The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at a new pawn shop yesterday to check it out . They didn't have much in guns that interested be but did see some ammo for sale and saw 1 box of 7.7 Jap . I reload 7.7 Jap but the box looked old and interested me . The price of course was crazy . Looking at the rounds them selves it was clear all were reloads . Mix mash of brass . I reload but don't ever sell ammo cause of the liablity issue but like this , at a pawn shop which of course sells used items has bought themselves or in a pawn gotten this ammo and sells it . Something bad happens . Who would it come back on , the pawn shop or who sold it to the pawn shop and reloaded it ???? Have always heard if you plan to sell ammo better have good insurance but if someone reloaded some and then "pawned" some they had made then lost it what happens ?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Unless the box was clearly marked remanufactured, like 3D used to do, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot cattle prod. Someone got greedy at the pawnshop for ammo to sell at todays' insane prices bought whatever people were willing to sell. Stupid. I would only consider it if sold at component prices. As for who can be held legally liable if one of those hand loads hurts someone? I would hazard a guess that would be both the loader and the shop.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
It would depend on the particular state as to the legality. The seller would be the first in line for any type of damages do to faulty remanufactured ammo. Then possibly the person who reloaded it. The federal government also could get involved do to non licensed and taxation of ammo manufactured. I do believe that if an incident were to occur with reloaded ammo, even if a waver was signed by the purchaser, a smart lawyer could make a case of it and more than likely win for the plaintiff because of all the laws surrounding the sale of ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would only take reloaded ammo from someone I know and trust for sure !! I have plenty 7.7 at home anyway the box was what got me me to look . I asked even knowing these were reloads If the were , the person there said no new !!!!! I brought up the odd brass to him and he said well maybe , they were told was a old never fired box of ammo . I won't be back .

·
GUNZILLA
7,010 Posts
I am a firm believer of you are liable, for me it is how I was raised. You made a decision the outcome from that decision falls on you. One can get into the legalities for law suit purposes and the only one that come out ahead are the lawyers. In the meantime you are maimed permanently or at worse dead. So ask yourself if the money is worth spending on iffy ammo or from what your pittance amount you get after the lawyers get theirs.

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
That pawn shop is setting themselves up big-time. That is a lot of risk. Bet lawyers would love it. Someone uses it in a crime or in some sort of accident there will be one huge law suit. People get mighty greedy in times like these.
What Jim said, the "only way" that could be sold without liability, is to clearly state it's for components only, and have the buyer sign a legal release that they understand that upon purchase. Even then, state laws may even prohibit that.
But what if that pawn shop was licensed to sell firearms and ammunition?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I would have struck up a conversation about the ammo,asked a lot of the same questions asked here,asked if you had to sign a waiver so you don't sue them,etc,etc innocently...Then i would have offered them 20$ for components.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been given mystery reloaded ammo by a few people who found it or were given it by someone else and like you said pulled the bullet and dumped the powder then used it myself . I looked around on a few sites and found a few advertising reloaded ammo for sale at current high prices of course . Some it shows how many times the seller has sold stuff before . Many are pretty new . Must be reloaders who have a surplus and trying to make money off the current ammo shortage . But with the risk we have been talking about just not worth it . All it takes even if it was all loaded to spec is a low life to monkey with a round to "MAKE" it blow up just like them whiplash car accident or slip and fall people in stores who do it for a living . I have given ammo to some people and it has crossed my mind now "can they get me if by chance something did happen" . Wonder if giving ammo falls into same catagory as selling ammo on liability ???

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
My LGS has been selling reloads for quite a few years, I used to reload .40 S&W for him. I do not know if he has a license for it or not, never asked. He would give you a small discount on the loaded ammo if you brought back the brass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am not a lawyer. More importantly, I am not YOUR lawyer. If you are asking for my opinion-

To manufacture ammunition for sale requires you have a FFL as a manufacturer of ammo, and to pay the Federal Excise Tax on what you sell. Remember it was the tax man that got Al Capone.

As far as who would be liable for damages from a defective ammo issue? The seller. His defense COULD be what is called a "closed box" sale. For new ammo. But if he sold what he SHOULD have known was ammo reloaded by a hobbyist, that defense is not likely to hold up.

The shop, in turn, may have a claim against the reloader. Moment of practical, please. A commercial reloader- let's call them 3C- screw up their quality control. As a direct result it destroys my rifle, mars my outstanding profile, scratches my truck. Betcha they are carrying $1 million in product liability insurance, with a $20 million umbrella policy. A private hobbyist, call him Bobby Lee Schmuck, HAS no insurance, lives in a rented double wide, drives a 10 yr old pickup, and HAS no money- reason he was selling/pawning reloads. If the pawn shop sues him.... what are they going to do with a 10 yr old truck?

Call me paranoid, but paranoia is what allows you to GET old. I don't shoot anyone else's hobby reloads. Period.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It comes back to that age old saying "cover your butt" . I can see a common person reloading and selling ammo to make a few extra bucks and it is a hobby they enjoy doing . Had thought about it myself over the past few years . The whole process and steps are fun and relaxing . That's why we do it . I have bought brass just so I could reload when weather was bad and couldn't shoot to use ammo or neck and back issues kept me from shooting . But in back of my mind the what if thing kept popping up . And right now I am sure we all have family , buddies and even people we don't know that well ask us if we could sell them some ammo . If I know them and they need some ammo to have for just in case I just give them 50 rounds or so . But if I don't know them good enough sorry I don't . Sure family and friends have taken people to court over stuff but will take my chances there .

·
Registered
284 Posts
The only reloads I will shot are those I loaded myself. I've even had a couple friends offer me a few free rounds telling me to."Try these, they really zing". Not out of one of my guns or with me holding someone else's gun unless I know exactly what I'm shooting.
In the case of the pawn shop there is always a good chance the bullets were stolen and pawned anyway. They could be hot in more ways than one.

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
The only reloads I will shot are those I loaded myself. I've even had a couple friends offer me a few free rounds telling me to."Try these, they really zing". Not out of one of my guns or with me holding someone else's gun unless I know exactly what I'm shooting.
In the case of the pawn shop there is always a good chance the bullets were stolen and pawned anyway. They could be hot in more ways than one.
Exactly.

I had a box of 7mm RM stolen from my truck that I had loaded.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts