Series 70 and 80 and 1911forum.com

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ElmersFudd
    (12/2/01 3:39:58 pm)
    Reply Series 70 and 80 and 1911Forum.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gweetings 1911 fans

Since I have asked Santa for a *new* 1911 and I have been vewy *good* for a very long time, I have been scouring the web to learn more about the 1911.

So what is the difference between a sewies 70 and 80 ? Are there other sewies' ? Is a commander just a name for the full-size 1911 ? Does anyone know why 1911forum.com seems to be unavailable ? whew.......

That's all.....

AGunguy
    (12/2/01 4:23:56 pm)
    Reply Re: Series 70 and 80 and 1911Forum.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome aboard, Elmer. My grandfather was named Elmer. I know that's probably not your real name, but I like it anyway.

I am not an expert on the guns you are asking questions about, but once owned a nice 70s series, but never had an 80s series.

The 70s series had smooth flat grip panels and the barrel bushing was a slotted affair that was supposed to make the barrel hold steadier in the slide...therefore, better accuracy was the hopeful result.

Maybe someone that knows their Colt semi-autos will come along and give you the straight poop.

I've got a very nice .45 acp Randall up for grabs on a trade in the forsale threads, check it out.

Gunguy

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/2/01 4:27:00 pm)
    Welcome to the board.
    The Colt Series 80 was introduced in 1983. The basic difference is the addition of a firing pin safety on this model.
    The Colt Commander is 4.25" barrel and the Gov't model has a 5" barrel.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/5/01 10:40:11 pm)
    series 80 also incorporated a firing-pin stop (safety), that only was moved when the trigger was pulled.

If you want a reasonably priced, good quality 'first 45' go for a standard Springfield model. (the 1991?)

Avoid Llama (spanish? brand) like the plague.

Para-Ordinance are interesting, decent price.

Colt still produces some decently-priced models, but I have no idea what their quality is now.

Wilson, Baer, many other gunsmith / custom shop guns are fantastic (and pricey).