guns, and gun swapping, and selling. I can think of only one gun sale of many many deals, that I didn't regret. I let a very well known, prominent Browning dealer think that he was giving me a real bad fleecing on a Browning Broadway Trap shotgun, that he had not done his homework on, and the fleecing was done to himself, by himself, in front of quite a large audience, at a large gun show. I really enjoyed that one! Of all the guns that I got rid of to get others, that I just had to have, I've regretted each and every one badly. Many of them, the ones that I really liked, have been replaced, at many times the cost of the original guns. It wasn't planned that way, but was a necessity, following my own rule about buying guns.
    Sut Tatersaul The feather merchant

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  10. mark40

mark40 Member

JRL, I pretty much follow the same philosophy. I'm not a collector or an accumulator. I have a range rotation of sorts plus my two EDC guns. So up to now, I've tried a lot of guns through the methods you described above.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't sell guns. I only buy them. All my guns are shooters. I have no safe queens. I try to be careful when I select a new gun so I don't end up with one I don't shoot. I only have one I made a mistake on but I still shoot it.

CrookCountyGO, joe45c and Kweeksdraw like this.