The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a darex work sharp electric knife sharpener and it is by far the best tool i have ever bought.i have always prided myself in my ability to sharpen a knife,with the exception of a dull gerber.everyone in my family has me sharpening their knives by hand.this work sharp is amazing,it uses three belts and gives you a razor sharp blade every time.ebay had it on sale for 67.50. old semperfi

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I use a lansky. It does a great job and keeps my blades razor sharp.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I use a lansky and then use my 6 inch bench top buffer. I use polishing compound sticks on one wheel and then just the bare buffer wheel on the second. After properly buffing the blade I can shave a piece of 10 lb. mono four or five times. If you cut yourelf with that blade, you need super glue to close it. Also soon the blade looks like a mirror.

I once met a man on the way to a deer stand. He was dragging a nice doe to his vehicle. I asked why he hadn't field dressed it. Turns out he forgot his knife. I loaned him mine, telling him it was "sharp". Apparently he didn't beleive me and proceeded to slice open the belly. The entire 4" blade went in the whole way and stommach content exploded from the deer. His face was in the line of fire. I offered to sell him my soda from my pack for 20dollars. (kidding) I gave him a soda I had for the stand. His last comment before he headed to the car was "That was the sharpest knife I've ever used".

Trust me, when you polish and buff the edge, it is sharp. (Warning, the buffer will grab the knife and stick it in the ceiling or what ever is in its way.):eek:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
When I pull my sword out of the rock......
it is as sharp as sharp can get. :):)
I still tweak it on ceramic.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I am teaching both my daughters how to sharpen knives. It is becoming a lost art in today's world

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I am teaching both my daughters how to sharpen knives. It is becoming a lost art in today's world
There you go! I agree with the art of sharpening a knife. What will all these fancey electric sharpeners be worth when the power goes down?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There you go! I agree with the art of sharpening a knife. What will all these fancey electric sharpeners be worth when the power goes down?
That's why all my blades are convex ground. No electricity required. The best knife grind IMO.

Tom

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
That's why all my blades are convex ground. No electricity required. The best knife grind IMO.

Tom
The Scandi grind is another good gind too. Easy to resharpen with a stone. You can just lay it down on the stone, pivot the knife on to the grind, and it becomes obvious that you are holding it at the correct sharpening angle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use a lansky with various honing stones as well. I am trying to get better though at hand sharpening my knives like my buddy does but I am no where near as good as he is at this point. It is also a fun hobby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts